Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 11:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
At my workplace, people are encouraging working from home via conference calling and zoom as much as possible. Home schooling is next! lol.

Took the subway and saw a crew of MTA workers wiping down everything. Everything.

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/...onavirus-in-ny

NY's 2nd case of coronavirus is Westchester man in his 50s, Bronx school closes over virus fears.

There's a news conference right now on NY1. MTA officials saying everything is being disinfected (including Access a ride buses, LIRR, Metro North) starting from last night & will continue throughout today.
Wow, it takes a pandemic for them to finally clean things properly! Maybe this is a silver lining.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Wow, it takes a pandemic for them to finally clean things properly! Maybe this is a silver lining.
The subway cars are disgusting, just think about how many homeless people that lay on the ground and never takes a bath are laying on benches as well as slobbering all over the place.

Subway cars should be cleaned every night. If you do sit, make sure you throw your clothing in the wash afterwards and disinfect your bags and gloves.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:07 PM

61 posts, read 39,169 times
Wow, first time hearing MTA cleaning their subways and buses in a very long time even when there currently was a flu outbreak in NYC before the coronavirus. Media and hype changes everything. Who knows if they are just using the same towel or mop to clean the floors, poles, seats, etc..

Saying you are not racist, then telling people to fear and stay away from a certain race is pretty much the definition of a racist.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:42 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Of course you have every right to be fearful of being near Chinese people until this blows over. We aren't even ordering Chinese food right now in my house. It all started in China, but they will call people like us racists. Actually, now that Italy has a huge amount of cases, I am telling my Italian American family to stay away from Italians or people that recently traveled to and from Italy. We will be making our own Pizza in my house for now. We need an Italy and Iran ban right now as well. In my opinion we need to ban all air travel from other countries until the threat of the virus is over. I guess most others reading this will think that is racist too

I'm not sure but I think that travelers from Italy are now being checked for symptoms in Italy and at their arrival in the USA. Banning all flights to/from Italy may be the next step which would be unfortunate, as Italy is a NATO ally, but necessary. Americans are warned by the State Dept not to travel to Iran due to risk of arbitrary arrest and now Covid-19 but some travel there anyway. A friend's daughter visited Iran (her husband is a dual-citizen) last year and had no problems entering or leaving the country with her US passport. No direct flights of course but they took Turkish Airlines which operates a 1-stop flight from NY to Tehran.

Iran warning - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Italy warning - https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Old 03-03-2020, 12:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
How come no reports of homeless people catching coronavirus? All that street living must have strengthened their immune system.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-03-2020, 01:12 PM

515 posts, read 525,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How come no reports of homeless people catching coronavirus? All that street living must have strengthened their immune system.
Well up until recently people who were getting sick were traveling, what homeless person you know that travels to other countries? lol
Now that it's being confirmed that it's possibly spreading without traveling or without direct contact with someone who has it I wouldn't be surprised if what fs us all up here in NYC is a homeless person on the subway who ends up getting it.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Well up until recently people who were getting sick were traveling, what homeless person you know that travels to other countries? lol
Now that it's being confirmed that it's possibly spreading without traveling or without direct contact with someone who has it I wouldn't be surprised if what fs us all up here in NYC is a homeless person on the subway who ends up getting it.
Well with the amount of tourists that ride the subway...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-03-2020, 01:20 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I wonder if the beaches and parks will be empty this year. Technically you can get the flu year round. The reason you have less cases in the summer because people get more sun and have vitamin D to protect them from viral infections.
More like UV rays kill viral particles in the air. Vitamin D is only part of the story

Old 03-03-2020, 01:26 PM

515 posts, read 525,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well with the amount of tourists that ride the subway...
True, but I guess those tourist haven't come in contact with the virus, so nothing to spread to the homeless. But if this thing really is a cause for concern I think it's only a matter of time before it really spreads in NYC and if/when it spreads I think it will start in the subway.
I saw on the news how they were wiping down a bunch of surfaces on the subway and that's the first time in my entire life I've seen the subway being "cleaned" so to me that action alone is making me think that we might be screwed.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorangeblue View Post
Who knows if they are just using the same towel or mop to clean the floors, poles, seats, etc..
The crew I saw this morning were using paper towels and then disposing them into a trash bag. They say they're going to wipe down everything again every 72 hours until the threat is over. The 2nd person who has the virus lives in Westchester and is in serious condition. He lives in Westchester but works in Midtown Manhattan. He commutes perhaps using mass transit so...hence the MTA Wipedown!

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...MrsSPpvhi5fgUc

Last edited by Aeran; 03-03-2020 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City