Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,206 times

Advertisements

But why are you ignoring the fact that the virus in China now is well under control. the problem is more with Italy and south korea and Iran, which you did not mention at all. US banned travel from China almost a month ago. So the risk from travels from China here is zero. Perhaps Flushing is the safest place in NYC, as people there are more cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Given that China was ground zero and the epicenter of the virus, I think Chinese in NY are actually more likely to have it than others with no association to China. This is with the assumption that Chinese in NY are more likely to have traveled to China for vacation, or to see family, or for business. Of course any other New Yorker who travelled to a heavily impacted zone would have the same risk. And then if any of them contracted it from travels, their family or people they live with would then be exposed.

So I’m not sure why you’re complaining that I think Chinese in NY are in general (depending on their travel history and their associates) are at higher risk.

That will likely change as the disease spreads here and then anyone and everyone are at high risk.

This is pretty common sense stuff and I get the feeling you’re just here to pick fights about small things because you get some sort of satisfaction out of that. Whatever.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
From your lips to God's ears. I hope this is all hoopla over nothing. My mom hasn't gone out on her daily treks for a month now and she's getting cabin fever; giving me stress. I haven't changed my outdoor routine at all. Just washing my hands more often and more thoroughly. That's it. Healthy so far...
If you survived this entire winter season without being sick then you are doing the right things to keep yourself healthy. As long as nobody coughing uncontrollable near you then it is not likely to get any virus. It's been a mild flu season but it still kills hundreds of thousands of people.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:21 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's odd, because the narration includes a woman exclaiming that she's never seen it like this ever, not at Christmas, Black Friday, etc. and saying "oh my God" as she looks at the crowd.

I wouldn't know since I don't shop at that Costco but it looks like a massive crowd. And apparently it was a large enough crowd/scene that the Post wrote an article about it. Panicked New York shoppers stock up at Costco amid coronavirus fears
I Stand corrected. I just went to my local Costco for a few things like milk, eggs, and some other small stuff. HOLY WTF!?! The lines were longer than i've ever seen! People are panicking for NO REASON! Relax!

I had to leave and instead went to my local market. Sheesh.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:53 AM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
David Mun: “This corona virus or Wuhan virus is very mild”

vs.

Quote:
Leoliu, Re: Corona Virus:

So….which is it?

Old 03-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
"3rd world practices of farming need to adapt to modern times. [..] Until then wear your masks
and stick to those ridiculous traditions."
It’s never, ever going to happen. (the “3rd world farmers” on the same page AS modern farmers)…..

NEVER……………….

Heck...it “ain’t” even the 7th century - but in 2020, i still have to walk around looking like this:

Old 03-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Painter's jumpsuit. Check.

Kitchen gloves. Check.

Cheap disposable masks. Check.

"That's probably going to be a popular Halloween costume this year."

if we make it to halloween......

Old 03-02-2020, 01:33 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Media loves spreading fear. More money for businesses. There's absolutely no reason to fear when only a handful of people have the virus and it is already March 1. In a few more weeks it will hit 60s and then 70s in 6 weeks.
Worry more about sugar and insulin spikes which cause metabolic disorders and coronary heart disease!

Old 03-02-2020, 01:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
From your lips to God's ears. I hope this is all hoopla over nothing. My mom hasn't gone out on her daily treks for a month now and she's getting cabin fever; giving me stress. I haven't changed my outdoor routine at all. Just washing my hands more often and more thoroughly. That's it. Healthy so far...

Here's some stats for you. While all the websites from the outlets put the death rate at 2% but the actual death rate varies.

Notice that it hasn't killed kids 0-9 years old. It seems the younger you are the more likely it won't affect you.

For people under 50. it is less than 1% fatality, this is not a death sentence. It is on par with most flu except the flu typically kills children.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
The virus has made me realize Corona is actually pretty cheap at most of the bars I go to.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:39 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Anyone notice the market bounce back up 1200 points today or nah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City