Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 03:18 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Oh I agree. Its not ok to have any homeless living on the subway. But people become immune to it when they can just walk by or in a different car. Whats really sad is the city can't handle the problem so their solution is to close the subway for a few hours a night. It's not a solution for the homeless population, it's just another band-aid.
It can be handled but the state asylums have been closed for almost 40 years

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 03:23 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It can be handled but the state asylums have been closed for almost 40 years
Well thats exactly it. They don't want to actually help the people or spend money on them. Instead they come up with all sort of band aid fixes with do end up costing a lot of money. Not to mention causing issues for the city.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:27 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
I will honestly say taking the train in the 90's was more pleasant then now. Or at least on my train line.
Yeah. The 7 line was magnificent in the 90's. It topped every annual list when it came to service, speed, cleanliness, punctuality. It all went downhill during the 20's but...I don't think it was the fault of any mayor or necessarily the MTA. I think the population the 7 line served just exploded and the MTA couldn't keep up.

But...even then. There was always the homeless and panhandling now that I think about it...
But I don't think the show time people were around back then. They came later...and I think they target only certain lines. They never had a big presence on the 7 line. The downtown 1,2 and 3 heading towards Union Sq is where all the showtime people are at. That's been my experience at least.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:35 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. The 7 line was magnificent in the 90's. It topped every annual list when it came to service, speed, cleanliness, punctuality. It all went downhill during the 20's but...I don't think it was the fault of any mayor or necessarily the MTA. I think the population the 7 line served just exploded and the MTA couldn't keep up.
Yah the population is too much. And many people are just nasty with bad manors. I can't stand watching people just toss their trash on the floor of the train or on the tracks. Hold on to it till you pass a garbage can and then toss it.
The other day on my walk, I passed by a guy. He finished his soda and tossed it on the ground. Then unwrapped his sandwich and toss the wrapper on the ground. Mean while he had just passed a trash can. . Who raises their children like this?

Old 05-04-2020, 03:41 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
The other day on my walk, I passed by a guy. He finished his soda and tossed it on the ground. Then unwrapped his sandwich and toss the wrapper on the ground. Mean while he had just passed a trash can. . Who raises their children like this?
I know. I saw a guy after finishing a pizza pie just shove the cardboard underneath the seats. Great way to attract rats and insects. First of all I wouldn't eat a whole pizza pie on the train (or anywhere else for that matter) but if I did I would certainly hold onto the cardboard until I find a garbage bin.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All I'm saying is that the trains have always had a homeless issue and I see no difference between the 90s and today.
The difference is not the homeless issue; it's what was/is done about the homeless issue.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:01 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
The difference is not the homeless issue; it's what was/is done about the homeless issue.
Umm yeah

Nothing was ever done about it and the proof is because we have always had homeless people in the subway

If you're in your house and you see a piece of paper on the floor, do you put the one piece in the garbage or walk past it because its only 1 piece of paper?

I don't care if there's one 1 homeless person in the entire MTA sleeping somewhere within it right now. One is too much. Nobody is supposed to be sleeping or lodging anywhere in the MTA. And it's concerning that some of you have a "homeless threshold."

"I only saw 1 bum this week on the train, things are good..."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-05-2020, 06:56 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Oh I agree. Its not ok to have any homeless living on the subway. But people become immune to it when they can just walk by or in a different car. Whats really sad is the city can't handle the problem so their solution is to close the subway for a few hours a night. It's not a solution for the homeless population, it's just another band-aid.
Please, NYC's budget for homeless/social services is great than entire of some small cities. And people know it, all they have to do is wait for things to hit media as being "really bad", then city ups the ante even more.

https://www.westsiderag.com/2020/05/...ovid-19-spread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:22 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
I took the subway this morning and the homeless are back onboard as predicted. The floors on my R train was layered in some kind of filth. I really think this will be a useless failure as the 11K overnight workers will now have to be in Cramped buses.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:45 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Like one said, it is all a game. Fredo's Big Brother wants a show of force to prove he is doing something.

On another note all these SJW soy boys and karens moaning about how badly the homeless are being treated should offer to take one or more into their homes.

https://gothamist.com/news/mtas-firs...laced-homeless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City