Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 08:26 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Never understood the purported allure of Manhattan. People jammed together like sardines, paying a fortune to live in a three-hundred square foot box with no washer/dryer, no view, no balcony, no outdoor/outside space to call your own. Four paper-thin walls and a flimsy door is your entire universe. The rest of the country has a term for this living arrangement: prison.

Who are these people who wanted to ride in filthy subways as morbidly obese sweatmachines press up against you? We now know the Manhattan subways were virus-plagued illness vectors; if riding around in virus-spreading deathboxes is your idea of culture, have at it.

Everything about New York City, in particular, aids the spread of this pathogen. This includes the dirty and crammed public transportation systems, vertical residential and commercial living which all but ensures you are sharing elevator, work and living space with coronavirus superspreaders, having to share washers and dryers in dungeonlike basements which foster infection like terrariums, too many people with too little space on streets and sidewalks.

The cherry on top is the truly outrageous costs and fees for this Manhattan "lifestyle" (read: pauper's existence). Exorbitant taxes. Filthy apartments. Filthy streets. Rat-and-roach-infested restaurants and subways. No fresh air, no fresh water, no peace, no quiet. Constant noise pollution and aggravation (sirens, construction, your annoying neighbors). Who in the heck wants this? One group that says no: the wealthy and mobile, who totally abandoned Manhattan faster than you can say, "get out now."

In the coming years, Manhattan is going to resemble Pripyat, the ghost city contained within the Chernobyl exclusion zone. SARS-CoV-2 is this city's neutron bomb. Entire business sectors are going to be wiped out and will never, ever come back, because NYC's business model of pack 'em in, charge 'em, get them out, is utterly decimated.

So-called "workshare" spaces: dead. Let's see how NYC finances and the commercial property owners fare when WeWork's short-term renters never, ever come back. Skittish short-term renters will annihilate the business model. WeWork will declare bankruptcy, and the entire financing scheme will soon implode (WeWork is Manhattan's biggest tenant by far). Colony Capital just defaulted on a metric f***ton of debt. Watch the defaults pile up and bankruptcies skyrocket as lenders refuse to roll this impaired paper.

Bottom line, NYC always was a terrible place to live, because zero nature + no space = Hades. Coronavirus has painted in stark relief all of these truths. Those who perceive and understand are out, forever.
Truth!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 08:28 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Never understood the purported allure of Manhattan. People jammed together like sardines, paying a fortune to live in a three-hundred square foot box with no washer/dryer, no view, no balcony, no outdoor/outside space to call your own. Four paper-thin walls and a flimsy door is your entire universe. The rest of the country has a term for this living arrangement: prison.

Who are these people who wanted to ride in filthy subways as morbidly obese sweatmachines press up against you? We now know the Manhattan subways were virus-plagued illness vectors; if riding around in virus-spreading deathboxes is your idea of culture, have at it.

Everything about New York City, in particular, aids the spread of this pathogen. This includes the dirty and crammed public transportation systems, vertical residential and commercial living which all but ensures you are sharing elevator, work and living space with coronavirus superspreaders, having to share washers and dryers in dungeonlike basements which foster infection like terrariums, too many people with too little space on streets and sidewalks.

The cherry on top is the truly outrageous costs and fees for this Manhattan "lifestyle" (read: pauper's existence). Exorbitant taxes. Filthy apartments. Filthy streets. Rat-and-roach-infested restaurants and subways. No fresh air, no fresh water, no peace, no quiet. Constant noise pollution and aggravation (sirens, construction, your annoying neighbors). Who in the heck wants this? One group that says no: the wealthy and mobile, who totally abandoned Manhattan faster than you can say, "get out now."

In the coming years, Manhattan is going to resemble Pripyat, the ghost city contained within the Chernobyl exclusion zone. SARS-CoV-2 is this city's neutron bomb. Entire business sectors are going to be wiped out and will never, ever come back, because NYC's business model of pack 'em in, charge 'em, get them out, is utterly decimated.

So-called "workshare" spaces: dead. Let's see how NYC finances and the commercial property owners fare when WeWork's short-term renters never, ever come back. Skittish short-term renters will annihilate the business model. WeWork will declare bankruptcy, and the entire financing scheme will soon implode (WeWork is Manhattan's biggest tenant by far). Colony Capital just defaulted on a metric f***ton of debt. Watch the defaults pile up and bankruptcies skyrocket as lenders refuse to roll this impaired paper.

Bottom line, NYC always was a terrible place to live, because zero nature + no space = Hades. Coronavirus has painted in stark relief all of these truths. Those who perceive and understand are out, forever.
The water is actually pretty good....

Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
USDefault just hit this entire forum right in the gut. Only mistakes is: a) WeBroke was done before this whole thing. That Neumann character orchestrated one of the biggest known thefts in history, and b) "our" upstate water is delicious.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:39 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:

That's why some of us don't live in Manhattan.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:45 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I hope for the best but right now but the situation looks bleak. All of the attractions that made the city a great place to live are shuttered and when they reopen access will be limited, stressful and probably more expensive.

We are looking at significant cuts to city services like police and that will result in higher crime rates. The pandemic gave a huge boost to remote work and a lot of people will not find they can keep their jobs which were previously tied to this location and move to a cheaper place--or at least not have to commute in every day.

We were lucky to have extremely competent mayor after 9/11 and he led a recovery that not only restored faith in the city but made it better and huge tourist draw. So far, I don't have that same faith in DeBlasio and neither does the Governor who has basically sidelined him. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I'm not counting on it.

One thing to keep in mind though is that just about every other part of the country, and most of the world is going through the same crisis and dealing with economic damage. We'll see which places do better than others I guess.

Last edited by barkomatic; 05-11-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 09:08 AM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
Quote:

the chinese scrubbed their entire city with white foam to clean it everyday, it took NYC how long to figure out we needed to clean the subways?

whats happened to the city is worse then 9-11, now the entire city is contaminated because deblassio and cuomo failed to come up with a plan. now instead of dying in 10-20 years from 9-11 related cancers, you can die of corona virus in 10-20 days.

and now they will be crammed in and dealing with power outages.

everyone inside means everyones blasting AC which means it will drain the grid, good luck with rolling blackouts this summer

Old 05-11-2020, 09:16 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Very bleak portrayal. I think we all can agree that we have some very rough times Ahead but nyc will not be destroyed forever. If it is then it’s the fear factor.
I inclined to agree with this assessment. Could things fall apart in NYC from an economic/population outflow perspective? Absolutely. However all these sensationalist statements don't have actual data supporting them (yet).

I have spent some time in California last year (along with Boston and NYC). One thing I have noticed is that California, particularly the Bay Area, is much further along the 'progressive' trajectory than NYC, is seeing a lot of negatives (homelessness, expensive housing etc.) however the Bay Area had been chugging along economically (at least until the pandemic struck). My fiscally conservative CA based friends and associates have express similar issues as a few people on this thread yet the data has not backed up their views.

Please keep in mind that NYC being terrible economic shape due to the pandemic or progressive policies will not just be limited the City -- this will impact other cities as well, and like it or not, NYC is one of the core economic engines of this country and economic under performance here, means the rest of the country will also be in rough shape.

That being said, I am a fiscal conservative and definitely not a fan of de Blasio or Cuomo, so I will be watching my stays in both NYC and Southern Californiso that I don't trigger any tax residency requirements. While many might think that Massachusetts is still 'Taxachussetts', in reality, the tax structure here is very fair compared to NY and CA. In addition, I made my money in Boston, the City/State has treated me well, so I don't mind my tax dollars going to support the Commonwealth.

Returning to NYC, I do wish the City well because there are a lot of good, hardworking people who are being challenged by the higher cost of living, deteriorating quality or life coupled with a bleak outlook for the future.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It's gonna be tough for NYC to stay afloat with this pandemic even if they lifted the lockdown orders. I'm working for a major financial company as an IT security consultant but also helping them analyze and underwrite best practice for future safe reopening. We are tenatively open in Sept but most managers are agreeing that we will have workers work remote for the rest of the year.

While we are coming up with strategies to keep employees safe if they return to work, many workers especially millennials are leaving the area. There's no point maintaining a $3k+ apt when there's no more nightlife and conveniences left. So many folks are moving back with their folks or leaving for hometown since there is no restriction where you have to be.

I spoke with my manager, he believes we're gonna be like this for 2 years atleast until the vaccine is ready for prime time. Since many of our meetings, there's not a lot of easy solutions. If we reopen, all of the folks in small cubicles will have to move and there's not enough space to ensure safe working distances. We would have to restructure the office floor plan completely.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:37 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Problem with moving to the suburbs is that you start hating life 1-2 years in and get bored to death. There is nothing else like the city, I personally appreciate NYC the most when I go on vacation and come back. This time though NYC is going to be hard fu**ed for several years.

De Blasio is crushing the middle class by taking away any possibility of quality public education and his and his wife's gross mismanagement of city finances will result in some colossal neglect and disrepair. And that is before the crime wave that's about to hit with the lax law enforcement, mass-release of prisoners, and most lately economic desperation.

Commercial real estate has already crashed, residential is next. Investors will swoop in for bargains but they better be prepared to wait many years for a rebound

^this

Old 05-11-2020, 09:40 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
the chinese scrubbed their entire city with white foam to clean it everyday, it took NYC how long to figure out we needed to clean the subways?

whats happened to the city is worse then 9-11, now the entire city is contaminated because deblassio and cuomo failed to come up with a plan. now instead of dying in 10-20 years from 9-11 related cancers, you can die of corona virus in 10-20 days.

and now they will be crammed in and dealing with power outages.

everyone inside means everyones blasting AC which means it will drain the grid, good luck with rolling blackouts this summer
I doubt it, look at all the businesses that would have been running their ACs during the day/evening and they're now closed

Plus most ppl prolly cant afford to run their AC all day long

I could be wrong but thats my guess

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City