Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:20 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times

Advertisements

Not all workers are made the same. They have different personalities and levels of experience. I hear a lot about how WFH has been such a great success but I'm willing to bet most of these are mid to senior level workers. If you are entry level, WFH will definitely slow your career growth. Unless you are one of those few disciplined self starters, most junior people benefit greatly from working alongside more senior people. It's so much easier to walk over to another desk than to have to officially schedule a meeting just to ask a simple question. So perhaps this will hasten more outsourcing because this is where a lot of the junior people are hired. And you can bet once the pandemic is over, Indian tech people will move back into shared offices where they can learn from each other. So the senior people are golden, especially if you are on an established career track that allows you to WFH. Junior people in the US are screwed. They will either become gig workers or just give up, perhaps fueling the tidal wave of social progressives that will have to take over government if they ever want to see their needs met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 11:54 AM

968 posts, read 727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Not all workers are made the same. They have different personalities and levels of experience. I hear a lot about how WFH has been such a great success but I'm willing to bet most of these are mid to senior level workers. If you are entry level, WFH will definitely slow your career growth. Unless you are one of those few disciplined self starters, most junior people benefit greatly from working alongside more senior people. It's so much easier to walk over to another desk than to have to officially schedule a meeting just to ask a simple question. So perhaps this will hasten more outsourcing because this is where a lot of the junior people are hired. And you can bet once the pandemic is over, Indian tech people will move back into shared offices where they can learn from each other. So the senior people are golden, especially if you are on an established career track that allows you to WFH. Junior people in the US are screwed. They will either become gig workers or just give up, perhaps fueling the tidal wave of social progressives that will have to take over government if they ever want to see their needs met.
I think you make a really great point that I hadn't considered nor seen elsewhere. There IS a lot of value of more junior employees absorbing behaviors of more senior people. That's tough to do over Zoom - more like: how do the more successful senior leaders interact with each other, what is their body language telling us, how do they dress (and what's expected of me).

Old 05-13-2020, 12:10 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Not enough ethnic whites left in the city to elect a conservative/republican. There were still plenty of ethnic white areas in the late 80s/early 90s for Guilliani but those days are long gone. Now if Asians woke up and started voting in lock step with the ethnic whites and conservative Hispanic/americans, it could happen but unlikely. I'd love to see an blue/red election map from 1993 when Rudy beat Dinkins if one exist. You would see today blue districts that you'd never believe once were red.

For this reason, NYC has no future in the short term as far as I'm concerned. If you can sell, sell.

NYC needs a moderate outer-borough Asian to run for mayor. He/she can lead a great middle-class movement of all races and ethnicities to victory.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Enough of your scare tactics! I suspect you are secretly a real-estate bottom-feeder trolling for bargains here. I bought my house in 1990. Whatever happens happens. But homes in safe quiet outer-borough neighborhoods like my S.I. neighborhood will always be desirable.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:14 PM

910 posts, read 753,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
NYC needs a moderate outer-borough Asian to run for mayor. He/she can lead a great middle-class movement of all races and ethnicities to victory.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:23 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

Of my colleagues, at least half are looking forward to getting back to the office. A few are totally sold on fully remote and would never go back if given the option. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
The correct approach is a nuanced one that appreciates all people's situations.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
New York has persevered. The city's current residents and businesses may leave due to the skyrocketing costs of living, or for other reasons. But I've learned, as a native New Yorker who has seen 50 plus years of this city's evolution, triumphs and tragedies, that there are people who are lured to this city, and will fill the void of the "natives," to keep the city going!

Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
New York has persevered. The city's current residents and businesses may leave due to the skyrocketing costs of living, or for other reasons. But I've learned, as a native New Yorker who has seen 50 plus years of this city's evolution, triumphs and tragedies, that there are people who are lured to this city, and will fill the void of the "natives," to keep the city going!
. And there are a lot of natives who aren't going anywhere because they still want to be here.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:32 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I took this picture today of everybody leaving NYC

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2020, 11:41 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I took this picture today of everybody leaving NYC

Don't let the waves hit them on the way out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City