Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Violent crime? In Democrat-run cities?? NO WAY!!
Down bot. Bad bot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 10:44 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The supposed decreased productivity (now vs earlier in the pandemic) is probably due to pandemic fatigue. Keep in mind this isn’t a “normal” WFH situation. We’re not just working from home, we are essentially locked indoors and cannot socialize normally with friends and other loved ones. Also consider those with children have an added challenge. It’s not the WFH that’s the problem, it’s the pandemic.
Some people have trouble working while having to monitor and help their kids (also at home) through school. THe reality that working parents have is suddenly not something under the rug.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
This is an assumption, not the reality. My company doesn’t make any decisions without the data to back it up (we’re a tech company that works with big data and data analysis so it’s only natural that we’d used data to determine if wfh is working). We created a WFH committee that analyzed all sorts of invasive workday information (amounts of emails sent over time, number of deals closed, numbers of meetings booked, number of client calls, etc). We even conducted time in motion analysis for some teams that tracked their work day activity: how much time you spend on internal emails, external emails, preparing for meetings, etc. An interesting thing we did find is that a significant amount of time is spent on meetings- lots of them internal. This means that if 4-5 hours of your work day is meetings, it leaves you with little time to do actual work which means you may end up working MORE and ultimately will burn out. My company is now doing things like “forcing” days off and intentionally scheduling mid day breaks where you cannot book meetings so people have down time.

So any decrease in productivity, perceived or legitimate, is likely also coming from people working too much and then getting fatigued. They really don’t have time for “all kinds of personal stuff” during the work day. Add to that a raging pandemic that’s now 8 months in and getting worse, people aren’t holding up so well.
I do and I don't. I do my personal stuff during what would be my commute times or when there is a lull in activity. In the later, I bring my phone with me where I can see any emails or take any calls on the fly. But I stay close to my computer at all times during the work day. It is just in the next room.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
As WFH becomes more commonplace, I can't imagine these types of conversations not taking place between staff and management.
Slightly off topic. My teacher friends have seen some very remarkable things done by parents during live teaching sessions. Note to the room: Wear clothes during school hours.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
At some point companies are going to get tired of having minimal interaction, minimal productivity, work from home situations, and are going to want their employees actually interacting. So at some point, the companies are going to want their employees in the office.

Per a WSJ analysis, NYC is at 13% office occupancy at the end of February 2021.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Large companies reveal a growing trend: Big declines in office space, Crains NY 02-26-2021 (pdf) - http://u.pc.cd/gL9

Old 02-28-2021, 02:18 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wow. A 13% vacancy rate was probably considered high, pre-covid. These are strange times.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:56 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Large companies reveal a growing trend: Big declines in office space, Crains NY 02-26-2021 (pdf) - http://u.pc.cd/gL9
RXR leaders are starting to sweat bullets through the facade

Old 02-28-2021, 06:19 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
People have been predicting the demise of cities since the fall of Rome. Humans are naturally social creatures. We thrive on being clustered together. None of that has changed. NYC will be back bigger and better than ever.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:32 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
People have been predicting the demise of cities since the fall of Rome. Humans are naturally social creatures. We thrive on being clustered together. None of that has changed. NYC will be back bigger and better than ever.
Yep. It's just a matter of time. The million dollar question is when will it rebound not if. That's what I want to know. And how quickly it recovers depends on who is going to be the next mayor, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City