Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 09:50 AM

14 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

NYC could turn into an episode of The Walking Dead and I still wouldn’t go to New Jersey or the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 10:03 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Doesn't read like that. It sounds like some ruralist distopic fantasy of NYC. Anyone who's ever been here would know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
Or someone who was from New York and hated, or who moved to live here but became disenchanted then moved away.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat food View Post
NYC could turn into an episode of The Walking Dead and I still wouldn’t go to New Jersey or the south.
When that happens, it'll be too late for you to leave. Just like in the movie I am Legend they blew up the bridges leaving NYC! In World War Z, Brad Pitt and his family escaped NYC and made it to Newark first.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:09 AM

At some point companies are going to get tired of having minimal interaction, minimal productivity, work from home situations, and are going to want their employees actually interacting. So at some point, the companies are going to want their employees in the office.

As I said before (in the prepandemic timeframe), Facebook used to let it's employees work from home, then decided it hindered productivity and innovation, and ordered them back to the office. Obviously in the short term, the pandemic has changed the rules, putting companies in survival mode. But at some point, and probably in terms of a few months, that will be reversed, once companies come out of bare survival mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's gonna be tough for NYC to stay afloat with this pandemic even if they lifted the lockdown orders. I'm working for a major financial company as an IT security consultant but also helping them analyze and underwrite best practice for future safe reopening. We are tenatively open in Sept but most managers are agreeing that we will have workers work remote for the rest of the year.

While we are coming up with strategies to keep employees safe if they return to work, many workers especially millennials are leaving the area. There's no point maintaining a $3k+ apt when there's no more nightlife and conveniences left. So many folks are moving back with their folks or leaving for hometown since there is no restriction where you have to be.

I spoke with my manager, he believes we're gonna be like this for 2 years atleast until the vaccine is ready for prime time. Since many of our meetings, there's not a lot of easy solutions. If we reopen, all of the folks in small cubicles will have to move and there's not enough space to ensure safe working distances. We would have to restructure the office floor plan completely.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:11 AM

Then your ancestors were idiots. What would NYC real estate purchased in the 1700's be worth today? You're talking, literally, and Astor level fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I'm just so thankful that my ancestors chose to leave Manhattan and Rutherford, NJ in the late 1700's.

And I'm thankful to have been raised in an ultra low cost of living city/region where we had very nice homes and great friends. And we didn't have the pressure to climb the corporate ladder and still maintain a low level standard of living.

And I'm thankful that corporate America allowed me to retire at 58 and enjoy a full life where we don't have to work into our 70s to pay enormous rents.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:38 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat food View Post
Well your missing out. As someone who has lived in five states and am in my mid 20s, NJ has a lot NYC cant offer.. and some southern cities are gorgeous. Im assuming your comment is satire? Or Plain Ignorance?

Old 05-11-2020, 10:38 AM

910 posts, read 752,944 times
As others have already said, I also don't get the "allure" of NYC NOW. Now that the only "attractive" factor for me of living in NYC is basically destroyed (the nightlife and convenience of so many different type of shops open that require gatherings and things that are not safe any longer), I along with millions of others am already packing my bags. I need to get tested for COVID19 this week "just in case" (although I do not think I ever had the virus since I don´t come into much contact with people, thankfully) and then I am setting my eyes on different locations. Without the allure of nightlife and other conveniences that will now be gone for a very, very long time, there is NO POINT of paying NYC rents and COL.

If we add to that:

crappy weather, crappy cramped apartments, dirt, in your face rudeness from all races and backgrounds, a dismal public educational system and public transportation that was already falling apart but that on top of that will now be unsafe AND dangerous for your health (more than it already was) plus expensive too, why on earth would any rational single person with opportunities to work from home in other places that give you more space and cheaper COL and better quality of life choose to stay here?

NYC is done, sorry. It may come back in who knows how many years, but most of us do not have either the desire or the luxury ($$) to wait around so long in the hope that "maybe" things will improve.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:51 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobrSpMwKk4

Old 05-11-2020, 10:52 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Probably the best hip hop song of all time. Run DMC sold hip hop with Adidas and others followed suit.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Yes and no, it's actually Durham, San Jose and Washington!

These U.S. cities are best positioned to bounce back from the coronavirus pandemic, according to Moody's

The rationale being that unlike for a traditional crisis where large cities are at advantage of being able to rebounce quicker, this time, the social distancing is altering that dimension.
That article is making predictions based on density. But density won't matter when the vaccine becomes available in September

The important metrics will be crime, public education,and city services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City