Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 02:01 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I recently had dinner with a friend of mine who until recently worked for JP Morgan Chase. He said that as a company, Chase hates having people working from home, and is doing everything they can to get their employees back into the offices.

The mass move to remote working is an artifact of the Covid Pandemic. When it blows out, companies will review the impact of large scale remote work. With the pressure of the pandemic removed, I'd bet they'll want their workers on a shorter leash.
i agree ... wait until companies review productivity when people are left to their own supervision ...many will be brought back in .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 04:08 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
I personally love working from home.
I no longer wage 2-3 hours a day on commute, money on commute, dealing with gross mass transit or masses of people.
My home office is setup how I want it. My own gear.
I get to see kids more and heave more time in general for myself.

Been looking at homes in Tennessee. Boy does it look attractive.
I can sell my house and almost buy a home fully in cash there. Be able to retire or semi retire anytime after 45, 50 at most. Nature, family values, calm, no income tax. What’s not to love.
Plus space for hobbies, cars, boats, rv, atv, off roading, hiking.

There is more to life than chasing dollars. People just don’t know what quality of life is anymore.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:14 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Right. It’s up to the individual. But the blanket assumption that everyone who works from home is slacking off and eating bon bons all day, is outdated and wrong.
Confirmed.
Wife has been working from home since March.
She misses going to work because it’s less work. You get to chat to people, walk from department to depart ent. Go out for lunch. Waste more time basically.

Me? I love it. Less people the better. Plus Uber eats brings whatever I want to my doorstep.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:32 AM

More and more studies now that we have been working from home longer are showing productivity is getting worse.

Which is why chase / jpm is bring back in thousands.

https://financialpost.com/news/fp-st...ys-and-fridays

https://commercialobserver.com/2020/...ivity-decline/

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...re-productive/

Old 11-20-2020, 04:49 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I recently had dinner with a friend of mine who until recently worked for JP Morgan Chase. He said that as a company, Chase hates having people working from home, and is doing everything they can to get their employees back into the offices.

The mass move to remote working is an artifact of the Covid Pandemic. When it blows out, companies will review the impact of large scale remote work. With the pressure of the pandemic removed, I'd bet they'll want their workers on a shorter leash.
Chase is an anomaly. I know many corps actively recruiting many roles as permanent remote, some having recognized when they had issues getting talent before, they can weaponize wfh to obtain people that would previously not consider them.

The majority of NYC corps surveyed by Partnership NY indicated, before the new wave, the percentage expecting significant staff back by 7-2021 was a minority of NY corps. I have little doubt with this wave, 2021 in NY is largely written off in terms of re-occupying office space. Even Chase retreated quickly a few months back getting staff back, after they had an outbreak. I also do not think that Congress can agree on a bailout which would need to include full corp covid immunity. No immunity = no callback, due to corp lawyers telling execs it is not wise to the bottom line to risk one.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:51 AM

Google it ..there are now more and more studies showing the same lower productivity..you can argue all you want but i see it right with my own eyes as well as this is what data studies are now showing.

It took months to be able to tell and now it is showing lower productivity...

Old 11-20-2020, 05:12 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Google it ..there are now more and more studies showing the same lower productivity..you can argue all you want but i see it right with my own eyes as well as this is what data studies are now showing.

Your posts had some only studying Europe..LOL..not the USA.

Corps follow the herd, not Chase, the anomaly.

Partnership NY studied it in detail, as have other business orgs nationally. Its crushing mass transit as ridership is projected to be anemic for years to come. The MTA, US largest, is bracing for far under normal ridership until, at minimum, 2025.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership

Old 11-20-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Your posts had some only studying Europe..LOL..not the USA.

Corps follow the herd, not Chase, the anomaly.

Partnership NY studied it in detail, as have other business orgs nationally. Its crushing mass transit as ridership is projected to be anemic for years to come. The MTA, US largest, is bracing for far under normal ridership until, at minimum, 2025.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership
I can find articles all day that say otherwise. The NY Times is loaded with articles however most may have trouble accessing them ..they all show on a large scale the Stamford study years ago was wrong as far as productivity being higher from home

https://www.wired.com/insights/2013/...ess-efficient/

Old 11-20-2020, 05:42 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
My wife's company has hinted that they are staying home long term, which is awesome because we plan to move within the next year.

She went back, then was sent home again within two weeks and hasn't been to the office since.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-20-2020, 05:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

The supposed decreased productivity (now vs earlier in the pandemic) is probably due to pandemic fatigue. Keep in mind this isn’t a “normal” WFH situation. We’re not just working from home, we are essentially locked indoors and cannot socialize normally with friends and other loved ones. Also consider those with children have an added challenge. It’s not the WFH that’s the problem, it’s the pandemic.

Last edited by jad2k; 11-20-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City