Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 09:58 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
If the City Data NYC Forum was an actual part of NYC, it would easily win most conservative district.
True. I'm not quite sure how it turned into that. My neighborhood's FB group has turned as far left as this place has turned far right and I can't stand extremists of any variety. I guess it's an example of how divisive everything is in this time in our country (and city!)

And in an effort to stay on topic, here's a screenshot of the Bronx (Trump voters are in red)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
I think Hasidic communities generally trend very conservative in many different ways, so neighborhoods with large Hasidic communities would be a good bet.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM

910 posts, read 753,100 times
Interesting responses here. I would think Maspeth and Bayside definitely fit and I did not think of those areas, but it makes sense.

Henna, very interesting and useful map! Thank you.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 AM

1,034 posts, read 672,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Interesting responses here. I would think Maspeth and Bayside definitely fit and I did not think of those areas, but it makes sense.

Henna, very interesting and useful map! Thank you.
Bayside ? Hah, what made you think it’s a conservative area? Fun fact -in the 1920s, a lot of bayside residents left the town to go to Hollywood and became actors. My feeling is bayside is pretty middle of the road, sort of on par with forest hills. And these days middle of the road has shifted to the left.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
A lot of people are getting close to being banned AGAIN even though I never figured out for sure what their prior names were.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
True. I'm not quite sure how it turned into that. My neighborhood's FB group has turned as far left as this place has turned far right and I can't stand extremists of any variety. I guess it's an example of how divisive everything is in this time in our country (and city!)

And in an effort to stay on topic, here's a screenshot of the Bronx (Trump voters are in red)
Same here, my neighborhood group is filled with literal communists.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:02 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
When I think of a conservative neighborhood here, first thought that comes to mind is Borough Park, which gave us the late Noach Dear and Dov Hikind, both politicians way out of step with New York City's general center-left sensibility. As has been stated, that neighborhood is heavily Orthodox Jewish.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Country Club is a part of Throggs Neck - so I don't count it as a separate neighborhood. Some would argue it's actually part of Pelham Bay, but they are wrong and that destroys my entire geographical identity lol.

Just because TN is diversifying doesn't mean it's becoming less conservative. It's always been a little diverse. From my observations over the years, residents are accepting of non-white folks "they know", and will hang out with them, call them their boy, etc....then turn around say some of the most racist stuff you can imagine. So racist AND hypocritical lol.

Based on the number of people I grew up with that I have unfollowed/unfriended on Facebook lately......the modern day version of conservatism is alive and well in TN. Pelham Bay is essentially the same neighborhood, just on the other side of 95 and a touch more Italian with uglier housing stock.
Funny, I grew up that way and we always thought Country Club a sub-section of Pelham Bay, lol. My Puerto Rican brother and his Honduran immigrant partner bought a condo right across from the entrance to SUNY Maritime a couple of years ago, and they are not the only Latinos there. Still, I do understand those gated private communities nearby can be incredibly racist.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Same here, my neighborhood group is filled with literal communists.
OMG, it's getting crazy. I'm in Jackson Heights. Are you near me? You can send me a PM if you don't want to say here.

And re: gated communities in another post, that's funny -- just checked Seagate in Brooklyn, which I think is gated and it's red as well on the Trump map.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:24 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Funny, I grew up that way and we always thought Country Club a sub-section of Pelham Bay, lol. My Puerto Rican brother and his Honduran immigrant partner bought a condo right across from the entrance to SUNY Maritime a couple of years ago, and they are not the only Latinos there. Still, I do understand those gated private communities nearby can be incredibly racist.
Lol noooooo! It's the same zip code as TN - and on the same side of the highway as TN - there's nothing in the world that makes sense to include it in PB. I grew up on one of the entry blocks from TN, went to TN schools, hung out with TN people.....no way will I ever identify with PB lol.

The biggest issues you'll see are in Edgewater and Silver Beach....they're co-ops, and there's been a lot of (deserved) fuss about them discriminating against non-white buyers. Lawsuits and such. Locust Point, which isn't private or gated, but is isolated due to the streets, is similar but I don't think as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City