Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 09:56 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Land and labor all over NYC is too expensive to ever build apartments for the middle-class. Even in the Bronx. Here on S.I. new 2-family homes sell in the $1M range, and that's with the lowest land costs, so imagine what it costs to put up apartment buildings in the rest of the city.

The Bronx is the last frontier for apartment construction. Everywhere else in NYC either has much higher land acquisition costs or is not zoned for apartment buildings - -

https://newyorkyimby.com/?s=bronx&or...ate&order=desc
No argument from me...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 05:20 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
Those asking prices for the neighborhood are HOR.. TO THE R TO THE BLEEEEE.

I live in the neighborhood, and while it is exciting to see this stuff happen, it's just not worth the asking price. Slash the prices in half and we may have an argument. For $1,300 a month for a one bedroom, Hell, I'd move there in an instant. Brand new construction is nice, but not for $2600 starting for a one bedroom in an area that is barren.

I took an Uber to the office today and passed by L.I.C. If I had the money for $2600 a month, I'd much prefer L.I.C.

For ONCE... why couldn't they just create a "luxury" building like this for the lower middle income earners. There are TONS and I mean tons of stock for solid middle and upper income earners. Affordable housing covers lower income. Then you have lower middle left eating dust. Smh.

You know what up since you live there. Those people that will occupy that building will be taking ubers in and out and spending their money in LIC and Manhattan. They wont spend any money in the BX. Chances are those buildings will have washers and dryers in every unit so no local laundromats will benefit, the Western Beef a few blocks wont get additional foot traffic either.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:41 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
You know what up since you live there. Those people that will occupy that building will be taking ubers in and out and spending their money in LIC and Manhattan. They wont spend any money in the BX. Chances are those buildings will have washers and dryers in every unit so no local laundromats will benefit, the Western Beef a few blocks wont get additional foot traffic either.
Call me a gentrification ***** but (IMO) those of us living in 'luxury rentals' don't want to drag our clothing to a Laundromat.

#inunitWDflex

Old 07-14-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Call me a gentrification ***** but (IMO) those of us living in 'luxury rentals' don't want to drag our clothing to a Laundromat.

#inunitWDflex
I was living in NYCHA and didn't have to drag clothing to laundromats. Had a high capacity washer with a serious agitator and it spun the clothes so dry no dryer was needed, just a drying rack. Ive been in many "Luxury rentals" and its laughable that "luxury" means someone sitting in the lobby, bike storage, and shared space that is always over run by little kids.

My post was mainly pointing out putting luxury buildings in poor neighborhoods does not bring in any additional income to surrounding businesses.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:45 PM

383 posts, read 173,510 times
Quote:
I was living in NYCHA and didn't have to drag clothing to laundromats. Had a high capacity washer with a serious agitator and it spun the clothes so dry no dryer was needed, just a drying rack. Ive been in many "Luxury rentals" and its laughable that "luxury" means someone sitting in the lobby, bike storage, and shared space that is always over run by little kids.

My post was mainly pointing out putting luxury buildings in poor neighborhoods does not bring in any additional income to surrounding businesses.
These so-called luxury buildings have the cheapest materials and building processes. They call it luxury for being brand new, shiny, and having a gym in the building with actual windows. And sometimes a doorman.

Whenever I saw this “luxury” buildings craze in poor neighborhoods the past ten years I was always wondering what was so luxurious about them, I don’t see any gold or marble, and these walls are hollow you can punch through them. I know a bunch of buildings in Park Slope whose apartments had been sold for over a million started showing signs of decay, with huge cracks in the walls and threatened to collapse. What luxury’s is that !!

Old 07-15-2020, 09:23 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:

If enough upscale people move in the retail mix may improve over time. But the cheap dusty bodega, cheap diner, cheap Chinese takeout place, cheap taco place aren't going to see much business from the new more prosperous residents.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:28 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post

#inunitWDflex

I have a washer & dryer in my basement of my home. A few years ago the dryer gave out. So until my new washer & dryer arrived I was forced to deal with the riff-raff and use a local laundromat. I used the big laundromat on New Dorp Lane & Clawson Street. Very well-run place with a lady that watches the place like a hawk. But one visit to a laundromat was enough.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
I have a washer & dryer in my basement of my home. A few years ago the dryer gave out. So until my new washer & dryer arrived I was forced to deal with the riff-raff and use a local laundromat. I used the big laundromat on New Dorp Lane & Clawson Street. Very well-run place with a lady that watches the place like a hawk. But one visit to a laundromat was enough.
Too funny.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-15-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
These so-called luxury buildings have the cheapest materials and building processes. They call it luxury for being brand new, shiny, and having a gym in the building with actual windows. And sometimes a doorman.

Whenever I saw this “luxury” buildings craze in poor neighborhoods the past ten years I was always wondering what was so luxurious about them, I don’t see any gold or marble, and these walls are hollow you can punch through them. I know a bunch of buildings in Park Slope whose apartments had been sold for over a million started showing signs of decay, with huge cracks in the walls and threatened to collapse. What luxury’s is that !!
I love those buildings where you can hear someone sneeze from 3 apartments away through the walls LOL! 1 fire and it rips through the whole floor

Quote:
[/color]

If enough upscale people move in the retail mix may improve over time. But the cheap dusty bodega, cheap diner, cheap Chinese takeout place, cheap taco place aren't going to see much business from the new more prosperous residents.
those places dont benefit much until some famous person comes and promote them. Kind of like the popeyes chicken sandwich. The sandwich was regular till celebs started talking about it then all of a sudden lines down the block for fast food smh.

Quote:
You know i cant argue with the experience, I had a few especially when people take out other peoples clothes because they want to use the machine and cant wait for the person to remove their stuff. Or people who hog all the big dryers and even after hours after the machine stopped they are no where to be found to remove their clothes.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
[/color]

That's not true, the gentrifiers in places like Bushwick go to those places all the time. They need beer, cigarettes, and snacks from the bodegas while the taco places are great drunk food for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City