Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I am also curious who the tenants of these buildings would be. They're certainly priced too high for the hipster/starving artist class. The neighborhood and local schools would be a turn off for most affluent families. And the lack of neighborhood amenities seems as if it would deter younger professionals priced put of the city. So I don't quite know who would plan to live there, even if there eventually are reductions in the initial asking rents. So who is going to pay these high prices to live here?
People fooled by the real estate agents. You know the type that waits in line for 2 days for the next iphone. They type that wants to be cool and in on the next hip place to live. Only they don't know that for those prices you can already live in a cool, hip area in a good neighborhood with amenities and not so far away from what you need and want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 12:08 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Me too. I can't see anyone actually renting here but I could be wrong.

Either way I welcome gentrification to the Bronx.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:12 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
People fooled by the real estate agents. You know the type that waits in line for 2 days for the next iphone. They type that wants to be cool and in on the next hip place to live. Only they don't know that for those prices you can already live in a cool, hip area in a good neighborhood with amenities and not so far away from what you need and want to do.
Maybe some bad areas should just stay bad then?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-07-2020, 07:51 AM

383 posts, read 173,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I am also curious who the tenants of these buildings would be. They're certainly priced too high for the hipster/starving artist class. The neighborhood and local schools would be a turn off for most affluent families. And the lack of neighborhood amenities seems as if it would deter younger professionals priced put of the city. So I don't quite know who would plan to live there, even if there eventually are reductions in the initial asking rents. So who is going to pay these high prices to live here?
Your typical affluent family even in the case of Brooklyn, to this day doesn’t put their kids in public schools (when they do have kids, because half of the time it is childless couples more interested in veganism, and shopping at flea markets, or bitter Feminists who claim all good men are gay) because can you imagine having their kids with the rest of the peasants?

But again, when it comes to the who would live there, if not the exact same type that lives in Brooklyn, it would be the type that lives in hip and trendy parts of Harlem. Harlem has a lot of these condos and people never imagined Harlem to be this way once upon a time.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:51 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Oh I know. You walk by the Joinery and your like what are you doing here
At least the prices are cheaper than the new building but still to pay $2400 for a 1 bedroom there. No thank you.
The plus side though is the MTA has been doing construction on the 138th stop for the last year. So at least soon the train will stop both uptown and downtown there again. Although I'm gonna guess those who live there will be using uber.
The will most certainly use Uber once they find out the 4/5 train station at 138th is directly across from a drug rebab center where people hang around no one wants to be next to. Then the 6 train over at 138th means they have to walk next to the projects.

On the right side, maybe they will increase patrols in that area cutting crime and improving the neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe some bad areas should just stay bad then?
That bad area can improve be they need to wipe that areas slate clean. Get rid of all the yellow cab parking lots. Get rid of Sin City, Its been closed for years but it still carries the stigma for that area and them keeping the lights on at night does not help that areas image.

Under the Degeen overpass needs major cleaning up, better lighting, maybe plants and remove the fences.

Im all for bringing a 'downtown area" to the Bronx but wedging such an expensive building in that area where nothing can attract the residents to spend money means they will live there and just commute to Manhattan to do then shopping.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 AM

And by the way this may be the first brand new luxury glass condo, but I would say at least 7 years ago, on Alexander Avenue, by the third avenue bridge they opened the clock tower building, with apartments selling for slightly less than $1 million, and a very midtown type of restaurant, then followed a few coffee shops and bars and a bunch of other brand new buildings.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:00 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
This is good for the Bronx, but remember that all these apartment buildings were in the construction pipeline pre-Covid-19, pre-Bail Reform and pre-NYC-crime surge. The future of these developments is uncertain especially in the higher crime areas of the Bronx. If the rentals don't move expect the city to fill the buildings up with the homeless or Section-8 tenants.

198 robberies and 157 burglaries so far this year in the 40 precinct:

Mott Haven - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-040pct.pdf

A development like this is the safer and more stable east Bronx would rent out in days.

East Bronx Morris Park area 70 robberies and 78 burgalries so far this year:

Morris Park - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-049pct.pdf

Old 07-07-2020, 08:02 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX_Fly View Post
Your typical affluent family even in the case of Brooklyn, to this day doesn’t put their kids in public schools (when they do have kids, because half of the time it is childless couples more interested in veganism, and shopping at flea markets, or bitter Feminists who claim all good men are gay) because can you imagine having their kids with the rest of the peasants?

But again, when it comes to the who would live there, if not the exact same type that lives in Brooklyn, it would be the type that lives in hip and trendy parts of Harlem. Harlem has a lot of these condos and people never imagined Harlem to be this way once upon a time.
From the people around me, what I’m seeing is a lot more transplant parents in Brooklyn who are committed, in some ways, almost over the top committed, to sending their kids to public school.

I think the building was going for people who wanted new construction in their price range with a gym built in and close to Midtown for a commute. That’s going to be a harder sell with so much WFH, so I’d expect there would be in at least the short-term a need to offer some deals.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
This is good for the Bronx, but remember that all these apartment buildings were in the construction pipeline pre-Covid-19, pre-Bail Reform and pre-NYC-crime surge. The future of these developments is uncertain especially in the higher crime areas of the Bronx. If the rentals don't move expect the city to fill the buildings up with the homeless or Section-8 tenants.

198 robberies and 157 burglaries so far this year in the 40 precinct:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-us-040pct.pdf

A development like this is the safer and more stable east Bronx would rent out in days.
The target crowd doesn’t want to live in the East Bronx, too far from midtown, too far from the lower east side and Lower Manhattan, too far from Downtown Brooklyn, too far from anything that may look like them. Also I doubt the East Bronx will see any such development, even when they bring Metro North.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
From the people around me, what I’m seeing is a lot more transplant parents in Brooklyn who are committed, in some ways, almost over the top committed, to sending their kids to public school.

I think the building was going for people who wanted new construction in their price range with a gym built in and close to Midtown for a commute. That’s going to be a harder sell with so much WFH, so I’d expect there would be in at least the short-term a need to offer some deals.
Oh ok, times change, when I lived there it wasn’t the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City