Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 04:36 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Mr. R:: for more entertaining responses, please post on the Education board. That should be fun!
Response:
I could just imagine
Working with kids and showing them direction is one thing.
Being retired and having to steer for someone's drunken behavior is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am fine with that as soon as Colonels, Generals, Police, Dentists, Mayors, and Congresspeople get the same minimum wage.
Response: Good one!
Would love to see a Drill Sergeant at the cash register.......Just laughing thinking about it......

Old 08-13-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm retired, too. However, my wife is a "lifer" in NY, with a few relatives and a number of friends still here, so she wouldn't be an "easy sell" to move. While I've been here most of my life, I have no relatives here, and most of my friends left, over the years, as their children "bailed out" in the past, and my friends wanted to remain close to them, and the grandchildren.....
Response: I understand...

Let me offer a suggestion.
Consider a small bungalow......price and property taxes within your budget.
A place to run away for the weekends. It builds connection and possibly one day
she may just say..................the words you want to hear. "Let's Move".
Best Wishes.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:23 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I ran into similar. I inherited half a row home (1873 vintage) and sold in a down market for peanuts. Sister wanted cash for HSN and the junk jewelry cable channels. It was in the Lehigh Valley and total costs to run it for a year were less than what it cost for 3 months of our Jersey City rent.
I could have bought my sister out for half of the peanuts we got.

But my partner, later husband, would not hear of clearing out of NYC Metro (we lived atop the PATH station.) I could have forced him, but who wants an unhappy partner. So we sold and stayed in Jersey, later to move to Manhattan, he was in Seventh Heqaven. And then he died and I am stuck here alone. Of course, I doubt that being stuck alone in Allentown would have been any better.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I ran into similar. I inherited half a row home (1873 vintage) and sold in a down market for peanuts. Sister wanted cash for HSN and the junk jewelry cable channels. It was in the Lehigh Valley and total costs to run it for a year were less than what it cost for 3 months of our Jersey City rent.
I could have bought my sister out for half of the peanuts we got.

But my partner, later husband, would not hear of clearing out of NYC Metro (we lived atop the PATH station.) I could have forced him, but who wants an unhappy partner. So we sold and stayed in Jersey, later to move to Manhattan, he was in Seventh Heqaven. And then he died and I am stuck here alone. Of course, I doubt that being stuck alone in Allentown would have been any better.
Response:

Love never ceases. I still openly express how I love my pop although gone for many years
Take one day at a time. I am confident you will find your niche in due time. All the best.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:37 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Love never ceases
Nor does LOSS.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 16,973 times
Not every student's teacher sucks ( ; ... I was hosting 2 live hr sessions daily and answering both students and parents until 10:00 pm.... District 1 teacher who loves her childhood community. You also clearly have no idea how hard it was to transition curriculum and stay on webcam for HOURS making sure students were accessing material and adjusting to remote learning.... You are either ignorant and clearly have no friends in Public Education or individualizing your experience to every teacher.

By the way, many of my teacher friends worked just as hard. On top of the planning and live sessions, I guess you forgot we grade and collaborate with other staff members .

Old 08-23-2020, 02:39 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,549,963 times
Quote:
Nor does LOSS.
No, it doesn't but after a few years (you are not even close to being there yet), it does get easier to bear.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Nor does LOSS.
Response: Agreed...............Better to have loved and loss than to have never loved at all......

May you be blessed with continuous inner peace.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherNYC1994 View Post
Not every student's teacher sucks ( ; ... I was hosting 2 live hr sessions daily and answering both students and parents until 10:00 pm.... District 1 teacher who loves her childhood community. You also clearly have no idea how hard it was to transition curriculum and stay on webcam for HOURS making sure students were accessing material and adjusting to remote learning.... You are either ignorant and clearly have no friends in Public Education or individualizing your experience to every teacher.

By the way, many of my teacher friends worked just as hard. On top of the planning and live sessions, I guess you forgot we grade and collaborate with other staff members .

Response:
Former educator...............understand your position.

There was a similar argument made years ago.
Books or online reading..........Personal choice. Leave it to the individual
student to decide and individual teachers to decide as well. Work with what
you got rather than being told how to work or how to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: