Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 01:16 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
NYC has awful schools, some of the worse in the nation.
I thought we were comparing states - my bad.
What city in Florida is comparable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It also has some of the best. There’s a large economic divide in the city which is a real problem. Some of the private schools are literally some of the best in the world. Very expensive too.
None of the published graduation rates include any of these private schools which are all at 100%. And that’s a lot of students so the numbers are a bit off when you take the richest and smartest (scholarship)
kids out of the equation.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Horrible regular schools with a small system of elite schools that are way too competetive for the average teenager to be worrying about.

Old 09-06-2020, 02:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
This is the latest figures
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...rates-by-state

Another correction Carranza is the NYC schools chancellor, not NY state.

Here is a chart that describes graduation rate by cohort. Obviously, homeless and foster care have much lower graduation rates.
https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?year=2019&state=yes

Please try to be more accurate in your posts.
And try not to be misleading in yours. The chart you linked to confirms that Florida has a larger percentage of HS graduates than NY.

Additionally, the numbers don't take into account the fact that a large percentage of NYC HS graduates are deemed *not* college ready by the city's own criteria, which suggests that students in NYC are being pushed through the system and graduated whether they have earned it or not.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:16 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
That's utter bull-****. A person living in Texas and in New York with comparable taxable income are taxed in their 1040 at the same bracket regardless of jurisdiction. ..

<snip>.
LOL, I wasn't talking about Federal Income Tax at all, but I hope your little rant made you feel better.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:17 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No one is going into law enforcement from any law enforcement family anymore.

That said, I'm 41, retired for over a month, am sitting on the beach right now (as I have all summer), and you'll be paying me just shy of 6 figures for the rest of my life

My timing was impeccable.
Hey, I didn't know you retired. Congrats. Enjoy.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
And try not to be misleading in yours. The chart you linked to confirms that Florida has a larger percentage of HS graduates than NY.

Additionally, the numbers don't take into account the fact that a large percentage of NYC HS graduates are deemed *not* college ready by the city's own criteria, which suggests that students in NYC are being pushed through the system and graduated whether they have earned it or not.
What did I quote or say that was misleading. I try very hard to be accurate and will readily admit when I am wrong. Where is the falsehood?

Most of those are developmentally disabled and are allowed to attend “high school” or some special program until 21. Does Florida have that rule too? I am familiar with both the public and private school landscape in nyc. I know teachers in those alternative programs.

I am far from knowledgeable about Florida public schools, only anecdotally. My friends moved to winter park from ny because they felt it was one of the only decent public schools in Florida. They were not thrilled but found it acceptable. Same with a friend who moved to Boca. Is this not accurate?

Old 09-06-2020, 03:41 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Is 41 the youngest somebody in the PBA can retire?
I wasn't in the PBA.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-06-2020, 03:42 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, I didn't know you retired. Congrats. Enjoy.
About a month ago. No way I was hanging around waiting to get thrown in jail.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-06-2020, 04:24 PM

275 posts, read 214,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I wasn't talking about Federal Income Tax at all, but I hope your little rant made you feel better.
Not a rant...but sharing knowledge based on my expertise since that happens to be my line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City