Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 09:07 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sadly that is why people drop dead or have a cardiac incident shoveling snow. It is a lot of work especially when the stuff is heavy and wet. People go out there thinking it's nothing......

When I was about ten, Our next door neighbor died of a heart attack after shoveling his driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
After a certain age, people should pay kids to keep their sidewalks shovelled,. or better yet, building staff with machinery if they can afford it.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:02 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
After a certain age, people should pay kids to keep their sidewalks shovelled,. or better yet, building staff with machinery if they can afford it.
A friend of mine who jointly owns a house that is divided into 5 apartments (legally) gives one of tenants a break on the rent in lieu of the tenant handling garbage, recycling and shoveling for the property.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:51 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A friend of mine who jointly owns a house that is divided into 5 apartments (legally) gives one of tenants a break on the rent in lieu of the tenant handling garbage, recycling and shoveling for the property.
De facto super

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Nope. Nothing yesterday nor today although I do have mail coming according to informed delivery. Oh, well. Can't blame them. Went out just now and there are still a lot of sidewalks unplowed.
No mail again today. I called the post office and asked if they had resumed delivering mail and the man said yes. Then I asked him whether mail would be delivered today to my street and he checked and came back and said they were short on carriers and if not today, they would definitely deliver tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
No mail yesterday.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:19 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
No mail again today. I called the post office and asked if they had resumed delivering mail and the man said yes. Then I asked him whether mail would be delivered today to my street and he checked and came back and said they were short on carriers and if not today, they would definitely deliver tomorrow.
Ahh, thanks for the info. I'm in Queens at my mom's place. Wonder if my place in Manhattan has mail. Have to do a grocery run today so I'll see if the mail is in and if the sidewalks are any better. Yesterday walking around late afternoon, it was a horror. Saw a bunch of people having fun though building snowmen and having snowball fights. The snowmen look cute with masks on. lol. Glad to see others are merry.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:53 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
First part only works in areas where "kids" are willing or want to go out and shovel snow. Nowadays as with many other things kids today have better things to do, and or otherwise don't see the need.

Second bit isn't much use if you live in a private residence where *you* are the staff. Such are the joys of owning a home.

That being said in areas I know of (Staten Island, Long Island, Jersey), neighbors take care of neighbors. Someone will shovel out a senior's or elderly person's property and otherwise make sure they are ok. If your adult son or grandson comes to shovel out your place, he'll go over and do someone's who shouldn't be out.

Quite honestly everyone I know and knew when growing up have (or had) snowblowers including big a$$ed tractor types. They'd do their yard, driveway, sidewalk (if they have one in front of their property), then go and do someone else's. Mr. D (great old school Italian guy lived a few doors down from us) at >60 would use his snow blower to do his own property then zoom up and down block helping others.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,490 times
I saw this awesome video of a Washington Square Park snowball fight from the past couple of days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8AO...nel=CBSNewYork

Old 02-03-2021, 05:34 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

That being said in areas I know of (Staten Island, Long Island, Jersey), neighbors take care of neighbors. Someone will shovel out a senior's or elderly person's property and otherwise make sure they are ok. If your adult son or grandson comes to shovel out your place, he'll go over and do someone's who shouldn't be out.
I wish people in the Bronx helped their neighbors. Between businesses closed, abandon places, and lazy residents sidewalks don't get shoveled. I saw this guy shoveling yesterday his sidewalk. Did a quick path and that was it. Next to him was an abandon house. Less then 15 feet of sidewalk but dude didn't care to shovel it. I knew I'd be walking the same route today. I seriously debating asking him to use his shovel and shoveling it myself. Would've took 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City