Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 03:43 PM

1,399 posts, read 893,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Bushwick and Bed Stuy are having serious issues.

Neighborhoods which were in the process of gentrification will be hit the hardest as better neighborhoods become cheaper.
Saw a youtube video of a blm protest going through a gentrified neighborhood screaming "this used to be a white neighborhood" as white leftist transplants were outdoor dining. Hilarious! Wish I could find it again so I could share. It was definitely in Brooklyn and I wanna say it was bushwick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 05:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 447,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
All that "luxury" or whatever housing built in suspect areas are a Ponzi scheme. Besides tax breaks they heavily depend upon higher income people willing to live in sketchy or suspect areas and pay higher rents to subsidize affordable/low income. Pandemic has upended what was already a heavy sell for many buildings.

Those transplants everyone hated either are fleeing NYC all together, or are finding apartments they can afford in better areas. In many cases people who would have had to bunk in with two or more roommates are finding apartments they can afford on their own.

Even a small studio in a five story walk-up tenement somewhere on Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn beats a new building (amenity filled or not) way out in east Brooklyn or Queens.
It wasn't a ponzi scheme. It was supplying a demand. Post COVID that demand is no longer there for a few reasons.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:27 AM

1,034 posts, read 447,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Saw a youtube video of a blm protest going through a gentrified neighborhood screaming "this used to be a white neighborhood" as white leftist transplants were outdoor dining. Hilarious! Wish I could find it again so I could share. It was definitely in Brooklyn and I wanna say it was bushwick.
Safety is a real issue. I grew up in NYC so I know my place relative to the dynamics of the city. All these transplants who who had no clue are now realizing those dynamics.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 AM

325 posts, read 199,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
All that "luxury" or whatever housing built in suspect areas are a Ponzi scheme. Besides tax breaks they heavily depend upon higher income people willing to live in sketchy or suspect areas and pay higher rents to subsidize affordable/low income. Pandemic has upended what was already a heavy sell for many buildings.

Those transplants everyone hated either are fleeing NYC all together, or are finding apartments they can afford in better areas. In many cases people who would have had to bunk in with two or more roommates are finding apartments they can afford on their own.

Even a small studio in a five story walk-up tenement somewhere on Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn beats a new building (amenity filled or not) way out in east Brooklyn or Queens.
I agree with most but as for the bold part idk , those 5 story walk up tenements can be trash especially if it’s not very newly renovated. Older buildings seem to have more problems , I still would prefer to live in manhattan then eastern brooklyn but as for queens it would depend on the area . There’s brand new buildings in Jamaica and far rockaway but those areas are undesirable which same can be said for eastern Brooklyn but in other areas of queens can be pretty nice , probably will need a car though

Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times
I feel crime is being allowed to happen and is being heavily ran in the media to push people out. To get rid of the small business owners, bankrupt the small time landlords, make people sell their condo/coops, etc. Then mysterious buyers will buy everything back up and then a "tough" mayor and police commissioner will come along to "clean" up NYC.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:26 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
I think your tin foil hat is a little too tight. But only a little.

Crime is being allowed to happen because the Democratic Political Machine can't stand up to the criminal class and it's supporters, and just lock them up, as had happened in the past. So it leaves the criminals on the street, and they reek havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I feel crime is being allowed to happen and is being heavily ran in the media to push people out. To get rid of the small business owners, bankrupt the small time landlords, make people sell their condo/coops, etc. Then mysterious buyers will buy everything back up and then a "tough" mayor and police commissioner will come along to "clean" up NYC.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:29 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,492,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I think your tin foil hat is a little too tight. But only a little.

Crime is being allowed to happen because the Democratic Political Machine can't stand up to the criminal class and it's supporters, and just lock them up, as had happened in the past. So it leaves the criminals on the street, and they reek havoc.
The 70s and 80s proved that you can't imprison your way out of crime problems. The problem runs much deeper and really only gets solved from economic and social changes. Police do very little in preventing crime, but a more stable existence for everybody certainly does.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:15 PM

6,701 posts, read 3,002,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
economic and social changes.
I agree law enforcement can only do so much. It' s band-aid on a leaking damn.
But baring everyone suddenly become rich it will have to do, ..lol.

and Economic and social changes by Whom?

Old 03-01-2021, 01:01 PM

596 posts, read 253,636 times
need more jobs

Old 03-01-2021, 01:05 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
This is so utterly false. The 90's and 00's unequivocally proved you can. In the 70s and 80s they cops were go along to get along and didn't even try. Giuliani turned the NYPD loose, with improved strategies, and crime completely collapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The 70s and 80s proved that you can't imprison your way out of crime problems. The problem runs much deeper and really only gets solved from economic and social changes. Police do very little in preventing crime, but a more stable existence for everybody certainly does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City