Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 02:47 PM

19,081 posts, read 14,039,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Coworker at my job who retired recently said he sold his house in bay ridge to a 24 year old off the boat chinese kid who called americans lazy. The kid paid over asking, cash, waived inspection and paid every single fee and commission.
Yup, sounds about common lately.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 03:36 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Prices might correct themselves, but it would be a gamble, in my opinion.
I think we all agree that NYC is on a wrong path. It has picked itself up in the past, yes, but there is zero guarantee that it will do it again.

Another poster mentioned the magic associated with NYC. This magic is largely (if not totally) gone. Things were bad in the 70s and 80s, but back then the information available to people outside the metro area was much more limited. Especially for folks outside the US. Now, with the internet, everyone is aware of the situation. The riots, the graffitied store fronts, the violent crime: people hear about it, see pictures, etc.
That's not very enticing. Not to Americans who just want peace and quiet for their families. And not to foreigners with resources, whom the city needs much more than they need her.
Spot on post.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:02 PM

8,713 posts, read 11,115,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
NE Queens and SI are not served by subways which makes them more desirable to many homeowners. Subways bring skells and crime into neighborhoods.
Any areas that served the Port Wash LIRR line commands a certain premium. under 30 min LIRR express from Great Neck to Penn has premium priced in. Always been true even pre pandemic

Old 02-22-2021, 04:12 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,775,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Faucci is never my go to when I want expert opinion on anything covid .

My go to is zdogg and his panel of the brightest minds on the subject
Isn’t he a rapper?

Old 02-22-2021, 04:28 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizm View Post
Whats the point of these threads? Yes, we're in a global pandemic. Yes, the nation is ramping up vaccinations by the day. Things will come back in due time. Life goes on.
I believe Covid has greatly affected people's mental health. They are mostly looking to vent and/or seeking assurance.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 448,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Prices might correct themselves, but it would be a gamble, in my opinion.
I think we all agree that NYC is on a wrong path. It has picked itself up in the past, yes, but there is zero guarantee that it will do it again.

Another poster mentioned the magic associated with NYC. This magic is largely (if not totally) gone. Things were bad in the 70s and 80s, but back then the information available to people outside the metro area was much more limited. Especially for folks outside the US. Now, with the internet, everyone is aware of the situation. The riots, the graffitied store fronts, the violent crime: people hear about it, see pictures, etc.
That's not very enticing. Not to Americans who just want peace and quiet for their families. And not to foreigners with resources, whom the city needs much more than they need her.
I agree with everything you said but the only thing is that NYC doesn't have competition in the US. That's why this city has been run into the ground by ******* politicians and has always bounced back.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizm View Post
Whats the point of these threads? Yes, we're in a global pandemic. Yes, the nation is ramping up vaccinations by the day. Things will come back in due time. Life goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I believe Covid has greatly affected people's mental health. They are mostly looking to vent and/or seeking assurance.
COVID is a once in a lifetime event that has initiated secular trends that will last decades.

It's not about venting or seeking assurance. It's about seeing where the world ), and in this case, NYC is heading in the next 5, 10, or 20 years.

The only people who wouldn't care are those who are retired, near death, or live off of the government (not like they can do anything anyway).

Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Location? Post link of an example.
We've mainly been looking at condos. New builds in BK and LIC and existing in Manhattan. Were not interested in all of the neighborhoods below but it's good to know the market and see what's out there so we've looked at apartments everywhere.

Gowanus
Bed Stuy
Downtown Brooklyn
Prospect Park South
Williamsburg
LIC
Murray Hill
UWS
Lennox Hill
Financial District
..and a bunch of others.

Prices are down from pre-Covid highs. Take any price on Street East take 10% off easy, and start negotiating from there. Some properties have much more room in there depending on the desperation of the developer /seller.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,625,357 times
Somehow... I'd rather live in Jersey City right now. Might be 10% cheaper, but it feels overpriced for what it is at the moment.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:59 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
COVID is a once in a lifetime event that has initiated secular trends that will last decades.

It's not about venting or seeking assurance. It's about seeing where the world ), and in this case, NYC is heading in the next 5, 10, or 20 years.

The only people who wouldn't care are those who are retired, near death, or live off of the government (not like they can do anything anyway).
If you have the crystal ball then by all means tell us our futures

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City