Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 12:32 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
City Data website doesn't let me cut and paste. Just search by "parkchester", and two news reports of the incident come up top. If you search "metropolitan and wood av shooting", an additional news report shows up. I found out about it from the police blog that I get in e-mail, and then I phoned the Parkchester neighbor who checks on my unit.
No offense, but it's not that City-Data is not letting you cut and paste, it's that you don't know how. If you're using a smartphone, you can simply copy and paste the link to the post. Google the type of smartphone you have, and Google the instructions on how to copy and paste a web page address.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 02:01 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,438,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No offense, but it's not that City-Data is not letting you cut and paste, it's that you don't know how. If you're using a smartphone, you can simply copy and paste the link to the post. Google the type of smartphone you have, and Google the instructions on how to copy and paste a web page address.

I am using a smartphone, and I obviously do know how to cut and paste :-). The cut/paste procedure generally works, but I think the issue is my antivirus firewall, and the fact that this is not a particularly secure website. I can cut a link, but when I try to paste it here, nothing happens. It is not a problem, I do not have any burning need to paste anything here, and I usually tell people how to find the info that I am talking about.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:02 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am using a smartphone, and I obviously do know how to cut and paste :-). The cut/paste procedure generally works, but I think the issue is my antivirus firewall, and the fact that this is not a particularly secure website. I can cut a link, but when I try to paste it here, nothing happens. It is not a problem, I do not have any burning need to paste anything here, and I usually tell people how to find the info that I am talking about.
You don't need a firewall on a smartphone TBH, but whatever makes you sleep better

Either way, its not City-Data prevent you from pasting links

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2021, 10:14 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXR3r083O8

100 Most Dangerous Cities – 2021

based on the number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents.

1. Detroit, MI
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.5
Your chance of being a victim: 1 in 51
2. St. Louis, MO
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.2
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 51
3. Memphis, TN
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.0
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 52
4. Baltimore, MD
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 19.0
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 53
5. Monroe, LA
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 17.9
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 55
6. Danville, IL
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 17.5
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 56
7. Wilmington, DE
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.8
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 62
8. Alexandria, LA
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.8
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 63
9. Camden, NJ
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 15.7
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 63
10. Scranton, PA

36. Newburgh, NY
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 11.5
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 86
58. Buffalo, NY
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 10.0
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 99
78. Niagara Falls, NY
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000 residents): 9.2
Chance of being a victim: 1 in 108

At the link a list of 100, St Louis is # 2

>> New York City not on list !!

There are different sources with different ways of determining this but I don't see New York City ranking but St. Louis often makes the list. Also if you look at some articles, especially CBS they will have a 2021 articles on most dangerous cites but you often see at the bottom "first published in 2018".
New York doesn't rank high for shootings but what is high is the the pace of it is going up fast and we are not even in summer yet.

There are lots of murders in St. Louis, some articles say it has the highest per capita murders.
Anyway this young Nurse from St. Louis came to NY for a new job. She was here for two days. She was with her parents walking on 34th St. and 9th ave and got a random punch in the head from somebody.
So now she is worried about being on the subways and decided to not take the job and go home.
It sounds perfectly understandable after this happens after just 2 days of being here.
However I'm a little surprised that she's from St. Louis which is a lot more violent than NYC. But I'm guessing she has always lived in an less violent part of it or maybe its burbs.
If you look at the video with her mask on I wonder if the person who attacked her thought she was Chinese. She looks like possibly she could be mistaken with her mask on (but not without see video) but
there are also random attack sometimes on people other than Asians.

Last edited by Yac; 05-12-2021 at 12:07 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 03:40 PM

19,081 posts, read 14,039,547 times
Big shooting in Times Square. A little kid shot. Normal, I know, but after moving to the suburbs my sensibilities are weak. Imagine only a month ago I was a hardcore Ny'er who would just pass these shootings like, "what, me afraid? Who cares."

:sarcasm:

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-08-2021, 04:35 PM

101 posts, read 61,576 times
Midtown Manhattan has become one of the more dangerous areas in the city now. Tourism/working people is not existent, so therefore less police presence, leading to a significant rise in crime.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:18 PM

19,081 posts, read 14,039,547 times
We should definitely get rid of the police like the leftists want. The resulting carnage would be epic and amazingly efficient in destroying leftist chances of taking over our country.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-08-2021, 05:19 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
Midtown Manhattan has become one of the more dangerous areas in the city now.
do you have any statistics that show that?

Old 05-08-2021, 05:33 PM

101 posts, read 61,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We should definitely get rid of the police like the leftists want. The resulting carnage would be epic and amazingly efficient in destroying leftist chances of taking over our country.
Reality is that’s not going to happen. It’s not a coincidence that the two candidates consistently leading in the polls either want to expand policing force in some capacity (Adams) or at least show no desire or intention to defund (Yang). Any of the other candidates that speak of removing one billion dollars from the budget are either second tier candidates and/or people who don’t have a realistic chance to win with a progressive base.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:08 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,249,228 times
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/08/us/ne...red/index.html

Shooting in Times Square
3 wounded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City