Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 04:02 PM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
People drowned in their homes. I’ve never heard of such a thing in NYC.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...6qi-story.html

So far, 36 people dead in and around NYC - mostly in Queens and New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 04:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:

It happens. Likely more so today when you have eff tons of illegal basement housing that isn't well maintained.

Many homes with basements or cellars are prone to water getting in due to their being built near long covered creeks, ponds, streams, etc.... Such home have sump pumps designed to remove water before it floods a basement or whatever. This is obviously more of an issue if property sits in a flood zone or is low level, former wetlands, etc....

That being said when you have a water main or sewer pipe bust, heavy rain, etc... Then all bets are off. Water can (and often will) rise very quickly flooding not just basements but first/ground floor as well.

We saw this with Super Storm Sandy. Lots of people died on Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn by basically being drowned in their own homes.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:14 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post

Gosh, why can't people just stay home right now? People are nuts!
I literally had to leave my flooded basement Airbnb so I had no choice. But that's why I traveled right when they lifted the roadway ban so I could beat the traffic.

Came to say in a nice high up floor in a hotel in Manhattan!

Old 09-02-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
NY1 was giving out dire warnings since Tuesday. So much so that I changed my plans. NY1 is pretty good about weather alerts & up to date information. They don't hype things up or tone things down. I listen to their meteorologists.
This is why I'm hesitant about switching from Spectrum to FIOS, because of NY1 in situations like this. I was getting constant news alerts on my phone because I have YouTube TV so I can't watch it on TV, but I can still access it via logging into my Spectrum account.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:25 PM

3,477 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
This is why I'm hesitant about switching from Spectrum to FIOS, because of NY1 in situations like this. I was getting constant news alerts on my phone because I have YouTube TV so I can't watch it on TV, but I can still access it via logging into my Spectrum account.
Spectrum is horrible. My parents have it and their internet is always very slow and has constant outages.

Old 09-02-2021, 05:38 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
GD stuff was real!

https://gothamist.com/news/least-8-d...lms-nyc-region

Old 09-02-2021, 05:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
Quote:

Maybe instead of the emergency alert that said TAKE COVER NOW, it should have said Take cover now unless you live in a basement with no additional means of egress. In that case, flee the basement, you'd be safer on the street.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Spectrum is horrible. My parents have it and their internet is always very slow and has constant outages.
Yes it is and that's why I want to switch. I'm just grasping onto NY1 as my last ditch effort to convince myself I don't have to. But I know I need to. LOL

Old 09-02-2021, 07:57 PM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times
Quote:
Ugh, my Airbnb in Glendale flooded last night, so I had to pack my stuff up in almost knee high water and then sit in a staircase until the travel ban was lifted at 5am and I could get to a hotel.

It could have been worse, I could have been stuck on one of those subways waiting for a rescue.

Climate change is no joke.

Now midtown this morning looked like absolutely nothing happened as we drove through. Crazy.
I use to live in Glendale. It's crazy how central Queens of all places got hit hard. Usually when major hurricanes hit NYC the areas effected the most are the coastal neighborhoods.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 PM

3,477 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Yes it is and that's why I want to switch. I'm just grasping onto NY1 as my last ditch effort to convince myself I don't have to. But I know I need to. LOL
I have RCN because I live in a co-op building and those are my only options- either Spectrum or RCN (no Fios option in my building). But given the fact RCN was offering me free installation during the time I moved into my apartment, I decided to give it a try. Their internet is really fast and I only had one outage in the entire six years I've had it. But one caveat about RCN, they are scammers with my bill. They love to increase my rates all the time and I have to keep calling and harassing them to get my rates down again. For these past six years, they've always budged and lowered my rate, but I feel it's only matter of time where they may eventually put their foot down and when that day comes, I may be forced to switch to Spectrum if they do refuse to keep my rates down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City