Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 09:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,384,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It happens. Likely more so today when you have eff tons of illegal basement housing that isn't well maintained.

Many homes with basements or cellars are prone to water getting in due to their being built near long covered creeks, ponds, streams, etc.... Such home have sump pumps designed to remove water before it floods a basement or whatever. This is obviously more of an issue if property sits in a flood zone or is low level, former wetlands, etc....

That being said when you have a water main or sewer pipe bust, heavy rain, etc... Then all bets are off. Water can (and often will) rise very quickly flooding not just basements but first/ground floor as well.

We saw this with Super Storm Sandy. Lots of people died on Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn by basically being drowned in their own homes.
Yep, the sump pumps didn't even help. My neighbor told us he has a pump and he still flooded. If there's that much water and no where for it to go, you're OOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Gosh, why can't people just stay home right now? People are nuts!

Here was my experience:

I was at work and it wasn't until later in the night that we started to get severe storm warnings. By then, it was already raining. Then the warnings were extended later and later.

My coworker and I were the only ones left in our department. We work the late shift. We ran to the train station. The water was coming in from everywhere. I thought to myself, since I need to take three different trains to get home, please, please do not flood out.

I just made it home in time---without warning, seemingly, the subway was shutdown. I have no idea what I would have done, as my employer had NO plans in place for this weather. I walked from the train station to my house, where I saw my neighbor a few houses down trying to remove belongings from his garage that was 1-2 feet under water.

My basement and garage were flooded but not too horribly compared to other people---not even compared to the attached house four houses down---just a few inches. After a previous incident, I purchased water sensors for my basement. They went off immediately. My husband went down there, started tossing water, throwing down towels, and using the shop vac, though there weren't really many places to put the water. I was lucky that the drains didn't stay completely full forever---a block up from me the manhole was shooting water back out---so I didn't know if we would be flooded out again. I couldn't really sleep, as I worried about water coming up through the toilets and tubs like other people.

I helped my husband clean-up as much as possible. It helps that we: (a) don't hoard, so we don't have tons of crap in the garage or basement and (b) my basement has a step (so one half is higher than the other) and everything on that lower part is either "elevated" or on legs, mostly by my own design.

I was exhausted but I still went into work the next day. As an essential worker, I woke up the next morning and ever-so-slowly made my way into work, only to find HALF of the department called out, even people who didn't have to do so. They sent an e-mail out AFTER the fact that people would be reimbursed for travel-related expenditures---how useless. Everyone was so behind the ball.

As I walk around my neighborhood and see people still removing water from their houses and dumping all of their possessions from their basement, I am thankful, as it could have been much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 09:33 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,359,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Breaking. Mayor swept away into the subway tunnel along with the rats. Last seen hugging a third tail.
One could dream...

Old 09-03-2021, 11:22 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,776,830 times
Yeah, maybe NY1 was on the ball, but nobody much else was. I didn't realize how bad it was until the flash flood/tornado alert came through.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:19 PM

1,046 posts, read 473,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
Regarding the illegal apartments:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/02/n...ds-deaths.html

From the article:

And yet, Mr. de Blasio called for legalizing basement units by helping homeowners with regulations and costs for conversion. Eric Adams, the Democratic nominee for mayor who is favored to win in November, also has expressed support for legalizing those units.
Given that he lied about living in the basement of his home, I'm gonna need him to take a pass on opining on this.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 749,243 times
Doesn't anyone here watch the Weather Channel or follow AccuWeather? The latter was referring to Ida's northward sweep into the Mid Atlantic as Nor-Ida for days.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times
https://qns.com/2021/09/catastrophic...hurricane-ida/

Small businesses in Queens deal with new hurdles following extensive damage from Hurricane Ida

Small business owners in Queens either spent Wednesday night, Sept. 1, navigating rapidly flooding basements or woke up Thursday morning, Sept. 2, to calls of devastating damage to their shops, as remnants of Hurricane Ida brought unprecedented and deadly rainfall to New York City.

The storm — which brought a record-setting 7.13 inches of rain in the city on Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service — left at least 10 people dead in Queens, 9 of whom were stranded in basements, according to authorities. While streets and subways flooded, businesses and their owners also suffered the brunt of the damage.

Lois Christie, owner of Christie & Co. Salon in Bay Terrace, said she woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Thursday to calls from the cleaning crew, alerting her that her marble-floored salon was flooded and covered in mud.

Christie said that while there were loose cars floating along the large Bay Terrace Shopping Center’s parking lot, she was disheartened by what she said was a lack of communication and assistance from her landlord.

“We’ve never had a flood, not this kind, in years,” Christie said. “I haven’t seen one police officer or anybody else come. It’s disgraceful. I haven’t heard from our landlord … they didn’t notify tenants. I am more than frustrated and aggravated. I don’t excite easily, but the more I think about it, the more I think people could have gotten hurt here.”

Old 09-03-2021, 09:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,805,245 times
Hope they find him.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/delive...m-viral-video/

Investigative-minded Brooklynites are searching for a delivery worker captured in a viral video wading through waist-deep flood water while delivering grub in Williamsburg during Wednesday night’s torrential downpour — hoping to give the hard-working hero a hefty $1,700 tip.

Johnny Miller shared the harrowing video on his Twitter account @UnequalScenes after he saw the delivery man’s extraordinary effort to push his e-bike through the water at Roebling and N. 11th streets just after 10 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City