Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 08:03 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you suggesting that people should adapt to accept higher crime? Have they not in fact adapted by staying away? That's what I did.

Why should people accept this new reality when there are other, safer, far better options? That's adapting as well.
So I'll be clear, I'm not suggesting that people should adapt to accept higher crime, or anything else that they don't agree with

My thing is I see more complaints instead of people changing their situations, that's not healthy from a mental perspective

We are the most adaptive species, meaning that we are able to change our circumstances to an exent higher than any other species on the planet

So why complain when something can be done?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 08:15 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,985,530 times
We're in agreement then, I'm with you.

My solution was to leave because there's very little the individual can do to affect change in a monstrous city which seems to be politically aligned to encourage that which I felt was no longer acceptable for me and mine.

Those who remain, whose only response is to complain, that I am with you on. Ultimately the individual is the only person who can better their own life. No outside force is going to do it. No single mayor, city council, police commissioner, etc are going to solve the city's problems in a way that fixes the individual's problems.

If you want change, you have to create it yourself. That's why I moved.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-26-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
We're in agreement then, I'm with you.

My solution was to leave because there's very little the individual can do to affect change in a monstrous city which seems to be politically aligned to encourage that which I felt was no longer acceptable for me and mine.

Those who remain, whose only response is to complain, that I am with you on. Ultimately the individual is the only person who can better their own life. No outside force is going to do it. No single mayor, city council, police commissioner, etc are going to solve the city's problems in a way that fixes the individual's problems.

If you want change, you have to create it yourself. That's why I moved.
Lol, I don't get it. Nobody's being forced to stay here. If you don't like it, formulate an exit plan. Or try to fix the problem here. Bunch of incessant whining. This used to be a relocation forum; now we're therapists.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:07 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,985,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol, I don't get it. Nobody's being forced to stay here. If you don't like it, formulate an exit plan. Or try to fix the problem here. Bunch of incessant whining. This used to be a relocation forum; now we're therapists.
A lot of people fear change. It's definitely tough, I get it now. Figuring out new systems and routines, figuring out shopping, traffic, learning the area, etc. that's all tough. But if you feel strongly enough about something, you just have to do it. That's life. I can't imagine just sitting around complaining. Have a plan.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-26-2021, 09:54 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,308,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Some mother****er just murdered at least five people in Waukesha, Illinois at a holiday parade. There are bad people and mentally ill people (in this case, seems like the latter) all over, not just the kinds of people you're burning up to persecute.

RIP. I won't say I've never slept on the subway, but not past midnight!
Its time to bring the Hangman back. Hang em high!

Old 11-26-2021, 02:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,754,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Please, come to Manhattan they said Restaurants need you.
How is the 600 11th Ave area in Manhattan in 2021? When we visited NYC in November of 2019, I remember how nice that area was when we went to Gotham Market

Old 11-27-2021, 06:08 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,044,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
More complaints from non-NYC residents
You don't need to live in NYC to be concerned about crime.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
You don't need to live in NYC to be concerned about crime.
How does NYC crime affect you, if you don't live here? Please tell the audience.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Please, come to Manhattan they said Restaurants need you.
Tzaziki with a side of Marinara sauce leaking out your side....

Old 11-27-2021, 10:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
Quote:
Not sure, but I'll tell you this. It is the type of news that will affect tourists' decisions, and those of commuting workers fighting against coming back to Manhattan. Two huge economic engines for the city. There's a reason the governor of the state has been begging workers to return.

Eric Adams knows this, which is why he beat the bubble heads he faced in the primary (the real NYC mayoral election).

Perception matters.
I'm waiting for a big wig executive to get shanked and then maybe things will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City