Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 07:49 PM

206 posts, read 117,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Such a simple answer, and still no answer. Why does a person care about a petition to get rid of the Manhattan DA if they don't live in Manhattan (or NYC for that matter)? Whether any of us like it or not, Manhattanites voted Bragg in. It's how democracy works.
Because they work there... And they don't want to get stabbed or held up at gun or knifepoint... The latter of which apparently has been reduced to petty misdemeanor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 07:50 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
While they may be impacted, they still have no say.
An opinion yes.
To demand a removal of a fairly elected DA oversteps the bounds of someone who does not live or vote there.
A worker or a visitor does not get to demand who serves within city government.
To think that they have "every right" is just not correct.
Sorry, but if you think that the business community has no say, you're sadly mistaken. The real estate industry is very powerful here in NYC, and this Bragg guy stands to destroy a lot in Manhattan and take the City back to the bad ol' days. There is too much on the line for us to backwards.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:50 PM

870 posts, read 419,129 times
Welcome to San Francisco 2.0
The limousine progressives may (or may not) finally understand they shot themselves in the foot just to not have a "guilty conscience" or be taken for "fascists".

Wasn't there like two car-jackings (including one at knife-point) in Manhattan in less than 12 hours???
Lucky for the guys, they haven't killed anyone, they will be let go !!

Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 PM

621 posts, read 242,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Because they work there... And they don't want to get stabbed or held up at gun or knifepoint... The latter of which apparently has been reduced to petty misdemeanor...

So the D.A. is going to prevent people from stabbing or shooting you? You have any hard numbers on out-of-town commuters getting attacked? Not seeing the logic here but I'm open to seeing the data if you wish to share. I live in Queens. My wife commutes to the city daily via NYC bus and train and she hasn't been stabbed or held up at gun point. Nor does she worry about those things happening. And if you're so concerned, why not just stay in Jersey?

Old 01-13-2022, 08:28 PM

19,081 posts, read 14,039,547 times
Quote:
Such a simple answer, and still no answer. Why does a person care about a petition to get rid of the Manhattan DA if they don't live in Manhattan (or NYC for that matter)? Whether any of us like it or not, Manhattanites voted Bragg in. It's how democracy works.
You're not going to accept any answer that makes sense so I'm not going to waste my time. You know the answer, you just don't care.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-13-2022, 08:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 455,527 times
Quote:
So the D.A. is going to prevent people from stabbing or shooting you? You have any hard numbers on out-of-town commuters getting attacked? Not seeing the logic here but I'm open to seeing the data if you wish to share. I live in Queens. My wife commutes to the city daily via NYC bus and train and she hasn't been stabbed or held up at gun point. Nor does she worry about those things happening. And if you're so concerned, why not just stay in Jersey?
Your response is so detached from reality it almost feels pointless trying to answer it, but I will anyway

1) The DA has the power to prosecute a case. If a repeat criminal is released because the DA refuses to charge him, that criminal will likely go on to commit more crimes. so yes, the DA CAN prevent it. In fact, that's the job of the DA! Crazy, isn't it??

2) You want hard numbers? Just take a look at how many people commute into Manhattan daily. Do you mean to tell me the criminals have a special 6th sense and will only attack people who they know for sure live in Manhattan? What does me being a resident of Queens have to do with my odds of being a crime victim whilst in the borough of Manhattan?

3) Your wife is an anecdote. Thankfully she hasn't, but it would be quite awful if she was the victim of a violent crime at the hands of a repeat offender who Alvin Bragg chose not to prosecute

4) The DA has only been in office for 2 weeks. You're talking as if he's been there for years and all is fine.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:17 PM

621 posts, read 242,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're not going to accept any answer that makes sense so I'm not going to waste my time. You know the answer, you just don't care.

I'd accept an answer if you give one and it makes sense. I didn't join this forum just to bully people with my POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Your response is so detached from reality it almost feels pointless trying to answer it, but I will anyway

1) The DA has the power to prosecute a case. If a repeat criminal is released because the DA refuses to charge him, that criminal will likely go on to commit more crimes. so yes, the DA CAN prevent it. In fact, that's the job of the DA! Crazy, isn't it??

There has to be cases for the DA to prosecute. You don't understand root cause. As I asked before, does a DA PREVENT people from committing crimes? The answer is no. The DA is a reactionary role. Crime must be committed first. You also do not understand the relationship between bail and the Manhattan DA's office. Bragg doesn't control bail reform...that's the state legislature. So your argument about criminals being released is not a Bragg problem. Next...

2) You want hard numbers? Just take a look at how many people commute into Manhattan daily. Do you mean to tell me the criminals have a special 6th sense and will only attack people who they know for sure live in Manhattan? What does me being a resident of Queens have to do with my odds of being a crime victim whilst in the borough of Manhattan?

Read my query again - I asked why does a non-NYC resident care about a Manhattan DA? You say look at how many people commute into Manhattan daily. While not the hard numbers that I asked for, the per capita crime rate is lower than most major cities. So the probability falling victim to a crime is very low. So why so scared?

3) Your wife is an anecdote. Thankfully she hasn't, but it would be quite awful if she was the victim of a violent crime at the hands of a repeat offender who Alvin Bragg chose not to prosecute
I agree.

4) The DA has only been in office for 2 weeks. You're talking as if he's been there for years and all is fine.

Seems like the opposite is true. I'm not panicking at all about Bragg. I'm not signing petitions or anything.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:41 AM

No, you won't. As evidenced above.

I'm convinced you're an alternate account for someone else who I won't name, but I wait for proof before I act.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-14-2022, 06:07 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,273,386 times
Quote:
I'd accept an answer if you give one and it makes sense. I didn't join this forum just to bully people with my POV.

Seems like the opposite is true. I'm not panicking at all about Bragg. I'm not signing petitions or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No, you won't. As evidenced above.

I'm convinced you're an alternate account for someone else who I won't name, but I wait for proof before I act.
People like Brownpine want to see whitey and those with "means" (aka anyone who doesn't live paycheck to paycheck) suffer. That's always what it's been about with these type of DAs. They know what their policies will bring. They're not dumb. They want whitey (aka whites, Asians, and upper middle Hispanics) to experience the same ****ty QOL that the "oppressed" have.

Adams alluded to the same when he mentioned once that there are people on the city council passing laws just because they want to see things burn.

It's a means of revenge for perceived unfairness. The white wokies who vote for these policies do ao because they think they're insulated since they are of means and live in some of the best neighborhoods. However, once these policies start affecting them, they're the first ones to yell and scream.

Last edited by Esacni; 01-14-2022 at 06:16 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 06:09 AM

I believe you're correct, at least in the case of many people in the city's government. And even then, they know we'll just move out, which they can then label as some racist "white flight", earning them a double whammy of street cred.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City