Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Good point however I don’t think the sentiment here is necessarily sorry for Rite Aid but rather the cause of these stores closing.
Yeah. It's a shame that the city has come to this. And seeing those smash and grab videos. It's just so wrong on so many levels. And grating to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Good point however I don’t think the sentiment here is necessarily sorry for Rite Aid but rather the cause of these stores closing.
That's easy. Classic textbook case of overexpansion based on cheap crack from the Federal Reserve.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:37 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Rite Aid, Duane Reade, CVS, the lot of them are all being hit with same big stick that's clobbering other retail; online sales.

There isn't a GD thing you can get at Rite Aid(aside from prescription drugs) that Amazon doesn't have, more so since they bought Whole Foods. If not Amazon or Walmart there are scores of other online and apps that likely will have what you want, and often for less money.

Those new online/rapid delivery "bodega" type stores are going to kill what market was left for Rite Aid and others IMHO. Not entirely, but just one less reason for people to get off their lazy butts and walk to a store.

Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc... all morphed into huge quasi supermarket/health and beauty/hardware stores with pharmacies. They grew and expanded putting local small places out of business, now it's their turn.

Do feel bad that some people will lose their jobs, but only just.

Majority of times Rite Aid employees (including managers) stand there and don't do jack s**t while people walk in, load up, and walk right back out without paying. Some just laugh their a$$es off including manager. I'm not saying they should physically confront thieves, but standing there when same GD people come into store daily (sometimes several times each day) to steal is just stupid.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Rite Aid, Duane Reade, CVS, the lot of them are all being hit with same big stick that's clobbering other retail; online sales.

There isn't a GD thing you can get at Rite Aid(aside from prescription drugs) that Amazon doesn't have, more so since they bought Whole Foods. If not Amazon or Walmart there are scores of other online and apps that likely will have what you want, and often for less money.

Those new online/rapid delivery "bodega" type stores are going to kill what market was left for Rite Aid and others IMHO. Not entirely, but just one less reason for people to get off their lazy butts and walk to a store.

Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc... all morphed into huge quasi supermarket/health and beauty/hardware stores with pharmacies. They grew and expanded putting local small places out of business, now it's their turn.

Do feel bad that some people will lose their jobs, but only just.

Majority of times Rite Aid employees (including managers) stand there and don't do jack s**t while people walk in, load up, and walk right back out without paying. Some just laugh their a$$es off including manager. I'm not saying they should physically confront thieves, but standing there when same GD people come into store daily (sometimes several times each day) to steal is just stupid.
Agreed. Online shopping also killed bookstore chains. The pharmacy stores now are where Borders and Barnes & Noble were 10 years ago.

or if you want to be very bearish, where blockbuster was 15 years ago.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:54 PM

You also have to know your prices and how/where to shop.

We've stopped getting milk at local RA when they kept raising prices. Morton Williams has same organic milk for bit more than one dollar less.

RA often does have good sales, I'll give them that, but good part of time now much of what is in circular isn't on shelves.

That weekly sales circular often has gone from four pages down to one, printed on both sides. That tells you something is up...

Old 01-24-2022, 05:09 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,756 times
There's a 24 hour CVS on Queens Blvd in Forest Hills, I've noticed that they lock up quite lot of shelves, including a fridge with ice cream near the store entrance. I asked a worker why do they lock ice cream, and he said because people steal it.
I didn't think things got this bad in this neighborhood.

Add to this a lot of missing products, there's a general sense of disarray.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
I think there used to be a NYSC here years ago. Maybe now 7-8 years ago it closed down. It was open 24/7. There used to be a good deal off foot traffic in that area and this Rite Aid was booming. What a shame. This city is failing fast with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:16 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many of these stores have self-checkout registers, so the employees don't even check customers out anymore...that is, the ones who actually pay.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:44 PM

Rite Aid at Second ave and 80th closing on February 15th....

Store is nearly empty with most shelves totally barren.

This place got hit up nearly every GD hour by thieves, shoplifters running out of there with stuff by bags or arms full. Cases of beer, diapers, sacks full of ice cream... Few times eejits just picked up those blue shipping crates and just walked right out front door, no one said "boo".

Old 01-24-2022, 07:52 PM

593 posts, read 470,724 times
One beneficiary of the political climate will be online retailers, i.e. Amazon. They don't care about shoplifting, and they might even prefer it. Hence their political stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: