Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:00 PM

32,171 posts, read 27,410,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
One beneficiary of the political climate will be online retailers, i.e. Amazon. They don't care about shoplifting, and they might even prefer it. Hence their political stance.
Package theft is just as bad as shoplifting in NYC. If you don't get your stuff Amazon often has to send another or issue a credit. More so when their delivery persons leave things sitting outside building, on porch, in outer lobby of non doorman buildings, etc... This or they just deliver stuff to wrong address...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 08:14 PM

593 posts, read 474,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Package theft is just as bad as shoplifting in NYC. If you don't get your stuff Amazon often has to send another or issue a credit. More so when their delivery persons leave things sitting outside building, on porch, in outer lobby of non doorman buildings, etc... This or they just deliver stuff to wrong address...
Package theft is a problem, but many buildings have taken steps to reduce it. There is also a much lower concentration of merchandise sitting out in any random building, so it doesn't attract the same level of thievery that a retail store does.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:53 PM

1,102 posts, read 579,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
There's a 24 hour CVS on Queens Blvd in Forest Hills, I've noticed that they lock up quite lot of shelves, including a fridge with ice cream near the store entrance. I asked a worker why do they lock ice cream, and he said because people steal it.
I didn't think things got this bad in this neighborhood.

Add to this a lot of missing products, there's a general sense of disarray.
Stolen ice cream is a big thing. It seems weird, considering it has to stay frozen in order to hold its value but:

from 2016

"The police have asked the public for assistance in identifying four suspects in a string of ice cream thefts since at least November. They have stolen approximately 1,249 cartons or bars of ice cream and gelato in 11 thefts, the police said. All the thefts took place in chain stores like Duane Reade, CVS and Rite Aid.

“They come at night, like two or three of them, with bags,” Gabriel Rosario said, stocking shelves last week at a Duane Reade near Washington Square Park. “They fill them up and run out of the store.”

They generally favor Ben & Jerry’s, Talenti, Häagen-Dazs. On one day in January, thieves made off with 256 pints of ice cream — including 100 pints of Häagen-Dazs and 100 more of Talenti — in three separate heists.

“Summertime, they do it all the time,” said a worker in the cosmetics section of a Duane Reade in the Kips Bay neighborhood.

“Two guys came in with duffel bags,” Jason Valentin, an employee at a Duane Reade five blocks away, said of a recent encounter. “I saw them and they saw me. They dumped the ice cream on the floor and ran out.” There was only one thing he could do. “Pick it up,” Mr. Valentin said. “Put it back.”

Deputy Chief Joseph V. Dowling, with the Police Department’s grand larceny division, said detectives were investigating businesses that may be acting as fences for the ice cream, paying about 25 cents on the dollar.

“They go and resell it to local mom-and-pop stores, bodegas, delis, things like that,” he said. “They transport it in freezer bags with dry ice or those frozen packs. You’re traveling to sell it.”

Thefts got so bad in recent weeks at the New York City grocery chain Gristedes that its owner, John A. Catsimatidis, announced a $5,000 reward for information leading to the apprehension of thieves who had targeted his stores. And on Aug. 21, the police arrested a man and a woman on charges of stealing ice cream from a Gristedes."

Old 01-25-2022, 01:23 AM

Clear beneficiaries will be remaining CVS, Duane Reade, and Walgreens stores. One or more are always within a few blocks of each other and or a RA store, so they likely will see some uptick in business. There's a DR right across from RA on Second and 79th, so that is one problem solved.

That DR gets jacked on an hourly basis as well, so look for more of that action as thieves move on from closed RA across street.

Local supermarkets in areas may see some increased action where Rite Aid stores have closed.

Thing about Amazon unless you're on Prime, or whatever next day delivery isn't always offered. If you're running low on TP do you really want to wait a few days for maybe an Amazon delivery?

Old 01-25-2022, 05:30 AM

16,286 posts, read 7,025,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
White supremists ruin everything.
Hopefully Adams can get these MAGA dudes under control

I would love to know where they get their makeup.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:36 AM

1,102 posts, read 579,180 times
Quote:
Clear beneficiaries will be remaining CVS, Duane Reade, and Walgreens stores. One or more are always within a few blocks of each other and or a RA store, so they likely will see some uptick in business. There's a DR right across from RA on Second and 79th, so that is one problem solved.

That DR gets jacked on an hourly basis as well, so look for more of that action as thieves move on from closed RA across street.

Local supermarkets in areas may see some increased action where Rite Aid stores have closed.

Thing about Amazon unless you're on Prime, or whatever next day delivery isn't always offered. If you're running low on TP do you really want to wait a few days for maybe an Amazon delivery?
Running low on TP can usually be anticipated. For me it's more the stuff that I don't know I need til the last minute, like I cut my finger and need a bandaid and neosporin, or get a cold and need cold meds. So I still do need access to a store that has OTC stuff.

I have a target not too far from me and that's where I go instead of paying the insane prices at the drug stores, but the small Targets don't always have much inventory in the drug store area cause they're trying to do too many other things.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:51 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,183,233 times
Quote:

Until the remaining CVS, Duane Reade, and Walgreens stores also get tired of being robbed by gangs of ghetto youths.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:53 PM

2,716 posts, read 1,308,600 times
The old NYC paradigm is becoming obsolete. These types of stores are integral to that model and are being shut down rapidly due to the antiquity of that way of thinking and living.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:24 PM

Hahahaha!

Michael Rapaport filmed eejits jacking Rite Aid on Second and 80th (NYP article says "First" which is incorrect), in broad daylight.

As have often said guy filled two bags with stuff and walked right out front door, no one said "boo" or did a GD thing.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/25/michae...-nyc-rite-aid/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jgogtQAnQ

Old 01-26-2022, 07:10 AM

12,797 posts, read 8,410,791 times
Quote:
Hahahaha!

Michael Rapaport filmed eejits jacking Rite Aid on Second and 80th (NYP article says "First" which is incorrect), in broad daylight.

As have often said guy filled two bags with stuff and walked right out front door, no one said "boo" or did a GD thing.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/25/michae...-nyc-rite-aid/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6jgogtQAnQ
Boo!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: