Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2022, 08:30 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
Yes, even if it's rude, no one should have any qualms about slamming the door into the face of a stranger trying to get in after them.

This is New York, and no one can afford to be too nice. That is how criminals try to disarm people, playing into people's niceness. Street smarts matter. It's been the old school New York way.

This is crazy. I saw a notice on an apartment building recently, a new building that went up. They actually had to tell tenants not to buzz open the front door for people they don't know. From what I could tell by reading between the lines, there was some type of problem, ie. package thefts, or who knows, something even worse, like muggings or assaults.
Yeah. At my mom's place they have double doors. An outer door leading to the intercoms and then another door leading into the lobby. After 9 pm, mgmt locks the outer door so if you're a guest or don't have a key with you, you have to call someone inside to physically open the door for you. Because people will randomly press and someone will buzz them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 08:38 AM

6,635 posts, read 2,956,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's a judgment call. I've kept doors open for delivery people (so many delivery people delivering a whole bunch of stuff)
I am guilty too. But always during daylight hours. If they have a fed ex uniform or something it helps. I know it's not fool proof but yeah,...I don't wanna be a jerk either too. ;p

What I don't do is answer any random buzz. We all know people just hit every button waiting for someone 'expecting' a package or delivery to hit it. If you just wait a bit, you will notice they never buzz again. Sus!

Quote:
Course some would judge and say a lady shouldn't be out and about until 4 am alone. The latest I came home alone was 2-3 am. But that was when I was younger. Now, I'm tucked in by 10 and will only hang out late if I'm part of a group & we're all headed home together.
I mean, it's nyc,..people have shifts all hours of the day and night so I learned to stop making assumptions too. There have been plenty of times where I get stuck working late and get home in the dead hours of the early morning. And yeah,..it's spooky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The overnight guy 2 weeks ago had a crazy man at 3am trying to get in the side door, and kicking the door when it didnt open.
My last building had 24hr doormen/women and it was so nice. I can't imagine the kinds of weirdos they see lurking around, pacing back and forth in front of the glass doors. Asking to use the bathroom or something.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:48 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I mean, it's nyc,..people have shifts all hours of the day and night so I learned to stop making assumptions too. There have been plenty of times where I get stuck working late and get home in the dead hours of the early morning. And yeah,..it's spooky.
Good point. People work late, have late night shifts. Yeah. Can't assume she was coming home from partying although if she was that isn't an excuse to get attacked.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:00 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 164,690 times
Quote:
Good point. People work late, have late night shifts. Yeah. Can't assume she was coming home from partying although if she was that isn't an excuse to get attacked.
Somebody posted earlier in the thread a story about a similar recent situation in the Bronx.

The woman had a night shift job cleaning offices. She was going home, it was late at night or early in the morning. She passed a group of guys then felt like she was being followed. She hurried home and went into the building. The front door was broken, so he got inside. He ran up to her apartment door. Thankfully, she got inside just in time to slam the door shut.

Yet, the creature had the nerve to knock on her door and ring the bell to her apartment before leaving.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:10 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 164,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I am guilty too. But always during daylight hours. If they have a fed ex uniform or something it helps. I know it's not fool proof but yeah,...I don't wanna be a jerk either too. ;p

What I don't do is answer any random buzz. We all know people just hit every button waiting for someone 'expecting' a package or delivery to hit it. If you just wait a bit, you will notice they never buzz again. Sus!

My last building had 24hr doormen/women and it was so nice. I can't imagine the kinds of weirdos they see lurking around, pacing back and forth in front of the glass doors. Asking to use the bathroom or something.
You mentioned: What I don't do is answer any random buzz. We all know people just hit every button waiting for someone 'expecting' a package or delivery to hit it. If you just wait a bit, you will notice they never buzz again. Sus!

Or if they say they are looking for someone you don't know. And if they are looking for someone you know, only if the person you know asked you to buzz them in.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Somebody posted earlier in the thread a story about a similar recent situation in the Bronx.

The woman had a night shift job cleaning offices. She was going home, it was late at night or early in the morning. She passed a group of guys then felt like she was being followed. She hurried home and went into the building. The front door was broken, so he got inside. He ran up to her apartment door. Thankfully, she got inside just in time to slam the door shut.

Yet, the creature had the nerve to knock on her door and ring the bell to her apartment before leaving.

This is probably it. And it's is like out of a movie nightmare.

VIDEO: Woman followed, narrowly escapes break-in attempt in Bronx

Old 02-15-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Or if they say they are looking for someone you don't know. And if they are looking for someone you know, only if the person you know asked you to buzz them in.
exactly. It don't take but a few minutes to Text your friend to ask.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:38 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoppressedracist View Post
I never once mentioned Asian men and Black women. I'm referring to the likes of the suspect.

When I do mention it, "White on White crime" statistics are expressed which I'm not debating, however I have a higher chance of being a victim to an attack where the suspect and I have similarities - and that strikes a nerve.

The true individuals within the Black community that should address these issues often don't and the ones that do, rather than take accountability the blame is shifted elsewhere.

However, I do know of several small advocacy groups and community programs that have but receive no support within their communities - if I recall members were attacked during a gun-violence meet.

Personally, I've been condemned and ridiculed for trying to speak out against it because "I was raised in a two parent home and never had to struggle (privileged)".

It makes no sense.

Thank you for your input, and you are exactly right about everything. Re small advocacy groups and community programs, they should band together into some form of coalition that would give them a stronger voice. I am a white older woman who immigrated from Southeastern Europe almost 40 years ago, was very poor in my initial years here, so lived in poor areas (where I still have one small place, in the Bronx, where I spend time on/off), was appalled by the mental state of the poor (including of any color) - not really by the state of poverty, because that state is very well handled in the US, and the poor have much easier life than essentially anywhere else (certainly much easier than where I came from :-), but the state of their minds, the widespread propensity towards dependence, and in a significant subset propensity towards crime... instead of making the best use of all the support offered by school and social services, to become comfortably self-sufficient and enjoy all the good things in life that aren't in fact expensive, and can be done on a very low budget (reading books, playing sports, pursuing artistic or functional expression like playing an instrument or doing carpentry, enjoying walks in the amazing world city - all of that costs zero or not much, and makes life pleasant. Why not pursue that (in addition to, of course, pursuing occupational or professional training) rather than crime?).

Anyway, I'm so glad there are people like you around, and I hope they may make a difference despite the nightmarish opposition they face. Best of success to you, and best of luck to us all in this city!

Btw, do you or anyone know whether Adams has made any new statement regarding his plans for doing something about all this newly increasing crime?

Old 02-15-2022, 09:42 AM

162 posts, read 70,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Crime statistics show exactly who you should avoid in order to remain safe, yet many people live like moths flitting around a burning flame.

Get away from the predators! As a multitude of recent stories prove, they will kill you!

I taught in an inner-city school for more than 30 years and I know what I am talking about.

I spent the first half of my career thinking I was going to help misguided ghetto teenagers towards successful lives, then spent the rest of those years with the realization that most did not want to change. They reveled in the thug life! Welfare, single motherhood, gangs, violence, et al.

One of my retirement goals was to move where predators don't live. I came to Maui and have enjoyed the safety it provides for the past 8 years.

Now, they are now starting to show up here.
It's not that simple to avoid predators.

Of course statistics would show where higher concentrations of murders happen within certain demographics and the wise would avoid to not be killed.

However, what about other predators? Rapists, child molestors and pedophiles? They often aren't a part of the above demographics.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:53 AM

206 posts, read 116,502 times
The best option besides awareness, self defense skills etc is to not put yourself in the bad situation in the first place.

For me that means avoiding these Soros funded and elected woke district attorney cities (work permitting) until things change.

There are much better places to live and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City