Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:14 PM

621 posts, read 240,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
AOC was the coup de grace for the loss of 50K Amazon headquarter jobs that NYC was going to get. Thanks in part to her, the city lost 50K high paying jobs, billions in tax revenue and economic activity.

And still, the fools voted her back in because she “speaks her mind.”
Who told you that Amazon was going to provide 50k jobs? Amazon? Jeff can make you into an astronaut too!!!

And wasn’t there a um 3 year pandemic that shut down the labor market? Seems like NY saved a lot of money to me. And with that, I’m glad you’re not representing the 14th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 04:13 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Who told you that Amazon was going to provide 50k jobs? Amazon? Jeff can make you into an astronaut too!!!

And wasn’t there a um 3 year pandemic that shut down the labor market? Seems like NY saved a lot of money to me. And with that, I’m glad you’re not representing the 14th.
Were you hiding under a rock a few years ago with the whole Amazon headquarters controversy where AOC opened her big mouth and put the final nail in the deal to put a second headquarter in LIC?

And what does the pandemic have to do with it? A company headquarter would still be operating just like any other through the pandemic, generating tax revenue for the city. And how did NYC saved money? For every job that NYC doesn’t get, it loses revenue.

And with how the city’s economy is currently in terrible shape, it could have used all those jobs right about now. Of course you would defend the loser AOC who has done nothing good for her district.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:15 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,911 times
Don't worry. They'll be "building back better" after NYC has been turned to glass. And there are plenty of 3rd worlders to replace the vaporized and radiated.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:34 AM

307 posts, read 636,899 times
Quote:

You're right, Amazon struggled mightily because of the pandemic. Good thing NYC didnt bring that albatross on board...

I thought this couldnt be possible, but the decision to block Amazon actually looks even worse in hindsight.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Were you hiding under a rock a few years ago with the whole Amazon headquarters controversy where AOC opened her big mouth and put the final nail in the deal to put a second headquarter in LIC?
There was ZERO benefit for PAYING Amazon to be in LIC. Amazon is investing billions in AI - you don't need 50k people when you have machines doing all of the work. What was most egregious was that NYC was willing to pay Amazon to be here while you have homeless people strewn out all over the city.

And what does the pandemic have to do with it? A company headquarter would still be operating just like any other through the pandemic, generating tax revenue for the city. And how did NYC saved money? For every job that NYC doesn’t get, it loses revenue.
Wrong. The pandemic caused people to leave the city in droves. Have you ever heard of a place called Florida? And with remote work here to stay, there's no reason to be in NYC. AOC made the right call on this one. You talk about earning revenue...but you're not talking about the billions that NYC was going to pay Amazon (including a friggin helicopter pad for King Jeff). Where was all this money for the small businesses who lost their livelihoods during COVID?

And with how the city’s economy is currently in terrible shape, it could have used all those jobs right about now. Of course you would defend the loser AOC who has done nothing good for her district.

The world economy is in terrible shape due to COVID. You're the one apparently living under a rock. Step away from the chat board and step outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
You're right, Amazon struggled mightily because of the pandemic. Good thing NYC didnt bring that albatross on board...

I thought this couldnt be possible, but the decision to block Amazon actually looks even worse in hindsight.

Looks worse how? It's incredible the number of naive people out here. Bezos says he's bringing 50k jobs and everyone falls over themselves. AWS is the money maker and it doesn't need 50k people to run it.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:02 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
Quote:
There was ZERO benefit for PAYING Amazon to be in LIC. Amazon is investing billions in AI - you don't need 50k people when you have machines doing all of the work. What was most egregious was that NYC was willing to pay Amazon to be here while you have homeless people strewn out all over the city.
You have no idea what you are talking about. First, NYC does not pay any company, including Amazon, anything to be in LIC. NYC Industrial Development Agency (IDA) and NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC) as a practice, uses PILOTs to attract companies and jobs to the city. This is a normal practice and any company can apply, not only Amazon.

Amazon’s HQ employees average $150K salaries. You do the math on how much yearly tax revenue the city lost out. This is not even counting in the economic multiplier effect, where they spend their money on local restaurants, shops, services, taxi rides, security, etc.

Second, NYC spends billions every year on the homeless so it’s not like money is not being spent on the homeless. The homeless on the streets is due to the individuals choosing not to accept housing/help.

You love to argue but clearly are so ignorant of lots of things. A complete waste of my and your time.

Quote:
Wrong. The pandemic caused people to leave the city in droves. Have you ever heard of a place called Florida? And with remote work here to stay, there's no reason to be in NYC. AOC made the right call on this one. You talk about earning revenue...but you're not talking about the billions that NYC was going to pay Amazon (including a friggin helicopter pad for King Jeff). Where was all this money for the small businesses who lost their livelihoods during COVID?
This is just so ridiculous. Do you know how important corporate headquarters are? The pandemic is temporary. NYC survives because of its businesses. Without all those corporate offices in Manhattan, NYC would go bankrupt in an instant. You, me and 20+ million people are here precisely because of the jobs and businesses are here. No one is here for the great weather or beautiful natural scenery.

Quote:
The world economy is in terrible shape due to COVID. You're the one apparently living under a rock. Step away from the chat board and step outside.Looks worse how? It's incredible the number of naive people out here. Bezos says he's bringing 50k jobs and everyone falls over themselves. AWS is the money maker and it doesn't need 50k people to run it.
Wow at the total ignorance. These are headquarter jobs, not warehouse or delivery jobs. AI can replace many of the blue collar low level work but it cannot replace the brain and decision making head of the organization.

Oh and the 50K jobs were part of the deal. Bezos wasn’t just saying, it was contractual.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:41 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,507 times
Quote:

Wasn't there some requests from Amazon to the city, something along the line of $3B in incentives / tax breaks? Amazon promised at that time 25K jobs, probably not all high earners by the way.

It's unfortunate but I hope they find a solution to develop the intended area, and that's the best they can do as of now.

Btw, Amazon leases at the Hudson Yards for 1,500 jobs and bought a Midtown building for $1B, etc... so I suppose they keep investing in NYC, even without a $3B tax break.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:46 AM

307 posts, read 636,899 times
Quote:
Looks worse how? It's incredible the number of naive people out here. Bezos says he's bringing 50k jobs and everyone falls over themselves. AWS is the money maker and it doesn't need 50k people to run it.
Let me get this straight so I understand your point - you believe that Amazon was planning to build and open a brand new HQ in LIC, but that they had no intention of bringing any jobs. Essentially the HQ was going to sit empty, while Amazon milked NYC for money and tax advantages. And that one of the largest tech companies in the world, choosing NYC to open a HQ, would have had no benefit to NYC as a tech hub, thus luring more tech companies and more jobs... So LIC and NYC are better off now without Amazon (which has multiplied in size and created even more jobs since the pandemic)

Is this what AOC was selling?

Old 03-06-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. First, NYC does not pay any company, including Amazon, anything to be in LIC. NYC Industrial Development Agency (IDA) and NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC) as a practice, uses PILOTs to attract companies and jobs to the city. This is a normal practice and any company can apply, not only Amazon.

No idea what I'm talking about, huh? NYC was only in the running because of the incentives (money) that it was giving to Amazon who was on a national roadshow collecting incentives. Stop typing and start reading before you continue embarrassing yourself.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...w-headquarters

Amazon’s HQ employees average $150K salaries. You do the math on how much yearly tax revenue the city lost out. This is not even counting in the economic multiplier effect, where they spend their money on local restaurants, shops, services, taxi rides, security, etc.

Now that Amazon is building their HQ2 in Virginia, why don't you find out how that's going for the Virginians and get back to us.

Second, NYC spends billions every year on the homeless so it’s not like money is not being spent on the homeless. The homeless on the streets is due to the individuals choosing not to accept housing/help.

Dept of Homeless has a $2B budget, which is being cut this fiscal year, btw. Obviously, the money is not being spend effectively. Homeless shelters are a well-known disaster. That's why people don't go there and would rather sleep in the cold.

You love to argue but clearly are so ignorant of lots of things. A complete waste of my and your time.

This is just so ridiculous. Do you know how important corporate headquarters are? The pandemic is temporary. NYC survives because of its businesses. Without all those corporate offices in Manhattan, NYC would go bankrupt in an instant. You, me and 20+ million people are here precisely because of the jobs and businesses are here. No one is here for the great weather or beautiful natural scenery.
I'm here for the great weather and natural scenery. 70 degrees in Central Park. Can't beat NYC on a Sunday afternoon.

Wow at the total ignorance. These are headquarter jobs, not warehouse or delivery jobs. AI can replace many of the blue collar low level work but it cannot replace the brain and decision making head of the organization.
You have no clue what AI and how it impacts the job market at all levels. Plus, Amazon like many tech companies, hire a lot of H1B workers who'll work that $150k job for 1/2 the price. There are no guarantees that many native New Yorkers will be hired.

Oh and the 50K jobs were part of the deal. Bezos wasn’t just saying, it was contractual.
Bezos can't guarantee 50k jobs. As someone else said, Amazon already has properties disbursed throughout Manhattan. So these same people you speak of can still work for Amazon and still make good money. And here's the best part - there's no paying Amazon to be here. AOC made the right call - being in NYC speaks for itself.

Quote:
Let me get this straight so I understand your point - you believe that Amazon was planning to build and open a brand new HQ in LIC, but that they had no intention of bringing any jobs. Essentially the HQ was going to sit empty, while Amazon milked NYC for money and tax advantages. And that one of the largest tech companies in the world, choosing NYC to open a HQ, would have had no benefit to NYC as a tech hub, thus luring more tech companies and more jobs... So LIC and NYC are better off now without Amazon (which has multiplied in size and created even more jobs since the pandemic)

No, you don't understand my point which I was quite clear about. Amazon cannot guarantee that 50k workers will be hired no more than you or I can't guarantee that another COVID variant will impact the city. Bezos made lofty projections in order to obtain all sorts of financial incentives. AOC's position was clear and smart - why pay a company to locate in NYC? If Amazon wants to be here, rent space like everyone else...WHICH THEY'RE DOING! How does Amazon lure more tech companies? They're already here. Google, Microsoft, Facebook...they're all here with or without Amazon. So if Goldman Sachs decides to relocate their HQ to Miami, should we pay them to stay put?

Old 03-06-2022, 01:46 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:

Correct, this is exactly what the morons who vote for people like AOC believe.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City