Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 09:11 PM

3,956 posts, read 5,100,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I took an example, tried to locate maintenance costs for the Whitestone Bridge, couldnt find anything yet

When I find something I’ll let you know
MTA B&T (formerly TBTA)

2019 Operating Budget: $528.1 million
2019 Support to Mass Transit: $1.139 billion

This means 2019 income is 1.6 billion.

With 9 Bridges & Tunnels- the most basic guess is 58.6 million in cost per product.
Includes maintenance, payroll, debt servicing.

So Whitestone may cost 58.6 mil per year.
Brings in roughly triple that.

When Moses gave the TBTA to the NYCTA- the tolls more than covered the bankrupt system(s).
Next the MTA came for the Taxi and license monies.
Next they cut product offerings and services.
Next they came for the 12 county payroll tax.
Next they cut 24/7 service on many lines late night and weekend with consolidations.
Next they came for all cars below 96th street.

The MTA is cancer.
This is a list of losers I wouldn't hire to run an ice cream shop-

https://new.mta.info/transparency/le...ive-leadership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 04:46 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,282,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I took an example, tried to locate maintenance costs for the Whitestone Bridge, couldnt find anything yet

When I find something I’ll let you know
Took me 2 minutes. I'm sure there's more with some more research from non MTA sources.

https://new.mta.info/transparency/fi...get-statements

Old 07-26-2022, 06:14 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,132,937 times
Stop running 24/7 (last ride at 1am)
Lay off high exec management
Cut back on perks for high execs
Control OT
Investing in automating the train signals

Old 07-26-2022, 09:24 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,368,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Control OT
So basically screw the people that need the subway overnight? Is that it? I'm sure those people are happy you don't run the MTA.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:45 AM

3,956 posts, read 5,100,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So basically screw the people that need the subway overnight? Is that it? I'm sure those people are happy you don't run the MTA.
Who should pay for it then?
Every one of the 12 million people who live downstate, whether they use the system or not?

They're getting screwed too.

This is what the agency can afford. This isn't unlimited budget fantasy world.
The MTA needs to get it's finance in line. It's almost as if they should be asking Canada and Spain and Japan for financial aid because 'NY is important and we are trade partners' so your residents should be helping with the MTA too because we are in financial straits.

It's been in finance straits since the 90s.
If funding keeps increasing but quality keeps decreasing, the problem needs evaluation significantly.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:13 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,368,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Who should pay for it then?
Every one of the 12 million people who live downstate, whether they use the system or not?

They're getting screwed too.

This is what the agency can afford. This isn't unlimited budget fantasy world.
The MTA needs to get it's finance in line. It's almost as if they should be asking Canada and Spain and Japan for financial aid because 'NY is important and we are trade partners' so your residents should be helping with the MTA too because we are in financial straits.

It's been in finance straits since the 90s.
If funding keeps increasing but quality keeps decreasing, the problem needs evaluation significantly.
I don't use them often either, but it's a public service that taxpayers pay for. There is plenty that they could do without cutting overnight service. They could get the crime under control to get more people to use it. That was in the news this morning. They also claim that many people don't pay. Get them to pay. Oh and stop spending $30 million dollars on a staircase. That could probably help.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:41 PM

10,124 posts, read 14,551,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Control OT
The bolded statement hurts the most people who need the subway the most: shift workers, lower paid hourly workers, overnight workers who keep a 24/7 city like NYC running.

The 24/7 running subway is key to keeping people moving to and from their jobs, schools, etc.

I agree with the exec management pay and the overtime points you made, though. Overtime is very bloated at the MTA, and it's really high :

https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...021-data-show/

Old 07-26-2022, 04:44 PM

3,361 posts, read 1,253,076 times
Quote:
I don't use them often either, but it's a public service that taxpayers pay for. There is plenty that they could do without cutting overnight service. They could get the crime under control to get more people to use it. That was in the news this morning. They also claim that many people don't pay. Get them to pay. Oh and stop spending $30 million dollars on a staircase. That could probably help.
30 million is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions spent on the 2nd avenue subway lines for people too lazy to walk over from Lexington while public transportation in the outer boroughs is mainly atrocious.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:14 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,255,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
30 million is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions spent on the 2nd avenue subway lines for people too lazy to walk over from Lexington while public transportation in the outer boroughs is mainly atrocious.
You don't know what the eff you're talking about.

SAS was scheduled to be built decades ago when both Second and Third avenue Els were torn down. For various reasons that never happened which placed a huge strain on #6 local.

Many mornings UES stations were so crowded (along with arriving trains), people couldn't get on. In fact #6 was consistently ranked one of if not the most crowded lines of entire system.

UWS has two subway lines; Broadway and 8th avenue. UES only had the one line along Lexington.

Don't know who you're calling lazy pal, but you try walking from York or East End avenues over to Lexington especially when weather isn't nice.

Then there was fact no subway access depressed RE values going east of Third and certainly Second. Proof of this is all GD new construction (and more is coming) along Second, First and even York avenues.

Huge parts of Yorkville remained frozen in time largely because no one wanted to live so far from nearest subway. That has changed and for better.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:17 PM

5,779 posts, read 2,678,182 times
Quote:
Yah that will never happen, NYC is still a 24 hour city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City