Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 02:15 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731;63867717[B
]If it was that cheaper, the MTA would already be doing it.[/b] What about people that are out late at night for whatever reason? This is just an example of your myopic view of things, likely because you don't stay out late at night so screw the people that do and need the subway.
Read the bolded. You can't be serious. If I'm myopic then you're just plain naive.

I want to bang supermodels every day of the week. Maybe the city should help me with that? You're making the case that there should be 24/7 service because people use it? That's not a valid argument. If the city put out boxes of cocaine on corners, it's all get used. How is that relevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 05:03 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Read the bolded. You can't be serious. If I'm myopic then you're just plain naive.

I want to bang supermodels every day of the week. Maybe the city should help me with that? You're making the case that there should be 24/7 service because people use it? That's not a valid argument. If the city put out boxes of cocaine on corners, it's all get used. How is that relevant?
They already tried it and said it was too expensive.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
This should help

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...a5f6ba02b08bdf

Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They were already providing an on-demand service for the disabled population. They ended it, saying it was too expensive. You think they are going to provide that for all of the subway riders overnight? LOL
It's not on demand. It's a bus the replaces subway service 3-4 hours a night.

... Have you not taken transit in other urban US cities?

Old 07-28-2022, 12:20 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's not on demand. It's a bus the replaces subway service 3-4 hours a night.

... Have you not taken transit in other urban US cities?
Escani said that they should have people take Uber/Lyft, hence my comment. I don't need or use public transit outside of NYC often. Very rare if I need to go to NJ for work, maybe I will take the Path if the ride is short, otherwise I go around by car. However, when I lived in Europe, I would travel at odd hours then come back to my flat from the Stazione Centrale in Florence and take the owl bus service, but Florence is nowhere near the size of NYC, and it does not have a subway either, nor is one really needed, as I often times just walked from my apartment by Palazzo Pitti to Downtown. 15-20 minute walk tops. The bus was used when I didn't feel like walking or it was there and I was lazy, but the buses actually ran on time. Nothing runs on time with the MTA. I was a college student then too, so any late nights hanging out at a bar, etc. did not necessitate any tedious travel. I could usually just walk home, take the bus or grab a taxi at a taxi stand, which was rarely needed. Here in NYC is another story.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:41 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
This is irrelevant. I understand there are people who use the subway from 12am-5am. The point is policy shouldn't be formulated based on edge cases.

How does every other major city in the world operate without 24/7 service? They have exactly the same services we do (if not better).

24/7 service is idiotic especially when the MTA burns money like it's going out of style
First of all those other cities you keep going on about never had 24/7 service. You cannot rely upon something you've never had.

Two, MTA has no place to layup scores of trains overnight. Even during pandemic shut down at night trains still ran along regular routes. In order to totally shut down system trains would either have to be stored in yards sometimes far away from their routes and or in tunnels. Either way it would take hours and untold wasted manpower to get trains back where they belong. To start trains running at say 530AM you'd need crews to report one or two (maybe more) hours ahead, then make their way to wherever train is stored. Never mind waiting while trains laid up on tracks or in tunnels are moved out of the way.

Three, unions won't for for it, and more importantly your hairbrained idea wouldn't save MTA anything really.

Crews work set hour schedules. How are you going to break apart overnight shifts that cover say closure of system at 1:30AM and opens again at 5:30AM. Crews would still be on clock until they've moved trains to wherever they are to be laid up, and then get back to office and clock out. Crews arriving in AM to open up system would also be paid from time they clock in, then go off in search of where their train is laid up.

Four, you ignore fact MTA gets quite a lot of work done in tunnels, tracks, stations and elsewhere overnight. That cannot happen when you have scores of trains laid up along ROW.

Laying up a train and or starting one up again isn't like parking and starting up your car. Federal and other laws/regulations mandate certain things must be done in each situation that take time.

Five, your arguments conveniently ignore fact that NYC subway system generates revenue during overnight hours. You stop service and then there is all that infrastructure (which costs money) just sitting there not generating a GD thing.

During pandemic overnight shut down MTA suffered decline in revenue not just from expenses incurred, but fact system was bringing in nil money for several hours per day. Your argument that system isn't much used after 12 midnight, is not only bull but flies in face of a simple fact; something is better than nothing.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:49 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Fill the Hole with sand.........................nuff said.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First of all those other cities you keep going on about never had 24/7 service. You cannot rely upon something you've never had.

Two, MTA has no place to layup scores of trains overnight. Even during pandemic shut down at night trains still ran along regular routes. In order to totally shut down system trains would either have to be stored in yards sometimes far away from their routes and or in tunnels. Either way it would take hours and untold wasted manpower to get trains back where they belong. To start trains running at say 530AM you'd need crews to report one or two (maybe more) hours ahead, then make their way to wherever train is stored. Never mind waiting while trains laid up on tracks or in tunnels are moved out of the way.

Three, unions won't for for it, and more importantly your hairbrained idea wouldn't save MTA anything really.

Crews work set hour schedules. How are you going to break apart overnight shifts that cover say closure of system at 1:30AM and opens again at 5:30AM. Crews would still be on clock until they've moved trains to wherever they are to be laid up, and then get back to office and clock out. Crews arriving in AM to open up system would also be paid from time they clock in, then go off in search of where their train is laid up.

Four, you ignore fact MTA gets quite a lot of work done in tunnels, tracks, stations and elsewhere overnight. That cannot happen when you have scores of trains laid up along ROW.

Laying up a train and or starting one up again isn't like parking and starting up your car. Federal and other laws/regulations mandate certain things must be done in each situation that take time.

Five, your arguments conveniently ignore fact that NYC subway system generates revenue during overnight hours. You stop service and then there is all that infrastructure (which costs money) just sitting there not generating a GD thing.

During pandemic overnight shut down MTA suffered decline in revenue not just from expenses incurred, but fact system was bringing in nil money for several hours per day. Your argument that system isn't much used after 12 midnight, is not only bull but flies in face of a simple fact; something is better than nothing.

Do you really think the "problems" you mentioned can't be solved if there was a will to solve them? Everything you mentioned isn't a legitimate reason that 24/7 service couldn't/shouldn't be stopped.

Your arguments are basically, "well, this is the status quo. It's always been done like this."

All of your argument are literally ridiculous. The MTA generates revenue overnight? What's your point? They generate X and lose 20X on overnight service.

Your arguments are so foolish I don't even want to respond to them. How will they schedule workers if the system isn't 24/7? Really? "The unions won't go for it". Well no ****. That's part of the issue we're discussing here.

The MTA won't have room to store trains? Are you really serious. This cesspool of corruption and low productivity burns through tens of billions ba year and your excuse for them is "they won't have room to store trains"? If we can send rockets to Mars. We can figure out where/how to store trains.

Lastly, the subway not being 24/7 with regard to service doesn't mean that maintenance and upgrades won't be facilitated. That is precisely when other major Metro systems clean, repair, and upgrade.

You sound like you work for the MTA. The MTA always makes some asinine excuses that sound like total BS. "We're special". "They system is so complicated". "It's NYC. It's just the way things are".

Old 07-28-2022, 02:47 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Based on what? MTA does NOTHING under a tight budget.
Very good point and that needs to change.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They already tried it and said it was too expensive.
Do you take everyone at their word or just the MTA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City