Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 06:13 PM

3,749 posts, read 3,483,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Technically your car must comply w/ the vehicle code in the state in which it is operating. Only real dick cops cite for things like that (tint is another example), unless its obvious that its being used to skirt tolls, cameras, etc. Its good PC though...
This.

Also most people don't realize There is a vast camera system in every major city in the US that just scans license plates and nothing else for "Terrorism" purposes. All states share this info. Its how we are tracked.

Gov't doesn't like when you circumvent their stuff.

If they have a plate number they can see where you drove today, regardless of state.

https://www.aclu.org/issues/privacy-...-being-tracked

Sleep well knowing the govt tracks everyone. This is only one small piece of it.

You think you are anonymous online? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 02:44 AM

4,200 posts, read 4,099,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Technically your car must comply w/ the vehicle code in the state in which it is operating. Only real dick cops cite for things like that (tint is another example), unless its obvious that its being used to skirt tolls, cameras, etc. Its good PC though...
Do you have any source that says that out of state cars must comply with the vehicle code in the state of operation? I’m not saying you are wrong but I just don’t think anyone ever looks up or is required to look up vehicle codes for every state they are going to drive through on a road trip. Car registrations (and “vehicle code”) are regulated by the state that issues the registration. California doesn’t ticket out of state cars that don’t conform to their emission standards. (And to repeat again, I am not talking about a plate cover that obscures the plate number. That is illegal everywhere. I am talking about see through plate covers.)

Edit: I found the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law about license plates. The same section that says plates must not be covered by glass or any plastic material also says a vehicle must have a front and rear license plate. I interpret this section as referring to cars registered in NY. A car from a state which only requires a rear plate does not have to conform to the two plate requirement when driving in NY.

New York Consolidated Laws, Vehicle and Traffic Law - VAT § 402. Distinctive number;  form of number plates;

Two license plate rule:

Quote:
1.(a)No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle
No plate cover rule:

Quote:
(b)Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material
https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle...-sect-402.html

Last edited by martinjsxx; 12-30-2022 at 03:20 AM..

Old 12-30-2022, 03:12 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,133,761 times
Not everything is accepted here and blocking plates is one of them …

Old 12-30-2022, 03:23 AM

4,200 posts, read 4,099,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Not everything is accepted here and blocking plates is one of them …
I think you missed the multiple times when I said I wasn’t referring to obscuring (i.e. “blocking”) the plate number. In NY you can’t use ANY cover even if the plate is completely visible. Plate covers that are sold by legitimate places are for keeping the plate clean, not for “blocking plates”.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:31 AM

Irrelevant , all vehicles driven on our road must meet our no blocking or obscuring plate laws …

New York Consolidated Laws, Vehicle and Traffic Law - VAT § 402

All vehicles on our roads must conform :

1b) Plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material,

and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling facility.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2022 at 03:59 AM..

Old 12-30-2022, 04:03 AM

As far as windows tints go , our laws apply to out of state vehicles too .

You can be ticketed ….

Your hope is that by showing and proving that you are legal in your home state the judge will cut you some slack .

But that isn’t the case always . You are up to the whims of whom ever is deciding your case.

As far as our laws go they too apply to all vehicles on our road .

Some laws like having a front plate only apply to vehicles registered in our state .

So you need to know what laws apply to all vehicles on our road vs just those registered here

Old 12-30-2022, 04:44 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Do you have any source that says that out of state cars must comply with the vehicle code in the state of operation? I’m not saying you are wrong but I just don’t think anyone ever looks up or is required to look up vehicle codes for every state they are going to drive through on a road trip. Car registrations (and “vehicle code”) are regulated by the state that issues the registration. California doesn’t ticket out of state cars that don’t conform to their emission standards. (And to repeat again, I am not talking about a plate cover that obscures the plate number. That is illegal everywhere. I am talking about see through plate covers.)

Edit: I found the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law about license plates. The same section that says plates must not be covered by glass or any plastic material also says a vehicle must have a front and rear license plate. I interpret this section as referring to cars registered in NY. A car from a state which only requires a rear plate does not have to conform to the two plate requirement when driving in NY.

New York Consolidated Laws, Vehicle and Traffic Law - VAT § 402. Distinctive number;  form of number plates;

Two license plate rule:

No plate cover rule:

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle...-sect-402.html
Professional experience. "Our Roads Our Codes" I'm sure there is case law somewhere, but ask Brittney Griner about jurisdictional boundaries. Another example I'd provide is replace [tint, plate cover] with [speed or mamajuana] - "well officer speed limit is 75 where I'm from". Or "well officer, its legal were I'm from".

In respect to plates, the 5200cvc is written "When two license plates are issued by the department", so if you're only issued one plate from your home department, its not citable.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:14 AM

8,701 posts, read 11,102,822 times
Quote:
As far as windows tints go , our laws apply to out of state vehicles too .

You can be ticketed ….
e
government cars including police cars with tints should be ticketed too. Also Hochul and Adams security details have illegal tints. it’s all for safety!

Old 12-31-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
government cars including police cars with tints should be ticketed too. Also Hochul and Adams security details have illegal tints. it’s all for safety!
There are laws that don’t apply to certain sectors and professions

Police carry guns with magazines bigger than civilians can have as an example .

So trying to apply what one sector is exempt from to everyone is a poor rationalization or the reverse

Old 12-31-2022, 04:03 PM

8,701 posts, read 11,102,822 times
Quote:
There are laws that don’t apply to certain sectors and professions

Police carry guns with magazines bigger than civilians can have as an example .

So trying to apply what one sector is exempt from to everyone is a poor rationalization or the reverse
that is the problem when they claim its for safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: