Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 06:02 AM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Irrelevant , all vehicles driven on our road must meet our no blocking or obscuring plate laws ….
Your replies are what are irrelevant. I never said it was ok anywhere to obscure your license plate. I’ve said that multiple times. License plate covers are sold to keep license plates clean and are allowed in some states. No state allows you to obscure your plate but NY doesn’t even allow covers that don’t obscure your plate. You are doing a straw man argument, refuting a statement that has not been made. Three times I posted that it is not ok to obscure your license plate. My statements in three different posts:

“I would assume NY couldn’t ticket them unless they obscured the plate number.

“And to repeat again, I am not talking about a plate cover that obscures the plate number. That is illegal everywhere. I am talking about see through plate covers.)”

“I think you missed the multiple times when I said I wasn’t referring to obscuring (i.e. “blocking”) the plate number.

I don’t know why you continue to refute an argument that has not been made. I was saying that I doubt NY could ticket a car with a plate cover that doesn’t obscure the plate. You continue to make the straw man argument that you can’t obscure your plate. Nobody is saying you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 06:13 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
You can be ticketed in ny for having anything over your plate regardless of what your home state allows. End of story.

It specifically says in the law ANY COVER OR SPRAY , that means WHETHER IT OBSCURES OR NOT

Old 01-01-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Professional experience. "Our Roads Our Codes" I'm sure there is case law somewhere, but ask Brittney Griner about jurisdictional boundaries. Another example I'd provide is replace [tint, plate cover] with [speed or mamajuana] - "well officer speed limit is 75 where I'm from". Or "well officer, its legal were I'm from".

In respect to plates, the 5200cvc is written "When two license plates are issued by the department", so if you're only issued one plate from your home department, its not citable.
When has your “Professional Experience” been codified into law? Brittney Griner? Huh? Just provide one case where someone was convicted of a vehicle code violation in one state while the vehicle was legal in the state of registration.

Nobody who has a vehicle that meets vehicle code standards in the state it is registered in has to worry about vehicle codes in states they drive through. Speeding tickets are driver infractions, nothing to do with the condition of your vehicle with respect to how it’s equipped.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:15 AM

Quote:
You can be ticketed in ny for having anything over your plate regardless of what your home state allows. End of story
Give an example where that happened.

Old 01-01-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Give an example where that happened.

Better yet show us where someone had a cover , got a ticket and won because they claimed it only kept the plate clean.

Good luck finding an example

Old 01-01-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Better yet show us where someone had a cover , got a ticket and won because they claimed it only kept the plate clean.

Good luck finding an example
Can’t prove a negative. If anyone got a ticket it would be if it made the plate unreadable which is illegal everywhere.

If NY required all out of state vehicles to comply with its local vehicle equipment rules there would have to be signs at every entry point saying “Welcome to New York. No license plate covers allowed on our roads.”

Old 01-01-2023, 06:32 AM

You can’t prove anything pertaining to tickets unless they are some kind of landmark example .

Again , the vehicle traffic laws do not say all equipment has to meet New York standards at all .

There are specific laws and requirements they do have to meet though that are specifically spelled out .

New Hampshire and District of Columbia don’t require seat belts as an example …try it here regardless of whether you are from those two places.

I believe the ny law on loud exhausts apply to all vehicles as well..

Sound recorders are used to issue tickets regardless of what one’s home state allows in exhaust decibels.

There are Never signs telling you what is legal or not when going from one state or another .

It is up to you to know the laws in any state you drive through .

At least you get a heads up on no left on red on some road ways leading in to nyc .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-01-2023 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-01-2023, 06:36 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
When has your “Professional Experience” been codified into law? Brittney Griner? Huh? Just provide one case where someone was convicted of a vehicle code violation in one state while the vehicle was legal in the state of registration.

Nobody who has a vehicle that meets vehicle code standards in the state it is registered in has to worry about vehicle codes in states they drive through. Speeding tickets are driver infractions, nothing to do with the condition of your vehicle with respect to how it’s equipped.
Ok… here you go. https://www.nj.com/traffic/2018/05/w..._stop_the.html

Old 01-01-2023, 06:59 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Can’t prove a negative. If anyone got a ticket it would be if it made the plate unreadable which is illegal everywhere.

If NY required all out of state vehicles to comply with its local vehicle equipment rules there would have to be signs at every entry point saying “Welcome to New York. No license plate covers allowed on our roads.”
Incorrect. ignorantia juris non excusat

See also: barlow vs US (amongst others)

Old 01-02-2023, 09:52 AM

108 posts, read 103,385 times
Stop trolling the serious Sams and negative Neds on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: