Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:11 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Clean streets, luxury amentities, the arts, the shopping (there are 8 Prada stores in Manhattan now) and the exclusiveness and luxury of it all.
Where are the missing 4 Prada stores? I know of 4 - Madison, 5th, Soho, and East 57th - five if you count Manhasset, but that's suburban. If you're a poseur, that's fine, but at least get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 PM

112 posts, read 325,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Where are the missing 4 Prada stores? I know of 4 - Madison, 5th, Soho, and East 57th - five if you count Manhasset, but that's suburban. If you're a poseur, that's fine, but at least get your facts straight.
Excuse me, seven.

Prada on E 57th
Prada on E 70th
Prada's flagship on Broadway in SoHo
Prada Sport in SoHo
Prada's diffusion line MIU MIU on Madison Avenue
Prada's diffusion line MIU MIU on Prince(?) in SoHO
And yes, Prada Manhasset (which doesn't technically count but its in the area and I'm there a lot)

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-13-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, seven.

Prada on E 57th
Prada on E 70th
Prada's flagship on Broadway in SoHo
Prada Sport in SoHo
Prada's diffusion line MIU MIU on Madison Avenue
Prada's diffusion line MIU MIU on Prince(?) in SoHO
And yes, Prada Manhasset (which doesn't technically count but its in the area and I'm there a lot)

I can see where your skepticism comes from because I wouldn't expect anyone like you to know what a MIU MIU was (let alone afford Prada) so its no big deal.
Ah, the lower end Prada was being counted. I stand corrected if those are to be factored as well. And, yes, I can afford Prada and then some, thank you.

And, I am glad to know that we need to count Manhasset as being in New York, since you're there a lot, but least time I checked one needed to take a bridge and/or tunnel to get there, oh dear!

Old 07-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Ah, the lower end Prada was being counted. I stand corrected if those are to be factored as well. And, yes, I can afford Prada and then some, thank you.

And, I am glad to know that we need to count Manhasset as being in New York, since you're there a lot, but least time I checked one needed to take a bridge and/or tunnel to get there, oh dear!
You see, Prada Manhasset is where a lot of the VIP and trunk shows take place. I would send you an invitation, but I'm guessing public transport is very limited in Manhasset.

Toodles!

Last edited by Materialism; 07-12-2008 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 12:53 PM

21 posts, read 89,099 times
Quote:
YES IT IS.

AND I'm loving the yuppification of NYC. What's not to love?

New York is basically adult Disneyland and its such an name brand city. Clean streets, luxury amentities, the arts, the shopping (there are 8 Prada stores in Manhattan now) and the exclusiveness and luxury of it all.

Ill take the Marc Jacobs on every corner over those crappy and dirty Mom and Pop stores anyday. Give me the hipsters from Ohio over the ghetto Medicaid/Welfare public housing set anyday. I'll take "Eurotrash"and yuppies over thugs anyday.

I love New York.
All these things you mentioned are nice, but people come to the cities for the opportunity to live in an affordable place while they move up the ladder. If social mobility disappears, so will the city. If rents keep going up,

A) The first who will leave are the rich businesses, not just middle class people. Disney Publishing left last year, and so will many others. Rich, fat corporations are the first to leave when rents go up an inch. And with them go the jobs that yuppies, grads and others want. As well as the shops and businesses that cater to them.

B) If middle class businesses (Asian foods, laundrymats, beauty salons, family owned stores, etc) that cater to students and others that move here to try to make it leave, where will you get the variety of products? Franchises? If NYC turns into a franchised mall, why would people come if they can just shop at their local mall?

C) Rich yuppies shop at exclusive stores (Prada, like you said). How many Prada stores you think you can have in a city? Hoe exclusive can they be when you have a 100 of them? And how will they make money year round with so many stores? Exclusive stores can't be run the same way as franchises. Do you think yuppies are the only ones that shop at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Starbucks, etc? Those businesses cater to middle class, students, etc. Rich yuppies don't shop year round and they don't always shop local. Middle class people do.

C) Result: a downward cycle leading back to the 70's again. With a small class of rich people living in their Upper Side apts, and the poor living in the streets. Why do you think the 70's were so bad? Because middle class, decent people did not want to live here.

No economy can survive on just tourists, rich and poor people. The economy depends on the working middle class, and when they leave, there goes the future of our city.

278 posts, read 1,186,914 times
This thread keeps getting better and better.

Quote:
You see, Prada Manhasset is where a lot of the VIP and trunk shows take place. I send you an invitation, but I'm guessing public transport is very limited in Manhasset.

Toodles!
LOL...I'd thank you, but I don't need your invitation. And, just so you know, you're shopping with my mother's generation in Manhasset, but if you think that's hip, more power to you.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyed Grad View Post
All these things you mentioned are nice, but people come to the cities for the opportunity to live in an affordable place while they move up the ladder. If social mobility disappears, so will the city. If rents keep going up,

A) The first who will leave are the rich businesses, not just middle class people. Disney Publishing left last year, and so will many others. Rich, fat corporations are the first to leave when rents go up an inch. And with them go the jobs that yuppies, grads and others want. As well as the shops and businesses that cater to them.

B) If middle class businesses (Asian foods, laundrymats, beauty salons, family owned stores, etc) that cater to students and others that move here to try to make it leave, where will you get the variety of products? Franchises? If NYC turns into a franchised mall, why would people come if they can just shop at their local mall?

C) Rich yuppies shop at exclusive stores (Prada, like you said). How many Prada stores you think you can have in a city? Hoe exclusive can they be when you have a 100 of them? And how will they make money year round with so many stores? Exclusive stores can't be run the same way as franchises. Do you think yuppies are the only ones that shop at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Starbucks, etc? Those businesses cater to middle class, students, etc. Rich yuppies don't shop year round and they don't always shop local. Middle class people do.

C) Result: a downward cycle leading back to the 70's again. With a small class of rich people living in their Upper Side apts, and the poor living in the streets. Why do you think the 70's were so bad? Because middle class, decent people did not want to live here.

No economy can survive on just tourists, rich and poor people. The economy depends on the working middle class, and when they leave, there goes the future of our city.
Everything is fine, you're overanalyzing.

The wealthy and expensive cities of the world a la London and Paris have been doing just fine, so will New York. The wealthy aren't going anywhere. New York is getting better and better each year even as the prices go up. Manhattan is very desireable; if you weren't aware, the average price of a Manhattan apartment is $1,700,000+ and I highly doubt Manhattan will loose its cachet.

If only New York would follow Paris footsteps and demolish the housing projects (especially the ones in Manhattan) and relocate them all to Yonkers or somewhere in Bronx. That would be grand.

Let's re- name it Medicaid, New York or Welfaresville, Bronx.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 PM

278 posts, read 1,186,914 times
Quote:
Everything is fine, you're overanalyzing.

The wealthy and expensive cities of the world a la London and Paris have been doing just fine, so will New York. The wealthy aren't going anywhere. New York is getting better and better each year even as the prices go up. Manhattan is very desireable; if you weren't aware, the average price of a Manhattan apartment is $1,700,000+ and I highly doubt Manhattan will loose its cachet.

If only New York would follow Paris footsteps and demolish the housing projects (especially the ones in Manhattan) and relocate them all to Yonkers or somewhere in Bronx. That would be grand.

Let's re- name it Medicaid, New York or Welfaresville, Bronx.
Haha exactly.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Somebody is living in a fantasy world...and I don't think it's the majority of the 8.2 million people who call New York City home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City