Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I'm not removing any of them because none of them are Disneyland and that's the point. Maybe Corona's just "bad" while ENY is "horrible," but neither is Disneyland. I should add University Heights to the list too, shouldn't I, Mario?
Ha yeah you should......terrible neighborhood University Heights. Its really been bad this summer. Drugs, drugs drugs the name of the game. The 52nd police dont know what to do with us anymore. There was a fight recently and a kid got knocked out.....and the block had about 60 guys on edge...ready to fight and questioning anybody who was not from the block. The cops just passed by as the guys jeered and cursed at them.

Ha ha what a jungle.

*But I wont give out too much information, plots, or reasons for the extra "security" the Dominicans have recently.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I don't see why we keep having these post. "Yuppies" are the best thing to ever happen to New York City. They are the ones who are turning it from a crime ridden dumb to somewhere you can actually live without a fear of getting shot every other minute. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather yuppies than criminals running the streets. For those people who think New York is losing it's appeal you must be out of your mind. This isn't 1970's people. I'm sorry if the "yuppies" are driving up the rent but if you can't afford it then GET OUT. New York is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Haven't you came to that realization?!!? The city is rapidly changing and it's for the better. GET OVER IT ALREADY!
but where does it end..just wait til you can't afford to live there anymore and have to sell your place to a european, or a chinese, or a japanese or middle easterner, because that's who will have to money (their currency) it takes to live there....

Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I recommend riding the 1/6/2/4/F trains from one end to the other
Hm... off topic, but since the F is my train, I feel like I should do it. My stop's 169th, so I know the Queens end well, but I've only gone as far as E. Broadway (...speaking of places that aren't Disneyland...) I always take the G or J into Brooklyn, but taking just the F to Coney might make for a fun day trip. 43 stops if I counted correctly... phew.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
So in the world according to aj2007, the choices are yuppies or criminals. I guess the vast majority of New Yorkers, who fall into neither category, don't count. It occurs to me that those are actually the two categories requiring elimination.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 AM

278 posts, read 1,186,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So in the world according to aj2007, the choices are yuppies or criminals. I guess the vast majority of New Yorkers, who fall into neither category, don't count. It occurs to me that those are actually the two categories requiring elimination.
Don't twist around what I said and don't put words in my mouth.
Thanks!

Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
But that's just what you did say! You reduced the entire city to a battle between yuppies and criminals. I happen to be neither, but if I was forced to choose sides, I couldn't say for sure that I'd want to throw in with the yuppies.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:50 PM

343 posts, read 1,026,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Everything is fine, you're overanalyzing.

The wealthy and expensive cities of the world a la London and Paris have been doing just fine, so will New York. The wealthy aren't going anywhere. New York is getting better and better each year even as the prices go up. Manhattan is very desireable; if you weren't aware, the average price of a Manhattan apartment is $1,700,000+ and I highly doubt Manhattan will loose its cachet.

If only New York would follow Paris footsteps and demolish the housing projects (especially the ones in Manhattan) and relocate them all to Yonkers or somewhere in Bronx. That would be grand.

Let's re- name it Medicaid, New York or Welfaresville, Bronx.
Great. Use the get rid of the projects analogy. WHO then will clean your house, drive your bus, close your train doors, do your dry cleaning? Make your starbucks, clean your streets? 400,000+ people live in public housing in new York city, where you gonna move them? Thats a size of more than most cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Or better yet why don't we just take all of the poor people and drop them on a island somewhere so they are out of site and out of mind. Sound good to you Materialism?
We already have one... It's called Far Rockaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Maybe what Materialism needs is to get out there and experience the other boroughs. From the standpoint of repeated dunkings in the Bronx River, for example.
Gentrification to the newbies are restricted to the hoods that have great housing stock, access to transportation, yada yada yada. Bushwick. Bed Stuy. Crown Heights. Astoria, Greenpoint, Williamsburg? Us native new yorkers know (or atleast the ones like myself who truly are NYC and know every boro, front to back) is that we can live in dope neighborhoods that are not "trendy" or "chic" still get to the city quick when we need to. We aren't manhattan centric like new comers are. Back in the day you only went to the city to work and then you came home, and the occasional trips a month to the city on weekends to go to the movies or the arcade or something. That still holds true for many natives who live in the boros.

Now you have people wanting to live in Harlem, Bushwick?? Bed-stuy?? We (natives) laugh because we KNOW we wouldnt be caught dead in those hoods because of the history, and the element that is still THERE, and may know frends who live in the hood who tell us what goes on. Also we KNOW that there are soo many other neighborhoods where you can live that are safer cleaner and cheaper, albeit you have to get there using "unfamiliar" methods of transportation *gasp* an express bus, or dare the LIRR or Metro North, when in fact they are much more comfy, faster and convenient than the subway... .

So yes, let the yuppies keep fighting over which "new" ghetto is hot and continue to deal with the possibilty of getting robbed, stabbed or shot walking home from the train with their Ipod on. You wont have to worry about them moving into any other neighborhoods anytime soon. Might actually see an exodus like previous white flight. The downturn in the economy and rise in crime (read the post lately williamsburg?) will take care of that.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,558 times
I was with you up until the "native NYers would never be caught dead living in Harlem, Bushwick, Bedstuy." A true NYer would never say that...just the LI/Westchester/NJ commuters (hence your express bus, LIRR, and MetroNorth examples) and the prada toting elite. You want to see the real NY...that's where it's at..and it ain't on the LIRR or include anyone that takes the MetroNorth.

The Boros...you should change your name to the Suburbs...it would be more accurate.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:12 PM

343 posts, read 1,026,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I was with you up until the "native NYers would never be caught dead living in Harlem, Bushwick, Bedstuy." A true NYer would never say that...just the LI/Westchester/NJ commuters (hence your express bus, LIRR, and MetroNorth examples) and the prada toting elite. You want to see the real NY...that's where it's at..and it ain't on the LIRR or include anyone that takes the MetroNorth.

The Boros...you should change your name to the Suburbs...it would be more accurate.
GWC,

Me and My native new yorker friends choose not to live in harlem and other neighborhoods, that doesnt make us less new york. Yes it's "where its at" and most newcomers complain about the same **** we complain about in those hoods, garbage, noise,, crime, etc. So yeah i would tell someone who was asking me where to move to stay away from them in a heartbeat if they cant tolerate it. On the other hand there are people who want to live in those hoods. Most new comers, yuppies, white people, whatever move there NOT BY CHOICE. They move there because they CANT AFFORD to live below 96th, or in park slope, or in williamsburg, etc

Please with your suburban transportation comment, I know and have seen plenty of bronxites on the Metro north (Using the melrose, tremont and fordham, morris heights, university heights stops, oh the marble hill stop that is right in the middle of the projects... which are nowhere NEAR a suburb) and people in Bed stuy who use the LIRR at Nostrand and EAST NEW YORK and people in eastern queens who use the locust manor, laurelton and rosedale stops. Oh and the tons of people in Canarsie and Co-Op City who use express busses to get to work because they are faster, cleaner more effiecient than the garbage subway... Spare me!

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-15-2008 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,558 times
I agree that NOT living in Harlem and similar neighborhoods does not make you less NY, but you said "real NYers would not be caught dead living in Harlem, Bed-Stuy, or Bushwick"...so living there apparently makes you less NY or not a REAL NYer. Please explain why, as the NYers that I know who live in these areas are the REAL NYers, not those who shun these communities and label the people who live there as inferior, or "not REAL NYers" as you assert.

I understand there are stops in the boroughs, and I am happy for them. However the people who depend on these modes of transportation are overwhelmingly NOT "real" NYers, but suburban commuters from LI, Westchester and beyond, like yourself.

Clearly, between your comments about who "real NYers" are and aren't, as well as your comment of commuting to Manhattan, only going to the city on weekends for the movies, or arcade, and no other reason demonstrates that you are not a real NYer. You moved to the city from LI or Westchester..but this does not make you a NYer. Sorry TheBoros, but your correct name is theSuburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City