Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM

121 posts, read 249,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
That is when you slash this tires, since he will be on overtime he wont be around to see who has done that. The problem with this job is the senior men, they dont care if they screw the junior men as long as they get what they want. From what I see the guys that came in 90 and 93 are the worse. A lot worse then those that came in the 80s. I would like to know if I am the only one who notices this.
Lashing out at someone,behind their backs,by doing something like slashing their tires is cowardly in my opinion. If you dont have the guts to address the problem you perceive, DIRECTLY,then you are acting in a cowardly manner. Not to mention the heat it brings if and when word gets out. FIAT and IG will make their presence known. Never a good thing. Every single one of us was the junior man at one time,we all felt and feel like those senior to us were abusing us. Just the way things are I guess. As for one group being worse than any other, Id have to say I cant pick out any one group. I have seen sanworkers with two,three years on the job laughing at senior men that stay out. They purposely avoid working with the senior man that stays out and go on routes together. They run up ridiculously long recycling routes and dump on shift before lunch. If and when the layoff axe falls they will be very happy to know that same senior sanman is staying out on his routes attempting to get them back. And I have seen senior men, that run up someone elses routes after a holiday, at night, dump early, catch sleep and then snatch up OT to dump trucks. This while junior men stayed out all night and made that possible. I cant single out any one group that is acting better than any other.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
lol hand in my resignation lol just stating some facts for guys on the job to hear that wat this forum is for rite to tell guys things they hear and see....just saying in my short time on the job i have seen some serious changes for the worse....
That is all well and good but there are guys with less time on the job then you who aren't griping as much as you are. Every job is hard in the beginning. One thing that stands out in my mind from reading this thread over the last couple of years is that the job only gets better with time.

Maybe you would be singing a different tune if you were a senior man,who knows? How many have resigned that were in your class from 2007?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 AM

372 posts, read 830,215 times
griping lol i state what i hear n what im thinking if you dont like it dont read my posts....it has nothing to do with my seniority... i just dont like the path this job is taking n guys with 20 plus years can leave when ever they want they had there good times.. we all have many years to go n were gonna have to worry bout some serious changes.....stickers on lockers...economy in the tanks NY is broke many people think city workers (dsny) get paid to much get a pension n benefits....tax payers wonder y the mexican on the corner cant do our job....everything on this job is documented now there is a time on everything u do.....if u dump at 8am n now stay out all day n give bak work doesnt that look wierd?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 AM

360 posts, read 736,043 times
Rumor on Bailout for the state budgets .. Just a rumor .. What else is new lol ... =)

http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/15/ob...ailout-unwise/

Last edited by Deac39; 06-20-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 PM

It's too hot to argue but I hear what your saying KC. What is coming next? Are they going to put microchips in sanworkers skulls so they can monitor their every move?

Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
griping lol i state what i hear n what im thinking if you dont like it dont read my posts....it has nothing to do with my seniority... i just dont like the path this job is taking n guys with 20 plus years can leave when ever they want they had there good times.. we all have many years to go n were gonna have to worry bout some serious changes.....stickers on lockers...economy in the tanks NY is broke many people think city workers (dsny) get paid to much get a pension n benefits....tax payers wonder y the mexican on the corner cant do our job....everything on this job is documented now there is a time on everything u do.....if u dump at 8am n now stay out all day n give bak work doesnt that look wierd?
I dont think you get it. The guys with 20 years dont care. They have their papers in their pockets. When it gets too bad for them because of their doings they can go. I find it amazing how so many of the junior guys screw themselves and dont care.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac39 View Post
Rumor on Bailout for the state budgets .. Just a rumor .. What else is new lol ... =)

Obama’s second bailout unwise | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
You want to know what's new? At least 600 MTA Bus Operators got pink slips yesterday with another round of layoffs to come. Some people were holding out hope that they would get a federal bailout. I took the B/O exam 2 years ago and with my list number was on track to get the call sometime this year until the MTA put in a hiring freeze.

It's not safe to say that there won't be any layoffs for DSNY in the near future. Hopefully there won't be but history tends to repeat itself unfortunately.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 PM

360 posts, read 736,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
You want to know what's new? At least 600 MTA Bus Operators got pink slips yesterday with another round of layoffs to come. Some people were holding out hope that they would get a federal bailout. I took the B/O exam 2 years ago and with my list number was on track to get the call sometime this year until the MTA put in a hiring freeze.

It's not safe to say that there won't be any layoffs for DSNY in the near future. Hopefully there won't be but history tends to repeat itself unfortunately.

Also wasent it mta about 4 ..5 years that demanded more money then thru found something like 100 million in some filing cabinet and dident need it anymore... All unions have issues ... But I'm not counting anything out but why not have layoffs 2 years ago..? Why now ..? I think the no new highers up tier 4 is TRUE it's just matter of when will be called until then I'll go on with Current jobs ... And I am grateful for it but I still do believe with a low list number I'll be working for the city of new York which is dream..

Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 AM

289 posts, read 746,162 times
Default The dream

Quote:
Also wasent it mta about 4 ..5 years that demanded more money then thru found something like 100 million in some filing cabinet and dident need it anymore... All unions have issues ... But I'm not counting anything out but why not have layoffs 2 years ago..? Why now ..? I think the no new highers up tier 4 is TRUE it's just matter of when will be called until then I'll go on with Current jobs ... And I am grateful for it but I still do believe with a low list number I'll be working for the city of new York which is dream..
YOUR DREAM WILL COME TRUE ALL THIS TALK, IT WENT ON AT TIMES WHEN I WAS ON THE JOB THE CITY WILL HIRE BELIEVE ME ,AS FAR AS THE PENSION SANITATION WORKER'S PAY EXTRA INTO THERE PENSION EVERY WEEK SO WE COULD RETIRE IN 20 YEAR'S THE REASON BECAUSE OUR BODIES BREAK DOWN AFTER ALL THE YEAR'S OF WORKING VERY VERY HARD OVER THE YEAR'S ,IN ALL KIND'S OF WEATHER .THIS IS A GREAT JOB IT IS WORTH THE WAIT,AND DON'T FORGET WHEN YOU GET ON THE JOB JOIN THE 457 PLAN IT'S A EXTRA CHECK FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY WHEN YOU RETIRE.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
The MTA is a different animal, bad example for me to use to compare it with DSNY. If it takes Tier 5 for them to start hiring again so be it. I think having a minimum age around 50 to collect your full pension is a better option overall. If you want to retire before then,fine go ahead your pension will be waiting for you when the time comes,it's guaranteed.

It's not the 20 yrs,it's the ones who retire at around 40 and collect a pension for a very long time. Length of pension is a bigger factor for the city I believe in terms of saving money.

Once again RETIRED SANMAN brings his words of wisdom to calm us down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City