Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM

185 posts, read 752,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Desi, my symapathies for your personal horror stories. However, people who have to do a little legwork to obtain these taxpayer-provided benefits need to realize that they may encounter a little running around, a little inconvenience to their daily schedules; they might have to put up with some healthful soup and potatoes instead of sirloin steak with dessert of apple pie a la mode and name brand coffee while the system processes them.

Is that too much to ask while they are guaranteed amenities, shelter, food and conveniences for their long-term well being?
Just to clarify, the "soup" we got under Giuliani was obviously past due and expired, it actually tasted rotten and was infact discolored on many occasions. This has been legally documented and common enough that it was fought in court. The Emergency Assistance Unit in the Bronx was dispensing spoiled milk to infants, this can kill them. The city has since had to pay lawsuits based on this abuse. After eating the soup on several occasions I became physically ill and transferred to Lincoln for food poisoning. Until Bloomberg, most families would just eat with the last dime on GrandConcourse and 151st. I am not picky, but dangerous food is not acceptable. Under normal circumstances I will eat anything, unless spoiled. In that case I was so hungry I ate the spoiled food anyways and paid for it with hospital visits. Since then, the problem has been solved and the Bloomberg Admin ensures that the food is now suitable for consumption.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiArnez6 View Post
Just to clarify, the "soup" we got under Giuliani was obviously past due and expired, it actually tasted rotten and was infact discolored on many occasions. This has been legally documented and common enough that it was fought in court. The Emergency Assistance Unit in the Bronx was dispensing spoiled milk to infants, this can kill them. The city has since had to pay lawsuits based on this abuse. After eating the soup on several occasions I became physically ill and transferred to Lincoln for food poisoning. Until Bloomberg, most families would just eat with the last dime on GrandConcourse and 151st. I am not picky, but dangerous food is not acceptable. Under normal circumstances I will eat anything, unless spoiled. In that case I was so hungry I ate the spoiled food anyways and paid for it with hospital visits. Since then, the problem has been solved and the Bloomberg Admin ensures that the food is now suitable for consumption.
Desi, once again my sympathies for the long list of unfortunate circumstances to which you have fallen victim. It was absolutely horrendous and no one should be served rotten, health threatening food.

However, I don't believe that your history of misfortune is indicative of what the average recipient endures. Our system does work successfully in large measure to serve its intended purposes.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Desi..I never said it was perfect. Yes public schools have their problems...but guess what? You have the OPPORTUNITY to get a free elementary and high school education, and the OPPORTUNITY to go to college and beyond. Free housing for life is what you will get, but not necessarily the SAME house for life. Yes you may be forced to move on occasion, and yes you may have to spend time at a shelter, but you have the OPPORTUNITY to have quality, decent housing provided to you and your family for life in a city apt OR in a privately owned residence in just about ANY neighborhood. You also get free food via foodstamps to feed you and your family. No you won't be eating filet mignon, or have plenty of leftover for the family pets and lunch, but you will have warm nutritious meals, and your children ALSO have free lunch at school during the school year AND during the summer free breakfast and lunch at school. Yes the system is not perfect, but it works well considering the gargantuan bureacracy, waste, and abuse. I take it you received an education and could go as far as you wanted in school correct? I take it you were housed somewhere and had a place to rest your head? I take it the government provided food to eat and to sustain you? I take it you are now old enough to successfully transition from that lifestyle to one where you are able to reasonably support yourself? If so, then I say it was a success. Is it perfect? Nope. Can it be improved? Yup. Is it gonna be easy...heck no..it isn't easy for ANYONE..in fact it is harder for those who make a little too much and don't qualify for ANY help..those are the ones in the real trouble...not those that qualify for all the assistance.
Enough food? Well, I did have to beg for quarters after school in the subway 1 train at 157th so I could by from the McDonalds Dollar Menu, and I am Alive today technically, so sure I guess. As for opprtunity, I wouldn't exactly call classroom in a hallway where about 20 out 25 can't see the chalkboard in the book closet with student capacity of 5 as an
"opportunity". I mean seriously what did we learn?, That is not education, it is just temporary daycare for future prison inmates. we couldn't even hear the teacher. Services were provided, however most services were NOT quality not decent. Heck, many didn't even classify as Humane.

I believe these problems are much more common than realized. The problem is most people stay silent about it or aren't educated enough to take action and contact their representatives. The abuse of the poor is Very common, the problem is, most of these abused citizens take out their frustration through criminal behavior and end up locked up. This is Absolutely Inexcusable, and I don't feel sorry for them if they harm other people. But many of these people don't know how to defend themselves so they just act "ghetto" as a form a displaced anger, hopelessness, and frustration. And because the education they receive is sub-par in many public schools, they don't quite know how to change the system. Since they are silent and largely just violent rather than vocal, the rest of the population underestimates their struggles.

As it relates to the topic, gentrification makes this worse, it increases the instability of these families further. The government cannot actually sustain such low quality services and expect these people to better themselves and contribute to society. Not to mention most of these people are probably psychologically scarred as a result of these "decent services". If these people had the opportunity to actually get a "hand up" rather than a "hand with thorns" they'd make a decent wage as adults and make the money to afford better housing in a decent area. The quality of life overall would improve and gentrification would no longer be an issue since these "marginalized poverty conditions" would cease to exist.

Last edited by DesiArnez6; 10-20-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I agree Miles...though I don't doubt that there are enough bad stories to go around. But the fact remains that these families were/are being attended to, and the community, the city, and the government are TRYING to help. It is not perfect, nor do I envy anyone that is forced to become a part of the system, but overall it is far better than the alternative. I take it Desi that now that you are out of the system, you are actively volunteering your time to improve it in some way instead of just coming on these boards complaining? You say it needs to be expanded and properly funded...so you are donating used clothes to the needy? You have become a member of Big brother Big Sisters so you can mentor the kids stuck like you were? You volunteer at the soup kitchen? Donate food during the holidays at least? Salvation Army is always looking for volunteers. Furthermore, what is your current state of affairs? Did you graduate HS? Go to college? Are you working? Are you able to now live on your own and support yourself reasonably? The answers to these questions are critical to determine what effect all the help the city, state, government and community had, if any. If you are an adult, did not get an education, are homeless, then yes I would say the system failed you. Please advise us.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Enough food? Well, I did have to beg for quarters after school in the subway 1 train at 157th so I could by from the McDonalds Dollar Menu, and I am Alive today technically, so sure I guess. As for opprtunity, I wouldn't exactly call classroom in a hallway where about 20 out 25 can't see the chalkboard in the book closet with student capacity of 5 as an
"opportunity". I mean seriously what did we learn?, That is not education, it is just temporary daycare for future prison inmates. we couldn't even hear the teacher. Services were provided, however most services were NOT quality not decent. Heck, many didn't even classify as Humane.

As it relates to the topic, gentrification makes this worse, it increases the instability of these families further. The government cannot actually sustain such low quality services and expect these people to better themselves and contribute to society. Not to mention most of these people are probably psychologically scarred as a result of these "decent services". If these people had the opportunity to actually get a "hand up" rather than a "hand with thorns" they'd make a decent wage as adults and make the money to afford better housing in a decent area. The quality of life overall would improve and gentrification would no longer be an issue since these "marginalized poverty conditions" would cease to exist.
I've got to tell you Desi, either the system is lousy or you are not a go getter. I have faith in the system so I reluctantly must concede that the misforunes you've endured must be a result of some inertia on your part. I sympathize to a certain extent but one cannot blame the system for every calamity that has befallen one in life.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I agree Miles...though I don't doubt that there are enough bad stories to go around. But the fact remains that these families were/are being attended to, and the community, the city, and the government are TRYING to help. It is not perfect, nor do I envy anyone that is forced to become a part of the system, but overall it is far better than the alternative. I take it Desi that now that you are out of the system, you are actively volunteering your time to improve it in some way instead of just coming on these boards complaining? You say it needs to be expanded and properly funded...so you are donating used clothes to the needy? You have become a member of Big brother Big Sisters so you can mentor the kids stuck like you were? You volunteer at the soup kitchen? Donate food during the holidays at least? Salvation Army is always looking for volunteers. Furthermore, what is your current state of affairs? Did you graduate HS? Go to college? Are you working? Are you able to now live on your own and support yourself reasonably? The answers to these questions are critical to determine what effect all the help the city, state, government and community had, if any. If you are an adult, did not get an education, are homeless, then yes I would say the system failed you. Please advise us.
I suspect that Desi is out volunteering his services to the system that helped him. He'll probably get back to us later in response to these inquiries.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Until recently, I volunteered my time at the public library, rearranging the books in order, and assisted with children's library summer programs (like reading stories arts and crafts, etc.) Also volunteered in Administrative section of Board of Education and their Printing Department. On weekends assisted the parks Service (clearing trails with machete surveys to parkgoers like park cleanliness, are the restrooms satisfactory etc) Volunteered for political events (After Bloomberg made his improvements to those in the shelter, I worked in his campaign doing phone calls, mailings etc from headquarters near Bryant Park) Despite crumbling schools, I took AP and IB courses, finished third in my class, went to college (missed first year because couldnt afford application or books) had a 3.8 average but dropped out MANY times because of cost, books (not all were in the library so my grades started to slip in more advanced courses where the books were necessary) I check our senators and house of Representatives weekly and write them on every important issue, complaints praise or possible solutions. I used to even show up with unions in protest and solidarity. I never fell to drug addiction or alcoholism, saved my money when i had it (which I had to largely blow away on medical bills) All in all Medical costs are what destroyed me, and inadequate healthcare and forced confinement in poverty to make sure my bills were covered are what ruined me, wore me out. I have only 59 credits and no college degree. I moved back in with my family this year to avoid homelessness. Overall I'd say the system failed me, because I tried everything, played by the rules, was active in my community, got good grades, stayed clean and out of gangs, but born into unescapable poverty and health issues in a country that has serious problems when it comes to healthcare. I will probably always be bankrupt, can now barely walk. And when my mother dies, I will probably be homeless and on the street. And most of all, I lost the hope I had back in school days, because I finally realized that none of it matters, or mattered. I didnt really get anywhere in life despite my efforts. Sadly my advice to my kids if I even have any will probably be just stay on welfare as long as they can, and and enjoy the crumbs because they probably wont get anywhere either, they'll just get tired trying. Better to accept poverty and smile. Maybe not, to tell you the truth, If it weren't for our countrys healthcare problems (the fact that I'm uninsurable in the private market doesn't help) I might have moved upward. maybe.

As a side note there were many times that it crossed my mind to just steal something from a store to get intentionally caught and go to jail where i could get three meals a day a place to sleep and finish my school with some sort of stability. But I was scared of not getting enough care there, or facing limitations on freedoms, or any limits on health care since my health wasn't perfect. But I wonder sometimes if other people do this to, because jail just seems to be a tempting way to just get stability security and food, and maybe a an education since they provide books and you don't have to worry about anything. (I was actually arrested and inadvertently "got my wish" out of the clear blue on the street without actually trying or doing anything and just locked and chained away, I was eventually proven completely innocent, and it was not as "good" as it sounded, the food was horrible, a lot of gangs, the usual odd tranny, heh, and basically after that, that possibility certainly went out the window, as I did not want to be there) To this day that experience still affects me. Yep, I'd definitely say the system failed me. I am still nowhere.

Last edited by DesiArnez6; 10-20-2008 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Until recently, I volunteered my time at the public library, rearranging the books in order, and assisted with children's library summer programs (like reading stories arts and crafts, etc.) Also volunteered in Administrative section of Board of Education and their Printing Department. On weekends assisted the parks Service (clearing trails with machete surveys to parkgoers like park cleanliness, are the restrooms satisfactory etc) Volunteered for political events (After Bloomberg made his improvements to those in the shelter, I worked in his campaign doing phone calls, mailings etc from headquarters near Bryant Park) Despite crumbling schools, I took AP and IB courses, finished third in my class, went to college (missed first year because couldnt afford application or books) had a 3.8 average but dropped out MANY times because of cost, books (not all were in the library so my grades started to slip in more advanced courses where the books were necessary) I check our senators and house of Representatives weekly and write them on every important issue, complaints praise or possible solutions. I used to even show up with unions in protest and solidarity. I never fell to drug addiction or alcoholism, saved my money when i had it (which I had to largely blow away on medical bills) All in all Medical costs are what destroyed me, and inadequate healthcare and forced confinement in poverty to make sure my bills were covered are what ruined me, wore me out. I have only 59 credits and no college degree. I moved back in with my family this year to avoid homelessness. Overall I'd say the system failed me, because I tried everything, played by the rules, was active in my community, got good grades, stayed clean and out of gangs, but born into unescapable poverty and health issues in a country that has serious problems when it comes to healthcare. I will probably always be bankrupt, can now barely walk. And when my mother dies, I will probably be homeless and on the street. And most of all, I lost the hope I had back in school days, because I finally realized that none of it matters, or mattered. I didnt really get anywhere in life despite my efforts. Sadly my advice to my kids if I even have any will probably be just stay on welfare as long as they can, and and enjoy the crumbs because they probably wont get anywhere either, they'll just get tired trying. Better to accept poverty and smile. Maybe not, to tell you the truth, If it weren't for our countrys healthcare problems (the fact that I'm uninsurable in the private market doesn't help) I might have moved upward. maybe.

As a side note there were many times that it crossed my mind to just steal something from a store to get intentionally caught and go to jail where i could get three meals a day a place to sleep and finish my school with some sort of stability. But I was scared of not getting enough care there, or facing limitations on freedoms, or any limits on health care since my health wasn't perfect. But I wonder sometimes if other people do this to, because jail just seems to be a tempting way to just get stability security and food, and maybe a an education since they provide books and you don't have to worry about anything. (I was actually arrested and inadvertently "got my wish" out of the clear blue on the street without actually trying or doing anything and just locked and chained away, I was eventually proven completely innocent, and it was not as "good" as it sounded, the food was horrible, a lot of gangs, the usual odd tranny, heh, and basically after that, that possibility certainly went out the window, as I did not want to be there) To this day that experience still affects me. Yep, I'd definitely say the system failed me. I am still nowhere.
I tell ya, desi, I had to pull out the hanky after reading your post. The failures of our generous system to help you in life makes me feel that our taxpayer funded programs are a waste and that maybe we should save those tax dollars and return them back to the taxpayers since it's actually making life worse not better for you.

BTW, I'm not a good forum detective but I know an associate who is. I was just wondering, did you not say in another thread that you had a master's degree but in this thread you're a college dropout on the verge of homelessness?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I tell ya, desi, I had to pull out the hanky after reading your post. The failures of our generous system to help you in life makes me feel that our taxpayer funded programs are a waste and that maybe we should save those tax dollars and return them back to the taxpayers since it's actually making life worse not better for you.

BTW, I'm not a good forum detective but I know an associate who is. I was just wondering, did you not say in another thread that you had a master's degree but in this thread you're a college dropout on the verge of homelessness?
? Anyone is welcome to check, I have never gotten my masters, although I would love to someday as my goal I only have almost 2 years and thats it. The tax dollars aren't working, but no programs is even worse than lousy ones.

You're in luck, Public Assistance just skipped our deposit on the 11th (actually only got $30 to live on, because yet again they screwed up our address by wrong apartment so she missed another appointment. We corrected the address....Again. It just keeps going and going. THis was the last thing we could handle, now that she is sick neither of us can get any food. And we are waiting for them to fix our case. This time we had only $5 saved for an emergency. So now she can barely swallow with very sore throat and is in bed. And could not check for pantries because of it, since most were closed last week. We were counting on going to the church at 163rd near the curve Resurrection something (the African couple that preaches Sundays at 10am) to get by, but she couldn't go, so now we are officially about to run out. And cannot get ahold of anyone unless they can call for us since phone is out.

I am not meaning to change the thread and will put a new thread if need be about services or something if need be. but we are now desperate We are down to probably one day of food left, only. One big can of tuna maybe to spread out two days and some bread and rice, but we are really low. The food pantries were not open they are so low and just put closed signs, I think cotb16 ?Is that the name, Is from this neighborhood, maybe he can say what is going on here. Come World Ministries was also closed on Prospect. call any of them listed in Food Bank For New York City Food Bank For New York City Hunger, hungry, anti-hunger, hunger relief, food bank for new york city, food for survival, soup kitchen, food pantry, shelter, food assistance, nonprofit, poverty, poor, free food, food drive, and check for yourself. Call any of them in 10456 or 10459.

It is embarassing to ask but I actually don't have much of a choice. Our phone is shut off now, and now my mother is very sick as of yesterday. PM me anyone and tell me how the PM thing works here if anyone has ideas. I might just start a new thread. If anyone can call someone, even local church or something, or anything we really need food. I am not kidding, I am crying now and even I am prideful so that says alot. We are in Morrisania someone please tell me what else I can do. Anyone. I am dead serious.

My city councilwoman is Helen Foster, maybe her office or someone from the city. Please give advice. If anyone needs to ask anything ask me ANYthing, or PM or AIM/Yahoo chat or whatever, e-mail. I am open to any information.

Last edited by DesiArnez6; 10-20-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
I pulled this from one of your older posts...

Quote:
This is SO true, whenever I go back to the Dominican Republic, everyone asks me, why in the American movies (in translation of course ), people who are so obviously "light brown" call themselves "black". I am asked this pretty often. People DO see Obama as "brown" NOT "black", to them "black" people are much darker as seen in Haiti. Anything lighter is seen as a mixture, not "black"
if you were so poor growing up, how did you afford to go to D.R.?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City