Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosX View Post
Well I want to live in Sunnyside, which I hear is very safe, but we would both be working in Manhattan.

How old are you? Income? Kids? Age?

Old 04-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well your not that far removed from the current teens, and you said you were around there a lot. You probably know better than me. Personally like I said before I never really felt unsafe the times I've been in Corona. Not the cleanest looking neighborhood that's for sure though. Very dingy looking, lol.

Yea Corona is very dirty lots of Latin King members over there too.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,533 times
Quote:
Well I want to live in Sunnyside, which I hear is very safe, but we would both be working in Manhattan.
It takes 15 minutes or less to get to midtown from Sunnyside, and you hear about a lot of crime because there's a lot more people, but the chances of an actual crime happening to you depend on where you go about, and if you keep your wits, the odds are really slim.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:06 PM

47 posts, read 168,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
How old are you? Income? Kids? Age?
I'm 23 and my girlfriend is 22. No kids. I'm a programmer and have been so for a while, so I'm not worried about finding a decent paying job in Manhattan.

The alternative is moving to Mineola or something like that. It looks like there might be somewhere I can work there, but if not, I can take the LIRR into Manhattan. I just don't want to drag my girlfriend somewhere (Queens) where she can't feel safe walking around on her own after work.

The girls who got beat up (link: Women Savagely Beaten After Rejecting Come-On - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events) were right across the river from Sunnyside, and no matter how smart you are, it's hard to guard against a situation like that.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I'm 23 and my girlfriend is 22. No kids. I'm a programmer and have been so for a while, so I'm not worried about finding a decent paying job in Manhattan.

The alternative is moving to Mineola or something like that. It looks like there might be somewhere I can work there, but if not, I can take the LIRR into Manhattan. I just don't want to drag my girlfriend somewhere (Queens) where she can't feel safe walking around on her own after work.

The girls who got beat up (link: Women Savagely Beaten After Rejecting Come-On - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events) were right across the river from Sunnyside, and no matter how smart you are, it's hard to guard against a situation like that.

I think Williamsburg will be good for you since your young no kids its a good area with alot of young people and its safe.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Did you even read the article? That happened in Manhattan, not in Queens... and the distance is pretty considerable by NYC standards. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, just be careful. Sunnyside is a safe place, and you won't have to worry about yourself after dark there. Queens is not a bad place, and there might be some places you'll want to avoid, but Sunnyside isn't one of them. You might prefer Astoria though, since you're part of the younger crowd.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:50 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Did you even read the article? That happened in Brooklyn, not in Queens... Sunnyside is a safe place, and you won't have to worry about yourself after dark there. Queens is not a bad place, and there might be some places you'll want to avoid, but Sunnyside isn't one of them. You might prefer Astoria though, since you're part of the younger crowd.
The event did not happen in Brooklyn. The article is stating that the perp is from Brooklyn.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
The event did not happen in Brooklyn. The article is stating that the perp is from Brooklyn.
I know, I meant to type Manhattan, and I edited it right after.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 PM

47 posts, read 168,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Did you even read the article? That happened in Manhattan, not in Queens... and the distance is pretty considerable by NYC standards. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, just be careful. Sunnyside is a safe place, and you won't have to worry about yourself after dark there. Queens is not a bad place, and there might be some places you'll want to avoid, but Sunnyside isn't one of them. You might prefer Astoria though, since you're part of the younger crowd.
Yes I read the article. My point was that since we'll both be working in Manhattan I have to worry about that. If my girlfriend wants to get something to eat somewhere around where she's working (Manhattan) I don't want her to have to worry about getting beat up.

My second point is no matter how careful you are, how are you going to protect yourself from getting ambushed outside of a pizza shop because you turned down a guy's advances?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I read the article. My point was that since we'll both be working in Manhattan I have to worry about that. If my girlfriend wants to get something to eat somewhere around where she's working (Manhattan) I don't want her to have to worry about getting beat up.

My second point is no matter how careful you are, how are you going to protect yourself from getting ambushed outside of a pizza shop because you turned down a guy's advances?
The occurrences of such events are so minimal in certain areas, and if you're really going to go about worrying about that wherever you go, then don't live/work in NYC. There's a lot of people here, more so than a lot of other cities, so of course events like this have a possibility of happening. Myself, and many others have gone out late, and ate at places, and some of my female friends have rejected other guys who come on to them, but nothing bad has happened to us or to them. Notice, this article happened at 3:50 am.. is your girlfriend getting off work and going out to eat at that time? You just said earlier that you thought Queens might be a bad place, and now it's Manhattan.. every neighborhood is different, you can't judge things on such a small basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City