Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
guy u never addressed why they had to include the stadium in that redevelopment plan. Lets get real... the yankee's aren't going anywhere, and never were. Our polititians were dooped into funding the stadium because of threats. And sure enough, the whole deal is now being audited for alleged fraud in the property assessment, which is totally out of touch with reality. The stadium is pretty fraudulent on many levels. On top of that, there is now substantial retail space inside the actual stadium, which is going to take a chunk out of the retail surrounding the stadium.... i.e. for the businesses that will actually pay taxes. What a vast waste of resources, from all levels of government at a time when the state and federal government are facing record debt levels.

Btw: if any of our polititians had a touch of insight, they would have never gave the money for the bailout. Let the insolvent institutions fail. When the unemployment hits, good. Now we have a large labor force that can address the real economy and upgrade our infrastructure so we can be more independent of the largest tax on our system, energy. The financial institutions that remain will prosper and our economy will recover both in terms of real production and monetary soundness.

And one other point: I don't want my neighborhood to be a place for all people. I don't want tourists in my neighborhood anymore than anybody else wants tourists in theirs. I live in a real neighborhood, a real community. I don't want to live in disneyland. There is nobody that lives in the area that is happy that their park has been confiscated for a private institution that serves people who don't live in the community. And don't bother with the new park under construction a mile away. Great. but why the stadium again??
Bravo! Now thats a down swing for the Bronx in my book!

The poorest congresssional district in the U.S. getting taken advantage of, as usual.

The city, state, and country are in enormous debt yet we need to build the 3rd most expensive stadium on the planet, while our people starve and live on the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Jackson your points have been noted..you are against the stadium for a host of reasons, the most recent being fraud. There does not exist a development in the world that does not have SOME fraud in it..when human beings are involved in anything..that's just how it goes. Shall we never do anything ever in that case? You see it as a vast waste of resources, I see the unending tens of billions thrown into the broken education system, rife with fraud too, a BIGGER and MORE COSTLY waste..why not discuss that? Regarding your idea that the bailout should never have happened and the subsequent chaos that would have ensued as "good" is very telling of your simplistic thought process..if you though the arson, bankruptcy, and abandonment that decimated the south bronx and nearly brought the city to its knees in the 70s was bad, try it 1 million times worse and across the country in every town, city, and the world. And all you have to say is "good." Furthermore, where you live is not a "real" neighborhood, unless by "real" you mean higher crime, unemployment, horrendous schools, and government dependent residents...then in that case it is "real." Please do not portend to speak for all residents of the community, as I can name just as many that are HAPPY to see the redevelopment...and they agree it is long overdue. You may not want a lot of things, but I, along with the rest of the community DO, and we are finally getting it. The community will be stronger, healthier, more dynamic and appealing for the rest of the residents of NYC and not just the destitute. As far as tourists go, it has already drawn tourism for the better part of 30 years, but not the kind you think. The tourism has been to see how a healthy community was decimated and turned into a low-income high crime community plagued with drugs and dependency on the government. And the tourists will keep coming, except now they will come to enjoy the area, and not just study it for everything that went wrong.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 AM

Joe...when this deal was approved the city and state WERE NOT in enormous debt, so please do not rewrite history to suit your argument...there was a surplus. And you are right about one thing..seeing as it is the 3rd most expensive stadium on the planet, we as Americans should be outraged, as we thrive and are proud of our excess and gaudiness. It is in fact the American way to build THE most expensive stadium in the UNIVERSE! Please write your Congressman so we can fix this problem....3rd biggest? Phooey...we are Americans..we deserve the MOST EXPENSIVE!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 AM

In case anyone didn't know, a large retail and residential development is in the work for the Hub, similar to the Gateway Center going in by Yankee Stadium, but in a much grander scale! This is from Retail, office development finally gets off ground in South Bronx : "She'll get her wish if Related becomes a joint-venture partner with Blackacre Capital and Cypress Equities in a massive development planned nearby at a nearly empty, six-acre site at E. 149th St. and Bergen and Brook Aves. Related wants in on the proposed 1.1 million-square-foot project, called the Plaza at the Hub. Before getting involved, the developer is asking the Bloomberg administration to move a city agency into an office building that would be part of the project, sources said. Also, Related is seeking changes in the development plan, for instance, to include more housing. The current design calls for up to 250 apartments, 375,000 square feet of shops, a large supermarket, a 14-screen movie theater and about 1,000 parking spots. Officials at the city Economic Development Corp. and execs at Related — which built the ritzy Time Warner Center and is now constructing the Gateway Center mall at the former Bronx Terminal Market — wouldn't discuss the proposed project. Regarding the Third Ave. project, Glenn Goldstein, the president of Related's retail division, did say he's in "advanced negotiations" with a casual restaurant about renting the last vacant space, on the ground floor of the garage." The changes are coming, and the area is really transforming literally everyday.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
I decided to take a ride up to Fordham Road today just to see what's new in the area, and I saw that Sears had their grand re-opening today, looked nice, seems like it's only one floor now, electronics and equipment. They had a Panasonic 50" Flat screen for $1,100, to bad I was broke

Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM

Some interesting changes in the Bronx...H&M is looking to open a location in the Bronx in 2009...they are looking in Fordham, the Hub, and the new Gateway Center at Yankee stadium. And something more noteworthy about the changes happening in the South Bronx, the WALL STREET JOURNAL now does home delivery to Mott Haven/South Bronx area. Why is this significant? Because before they would only mail it to the area because there were not enough customers to support morning delivery. As of this weekend, there are now enough people ordering the Wall Street Journal to support morning delivery to Mott Haven, and growing.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM

169 posts, read 419,024 times
Quote:
You see it as a vast waste of resources, I see the unending tens of billions thrown into the broken education system, rife with fraud too, a BIGGER and MORE COSTLY waste..why not discuss that?
True. We do need reform there.

Quote:
Regarding your idea that the bailout should never have happened and the subsequent chaos that would have ensued as "good" is very telling of your simplistic thought process..if you though the arson, bankruptcy, and abandonment that decimated the south bronx and nearly brought the city to its knees in the 70s was bad, try it 1 million times worse and across the country in every town, city, and the world.
Oh so you're a profit now? Who knows what have ensued had we not passed the bailout. I see it as a natural contraction of a financial sector that has grown way too large. This is the natural market response. I think the market wants the insolvent institutions to fail rather than have it artificially propped up by transferring private, reckless debt to the public, which even poses greater risks over the next years to our currency, if our economy continues to shrink and we default on any debt. Which can't happen, because we just print more money, which could lead to a total collapse of the dollar. lets see what happens then. Private institutions just have to write down their losses, and if they fail, too bad. Their fault. And we can't keep our economy running on debt like we have the last few decades.

Quote:
Furthermore, where you live is not a "real" neighborhood, unless by "real" you mean higher crime, unemployment, horrendous schools, and government dependent residents...then in that case it is "real."
As someone who is not a resident of highbridge, I think you should speak for yourself and your own neighborhood. You make it sound like the stadium is coming to your neighborhood. Its not. You live a few miles away.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:25 AM

You mean Prophet right? What do we know about what was occuring? Major Financial Institutions were going bankrupt, as in ALL OF THEM GLOBALLY. How is that a "natural contraction" or "natural market response." I suppose we should just stand back and go through another Great Depression...because..according to you..we deserve it! You fail to realize that there would be NO INVESTMNENT Banks left..and just so you know..today there are NO MORE stand alone American Investment Banks..poof..all gone. Your simplistic argument of "you fail too bad" was the same attitude that brought the South Bronx to its knees, and almost the whole city for that matter. The South Bronx is a lost cause, oh well, too bad...you fail. And we are STILL trying to recover from that policy....and you want to promote that horrendous attitude across the county. When you get a little older and become an adult with a bit more experience under your belt, I hope you will be able to see life through a broader lens..and not just "oh well, you fail, too bad." We see how well it worked for the South Bronx! Regarding my residence, you have no idea where I live except that I am in Mott Haven...Concourse (which is where Yankee Stadium is), borders Mott Haven...the communities are identical..and yes the stadium, Gateway Center, and everything else, is also coming to MY neighborhood..and I am happy to see it all, as are many others.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Concourse does not border Mott Haven.

And Yankee Stadium is in Highbridge. You may be confusing it with the Courthouse, which is in Concourse.

Mott Haven is bordered to the north by Melrose and to the east by Hunts Point. It's nowhere near Concourse. Concourse is roughly in the 160's and becomes Tremont as you go north. Mott Haven is 130's-140's. Also I dont think the neighborhoods are that similar. Border neighborhoods for Concourse are Highbridge to the west, Tremont (or Mt Hope/Mt Eden) to the north, Morrisania to the east and Melrose to the south.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks for your insight SuperWario. Mott Haven is bordered to the North by Concourse on the extreme West of the borough, Mott Haven is bordered to the North by Melrose in the center part of the borough, and Mott Haven is bordered to the East by Hunts Point on the East side of the borough. Mott Haven is the very southern part of the borough through 152nd street, according to the city. Concourse starts off there (above 152nd) and heads to Highbridge, which is by Yankee Stadium. However, this really doesn't matter...the thread is about the upswing of the South Bronx...and I am now getting the Wall Street Journal delivered every morning...if that ain't change..I dunno what is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City