Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
there are ways to cover up easily so no one sees your tatas. Clothes, special bras and shirt, blankets, etc help cover it up.
As a a representative of a group that is seeking legislation to prevent women from having to walk around like hermits covered from head to toe, I take exception to your suggestion to Rachael.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 11-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM

67 posts, read 308,333 times
Oh just what I needed. I went out to eat a few weeks ago and saw some woman breast feeding across from me. I almost yakked in my chicken wrap. Guess I now have to be subjected to more of that.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
As a a representative of a group that is seeking legislation to prevent women from having to walk around like hermits covered from head to toe, I take exception to your suggestion to Rachael.
jackie, I don't belong to any group - was just "bustin chops," as they say.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
I did it everywhere I went 24 years ago. There IS a way to do it and still be discreet about it. I have to say nursing allowed me to travel all around taking baby with me and not have to worry about sanitizing bottles, refridgerating formula, etc., etc.

I had two kids. The first I bottle feed and the second I breastfeed. It not only was easier with the nursing, but it does have its health advantages. My husband and older daughter, then 6 years old, came down with a very bad stomach virus. My younger daughter, then almost a year old and still occasionally nursing, came down with it too. I was fine and didn't have it. My pediatrician told me to stop feeding, and nursing her, and put her on Pedialyte. She refused it. He said she would have to go into the hospital if she didn't have fluids. All she wanted to do was nurse. I called La Leche League and they gave me the name of another doctor. When I contacted him and told him that when she nursed, she didn't vomit and went to sleep, he said to let her nurse as much as she wanted to. He also said that since I was the only one in the household who wasn't sick, I probably had immunities to the virus and would pass it on to my daughter.

For two days, she nursed around the clock like a newborn. Her vomiting and diaharea went away. She not only was fine, but she actually gained back all the weight she lost and put on some. Incidentially, I never did come down with that virus.

Rachael, you were this baby.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I did it everywhere I went 24 years ago. There IS a way to do it and still be discreet about it. I have to say nursing allowed me to travel all around taking baby with me and not have to worry about sanitizing bottles, refridgerating formula, etc., etc.

I had two kids. The first I bottle feed and the second I breastfeed. It not only was easier with the nursing, but it does have its health advantages. My husband and older daughter, then 6 years old, came down with a very bad stomach virus. My younger daughter, then almost a year old and still occasionally nursing, came down with it too. I was fine and didn't have it. My pediatrician told me to stop feeding, and nursing her, and put her on Pedialyte. She refused it. He said she would have to go into the hospital if she didn't have fluids. All she wanted to do was nurse. I called La Leche League and they gave me the name of another doctor. When I contacted him and told him that when she nursed, she didn't vomit and went to sleep, he said to let her nurse as much as she wanted to. He also said that since I was the only one in the household who wasn't sick, I probably had immunities to the virus and would pass it on to my daughter.

For two days, she nursed around the clock like a newborn. Her vomiting and diaharea went away. She not only was fine, but she actually gained back all the weight she lost and put on some. Incidentially, I never did come down with that virus.

Rachael, you were this baby.
Well, I've got to say I'm now all for it if it helped your newborn to grow up to be a nice person as Rachael is.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
All I did was look at the last paragraph and think to myself, "oh my goodness, she didn't just embarass me like that" LOL. but then I read the whole post, and it wasn't so bad

I plan on doing it when I have kids, though not in public unless I absolutely need to. If I need to, I would go somewhere private.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
All I did was look at the last paragraph and think to myself, "oh my goodness, she didn't just embarass me like that" LOL. but then I read the whole post, and it wasn't so bad

I plan on doing it when I have kids, though not in public unless I absolutely need to. If I need to, I would go somewhere private.

I really believe that your perspective is a great one. I venture to say that I believe that a woman shoud be allowed to breastfeed publicly but that it is still socially preferable if that were done in private and public breastfeeding should be the rarity rather than the prevailing norm - legal but used as a last resort.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I really believe that your perspective is a great one. I venture to say that I believe that a woman shoud be allowed to breastfeed publicly but that it is still socially preferable if that were done in private and public breastfeeding should be the rarity rather than the prevailing norm - legal but used as a last resort.
Oh, you're a man, what do you know? When a baby needs to eat, A BABY NEEDS TO EAT. Women can breastfeed so discretely, that NO ONE would even know they were doing it. It's not a big deal.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Well I guess it would probably be harder for a new mother to do it discreetly so no one sees. Maybe by my second kid I can do it discreetly, but probably not the first time around when I'll be new at it.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 PM

[quote=jax78;6301207]Oh, you're a man, what do you know? QUOTE]

okay jax, I know, I can take a hint, don't need the ceiling to fall on me, I'm outta here!

Let's see which other thread will accept a man's view tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: