Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
Where do you find this social commentary graffiti? All I seem to see is tags. There are many ways for people to get involved to improve their communities--I don't see how writing your name on other people's property accomplishes anything. To me it just seems like sh--- where you eat.

If the tables were turned, I doubt graffiti writers would want others to write their names on property that they owned. How would you feel if I came up and wrote my name on your shirt? I guess it would be OK because I'd be expressing myself.

i didnt say on peoples property thats wrong. Here is a place artists can do graffiti legally 5 Pointz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-03-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: no copyrighted photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM

294 posts, read 839,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's called a rationalization. But it doesn't change the fact that when you put graffiti where it doesn't belong (and unless you have permission, it doesn't belong there!) it isn't art. It isn't expression. It isn't information. It's vandalism. You can try to justify it all you want, but you won't change anything.

And the followup question to ask is: if you woke up tomorrow morning and discovered that a bunch of "artists" had tagged your home--or your car, or any other possession--would you still feel so kindly towards graffiti?
You are right Fred. What pisses me off is that I can not understnad how KRS and Justfarr try to justify graffiti by saying its a form of expression by tagging up on other people's property? How does that make any sense?

But after reading several of KRS's post, I see why he supports it...because he use to be one of the vandals that wrote graffiti so of coarse he is gonna agree with it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 14,691 times
Quote:
That's called a rationalization. But it doesn't change the fact that when you put graffiti where it doesn't belong (and unless you have permission, it doesn't belong there!) it isn't art. It isn't expression. It isn't information. It's vandalism. You can try to justify it all you want, but you won't change anything.

And the followup question to ask is: if you woke up tomorrow morning and discovered that a bunch of "artists" had tagged your home--or your car, or any other possession--would you still feel so kindly towards graffiti?
Art is art no matter what. Just because its illegal doesnt mean its not art.

I can drift around a couple cars, and even though its illegal, it is still a type of skill acquired and art.

Graffiti is part of my culture, and it represents me in a way. I also think that graffiti is a huge part in NYC culture as well. But nothing last forever.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel To Amerika View Post
Art is art no matter what. Just because its illegal doesnt mean its not art.

I can drift around a couple cars, and even though its illegal, it is still a type of skill acquired and art.

Graffiti is part of my culture, and it represents me in a way. I also think that graffiti is a huge part in NYC culture as well. But nothing last forever.
What would you say if I "tagged" up all over your brand new car because I feel like expressing myself to the entire NYC so when you drive around in your car, everyone will see my tag and expression?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
You are right Fred. What pisses me off is that I can not understnad how KRS and Justfarr try to justify graffiti by saying its a form of expression by tagging up on other people's property? How does that make any sense?

But after reading several of KRS's post, I see why he supports it...because he use to be one of the vandals that wrote graffiti so of coarse he is gonna agree with it.
About 35 years ago or so, someone came up with the idea that you shouldn't be opposed to graffiti, because it is "art," and/or "freedom of expression." Every single vandal who's come down the pike since then has jumped on this, and in their minds, it's become truth through repetition.

It does not make sense--and you can tell because every time someone asks how graffitists would feel if they found their homes/cars/etc. tagged beyond recognition, they change the subject. It's perfectly OK for them to vandalize your property, and they've got all their rationalizations lined up to defend their actions, but for some strange reason they object when someone else does it to them!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
About 35 years ago or so, someone came up with the idea that you shouldn't be opposed to graffiti, because it is "art," and/or "freedom of expression." Every single vandal who's come down the pike since then has jumped on this, and in their minds, it's become truth through repetition.

It does not make sense--and you can tell because every time someone asks how graffitists would feel if they found their homes/cars/etc. tagged beyond recognition, they change the subject. It's perfectly OK for them to vandalize your property, and they've got all their rationalizations lined up to defend their actions, but for some strange reason they object when someone else does it to them!
They object because they are idiots that have nothing better to do than to vandalize someone else's property.

As a sign of disrespect to these clowns who like to tag up in my neighborhood, I walk around at night with black spray paint and "X" out all the tags in the neighborhood. You still see their tag name and what it says but to make them feel stupid and embrassed by their fellow friends, a nice big fat X over a tag name is the ULTIMATE insult for these youngsters.

So next time they walk by their tag, all they and their friends see is a big X over their tag. What a shot to the ego!!! I wish I was there to see their faces...LOL

Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 14,691 times
You guys didnt get my earlier post. I never said it wasnt illegal or something that was good to do. All I said is that graffiti is art.

Whether it is good or bad thing to do doesnt interfere with whether it is art or not. You have to have a skill to do all those pieces you see on walls. Not everyone can just pick up a can of paint and do something that is even close as artistic as some pieces you see on the walls all throughout NYC.

If someone was to write on my private house or car I will get mad. But real writers do not write on citizens cars or private houses. They get public places so it can readily be seen. Its not something good to do, but its definitely something that has been apart of peoples culture and NYCs culture for a long time.

You cant knock it until you try it/lived it. Its not about ego. We dont think we are superman because we can write a few letters nicely, but we are proud of our work as any artist would be.

Im not justifying graffiti by saying its good at all, but I am saying that it is a art form.

The main problem I see in peoples arguments is that the people that are on the forefront of arguing dont really understand what graffiti is all about.

Yes, without graffiti NY will look cleaner and even safer. Yes it is vandalism. But it is some peoples culture, including mine, so respect it for what it is. If you agree with removing it, its all good, but respect it.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel To Amerika View Post
You guys didnt get my earlier post. I never said it wasnt illegal or something that was good to do. All I said is that graffiti is art.

Whether it is good or bad thing to do doesnt interfere with whether it is art or not. You have to have a skill to do all those pieces you see on walls. Not everyone can just pick up a can of paint and do something that is even close as artistic as some pieces you see on the walls all throughout NYC.

If someone was to write on my private house or car I will get mad. But real writers do not write on citizens cars or private houses. They get public places so it can readily be seen. Its not something good to do, but its definitely something that has been apart of peoples culture and NYCs culture for a long time.

You cant knock it until you try it/lived it. Its not about ego. We dont think we are superman because we can write a few letters nicely, but we are proud of our work as any artist would be.

Im not justifying graffiti by saying its good at all, but I am saying that it is a art form.

The main problem I see in peoples arguments is that the people that are on the forefront of arguing dont really understand what graffiti is all about.

Yes, without graffiti NY will look cleaner and even safer. Yes it is vandalism. But it is some peoples culture, including mine, so respect it for what it is. If you agree with removing it, its all good, but respect it.
I agreed that you have very talented graffiti artist out there that do amazing work with spray paint. HOWEVER, writing it on public or private property is where I have an issue. Graffiti artist must select the proper venue to do this.

And I especially hate those R.I.P. murals you see in the "Hood" that glorifies the life of a drug dealer or hustler that once lived in the neighborhood that got shot and killed. A decent prospective tenant that comes to view an apartment in the neighborhood and sees this r.i.p mural is automactically going to think that the neighborhood is UNSAFE since someone has been shot and killed. It puts out a negative image of the area which deters good people from moving in and sparking positve change in the neighborhood.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
I agreed that you have very talented graffiti artist out there that do amazing work with spray paint. HOWEVER, writing it on public or private property is where I have an issue. Graffiti artist must select the proper venue to do this.

And I especially hate those R.I.P. murals you see in the "Hood" that glorifies the life of a drug dealer or hustler that once lived in the neighborhood that got shot and killed. A decent prospective tenant that comes to view an apartment in the neighborhood and sees this r.i.p mural is automactically going to think that the neighborhood is UNSAFE since someone has been shot and killed. It puts out a negative image of the area which deters good people from moving in and sparking positve change in the neighborhood.

I Used to write graffiti on proper venues so why are you attacking me?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
I Used to write graffiti on proper venues so why are you attacking me?

Whats your definition of "proper" venue? A subway train or a park's handball wall? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: