Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 PM

346 posts, read 383,684 times

Advertisements

Congratulations West End Man. As someone who worked for transit for 28 years and was a Motorman for 26 years I can tell you your about to start a good job. Pay attention in school car and always stay safe. Its a very different job from when I started in 82 but is a good job that you can make a career of. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 PM

17 posts, read 31,488 times
To westend man i guess we be buddies see u on the 25TH..Congrads.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM

67 posts, read 117,684 times
yup yup simdog......dont forget to wear your blue "button down" shirt. LOL

Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 AM

@dannik508 thank you sir. This was a goal I set out as a kid growing up. Now that I have the opportunity to achieve this goal... passing school & making a long lasting career out of it, is the only thing on my mind right now. Questions will be asked in school, dont matter if it ticks off my classmates.This is for real.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 AM

98 posts, read 191,211 times
@westendman me too! Lol if I can get the call aready and pass the medical. sheesh

Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 AM

17 posts, read 35,596 times
Congratz WestEndMan! I wish only the best for you in your new career path. If you have a contact that knows, do you think you can make a small inquiry as to whether or not August class is filled up yet? Still waiting for my call.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:11 PM

109 posts, read 196,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapper View Post
For those of you waiting to be hired be patient. After speaking with a TSS today there are around 1000 train operators expected to retire in the next 18-24 months. Combine that with the freeze on hiring in 2010 and you have the reason for the mass hiring going on now. They will be hiring off this list for a while. From what I understand the only reason they are not hiring faster is that they don't have enough instructors to cover all of the classes.
Wow, I REALLY hope that's true. My file number (not list number) is in the 3,900s and by next year it could be in the 2,900s??? I started in March 2013

Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 PM

One week to go & then I start my new career.

List # 275X

For those who started school already & because I'm lazy as hell to go searching through the pages, I have a few questions.

1. What should I bring the first couple of days when I go to orientation?

2. What should I bring with me besides the union packet on day 3?

3. When they say what to wear, I have 2 blue dress shirts, One dark blue, one light blue, which one is acceptable?

4. I have blue pants, the problem is that they are cargo pants with pockets on the side. Good/ no good, or should I just wear straight out black suit pants?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 PM

17 posts, read 31,488 times
Yo westendman don't worry bro I work with u in class. Just bring that packet and your HR employee print out sheet next Monday. Be on time to report to 130 livington street. Wear collard shirt and dress slacks. I started reading my rules and regulation. Send me a private message whenever....

Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM

32 posts, read 55,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndMan View Post
One week to go & then I start my new career.

List # 275X

For those who started school already & because I'm lazy as hell to go searching through the pages, I have a few questions.

1. What should I bring the first couple of days when I go to orientation?

2. What should I bring with me besides the union packet on day 3?

3. When they say what to wear, I have 2 blue dress shirts, One dark blue, one light blue, which one is acceptable?

4. I have blue pants, the problem is that they are cargo pants with pockets on the side. Good/ no good, or should I just wear straight out black suit pants?
1. For the first couple of days, Bring a pen notepad, and the blue/green folder they gave you down at Livingston. I'd also bring a small bag, so you can put the packets they will be giving you in

2. Same applies as above. Be sure to listen, listen listen. Day 3, union day you get the union the whole day. so ask questions.

3. They prefer the lighter blue, shirts, on day 2 or 3 you will order your MTA issued shirts, pants, jackets, etc... They usually get there in 2 weeks.

4. You will be ok with cargos.

Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City