Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm just saying that we aren't supposed to be doing that. Motorman Mike knows better--his reasons are his own.

Remember this one key point: if you're taking an open competitive exam, you're not going to see technical questions anyway. That exam is different from the promotional exam given to people who already work here. So you really don't have anything to worry about.

Fred , if you go and re-read what I have posted in this thread , it is general information on school car ... how to get hired ... and information on the pay and benefits for the position of Train Operator.

There is nothing - Nothing AT ALL - in this thread about what signals mean , how to operate a train , or do anything technical. If you go back and re-read my posts , you will see that.

So there's no reason to try and call me out on here and say 'I know better' because I have never posted anything that should not be posted.

I did explain what the hiring process is like , what school car is like , and what the pay and benefits are if you get hired. There's nothing wrong with that.

Telling someone they will need to pass a 'cut and add' practical is not the same as explaining either generally or in detail how to actually do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12326 View Post
i do apologize for sort of snapping at u on my last post. if possible, could u just answer for me.. what it means to "take trains apart and putting back together"..and.. i was also informed that i might need a drivers license to be a train operator... is this true?

Thanks again and enjoy your day

As best as I can remember , an applicant does not need a drivers license to be a train operator , but I don't remember for certain.

If you pass the training program , then you get your certification. If you do have a drivers license , they will investigate your driving history , and anything negative could have the potential to affect your being hired , but doesn't mean for sure it will.

Last edited by MotormanMike; 05-03-2012 at 03:30 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike12326 View Post
Good Morning Motorman Mike,

Thanks for your quick response. There are a few things that I'd like to know.. As far as the PRACTICAL TEST is concerned, if u dont mind, I'd like u know a few things:

A) One of the things you mentioned that will be on the practical test is CUTTING AND ADDING TRAIN PARTS TOGETHER.

1. Does one have to be good or handy with their hands in order to be able to cut and put trains together.

2. IN YOUR VIEW, how hard or how easy is it to do?

B)Next you mentioned that I'd be learning how to inspect the train before going into service.

1. What exactly do you inspect on the train?

2. In the class or orientation, do they teach u how to properly inspect the train?

C) How to overcome a break pipe rupture or train tripped into emergency

1. What exactly is a break pipe rupture?

2. When you said "train tripped into emergency" Im only guessing that it means when someone pulled the emergency brake on the train?

D) Signals..... As far as the signals, I'm only trying to find out info ahead of time before I take the test, so if u can, it would be VERY HELPFUL to me if you'l be able to answer a few things for me as far as the signal. Because that seems to be the hardest for me.

1. From what I see, in MOST CASES, the train operator seems to follow the signals on the RIGHT SIDE of where the train is passing through. Is that correct??

2. Heres where it looks a bit confusing to me. Say that im operating a LOCAL train which is on the the right side of the platform or closes to the wall. Before the train even pulls into the station, I'l notice that the signal thats against the wall is yellow but towards the end of the platform is green. Why is that??

3. Does a yellow signal mean to go slow or proceed with caution?
3) Sometimes I notice that theres a red signal but a weird blueish signal on at the same time. What does that indicate?

D. Reading the Rails

1) What exactly does it mean to read the rails?

E. I read somewhere that I need a drivers license to operate a train. Is that true??

F. I noticed u mentioned that there would be yard work. What exactly do you do in yard work?

If I think of any more questions, I'l come back and post to u again later. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain things Mr. Motorman Mike. I'm asking u these questions because I'm only trying to prepare in advanced. Operating trains is something I've always dreamed about doing since I was a kid.

Thanks again and have a great day!

If you get hired , everything you need to know they will teach you in school car. You will not be tested on anything that you have not been taught how to do by qualified instructors.

You do not need to be a technical wizard to do the job , but yes , you will need to have some functional ability to perform technical tasks with tools.

The key to doing well and passing the course if you get in is paying attention and doing the things you are taught to do.

If you come in with a know it all attitude , are a train buff , do not pay attention to the instructors , or try and do things your own way because you think you have a better plan than what was given to you , you will fail.

If you come in with a positive attitude , pay attention , and do things by the book , a-b-c as you are taught , you will do fine.

It's as simple as that.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
So the MTA looks down on buffs....disturbing....most Railroads ie Freight love buffs....

Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So the MTA looks down on buffs....disturbing....most Railroads ie Freight love buffs....
I meant it if they act in an immature way ... you really can't understand where I was going with the post?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
I meant it if they act in an immature way ... you really can't understand where I was going with the post?
Ah , you mean foamers....most buffs are calm and relaxed , but foamers act stupid , trespass , hug trains and other immature things...

Old 05-25-2012, 12:31 PM

14 posts, read 61,874 times
Hi, Im wondering if MTA started hiring from exam 8098 yet, and if so where they are up to on the list. I scored a 93 but got a pretty high list #. Anyway, I am hoping to get a letter or a call before the list expires. Thanks in advance, Bklynpsd

Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynpsd View Post
Hi, Im wondering if MTA started hiring from exam 8098 yet, and if so where they are up to on the list. I scored a 93 but got a pretty high list #. Anyway, I am hoping to get a letter or a call before the list expires. Thanks in advance, Bklynpsd
Nope, they are still calling from the promo list.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:07 PM

14 posts, read 61,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Nope, they are still calling from the promo list.
Thank you very much

Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,995 times
Hello. Quick question. I will be doing the 2 week tour and was told we would be working midnight. Someone told me midnight didn't actually start at midnight. Any ideas when we will be starting? Also, told would have to start on a Sunday. Just wanted a heads up of what to expect. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City