Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Good conversations...way better than just posting headlines..we are actually breaking it down and analyzing the data. Bluedog thanks for taking the lead...

I have noticed in my area (Woodstock/North Mott Haven), about 100 cops/cars/vans are clustered every morning around Jackson Ave train station (2/5 line). Seems that they are now meeting here every morning, strategizing, then fanning out into the neighborhood. I personally like this...it shows a strong presence in the community, and it makes it more localized and gets people out of the precinct and in the streets. They unroll maps and all gather around..then disperse...we'll see what effect, if any, it has. Has anyone else noticed this in their neighborhoods, or is it just the 40th precinct?
I think there's barely even 100 cops in the 72nd precinct... but eh, I reckon they must do it inside their station not outside.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Police: Two kids shot as innocent bystanders in Brooklyn | 7online.com

Even though it's common knowledge that people involved in the street life are mainly targets, this is one of the ways it effects those who are involved in it. Sad, though they're not dead.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
New article about the crime rate: Violent crime up in New York City: NYPD says murders jumped 11%, rapes rose 13%, 7% more people shot

Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
That's an interesting article, however I would have liked to see where the increases are taking place. The 40th, 41st, and 42nd (all the southernmost portions of the Bronx) are either at or below the murder rates of last year (the record low)..and the overall crime rates are up about 4% on average.

They are correct that they are a victim of their own success...as last year had record lows across the board...so it always tough to follow that especially considering everything occurring in the economy. Although I don't like the marginal increases...our rates are so low, especially murder..it's kinda hard to be upset/worry. Would you worry if we had 1 murder last year, but end up with 2 this year? The headlines would read "Murder up 100%, NYers are worried." The reality though is much different...that's kind of how I feel....yes there are marginal increases..but I think it's normal to increase some years, and decrease in others, so long as the trend of a decreasing/stable crime rate remains.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
the problem with that logic is that its not 1 murder. Lets say on average 500 people are murdered in NYC a relatively low rate considering the large amount of people. A 10 or 11% increase would be an additional 50 murders in NYC. Those are the statistics on top of all the other increases. Now 50 additional murders may not seem like alot to you but it does to alot of other people such as myself. Plus, i dont buy into the fact that crime is down when cops are and have been willingly admitting to covering crimes to lower the crime rate. I mean if you're not choosing to be blind you see it all over.

For example, my neighborhood in Ridgewood on the surface looks like a calm neighborhood and there are parts where you will rarely see things happen. However, areas by Cleveland or anywhere reallly grandview and up (beginning of Ridgewood to Bushwick border) the Kings, Trinitarios, Bloods are fighting non-stop to claim rights over the neighborhood and if you just happen to be walking by during those times you get a bullet in the head or stabbed in the stomach. I can speak from experience because I've been jumped a few times by these gangs not having any affiliation with any of them. But people won't hear about that stuff because people that commit crime are not ignorant to the increased police presence. They know when and where to fight and if someone snitches that person is gone the next day. As a former graduate of Cleveland i cant tell you how many people I know that live in the neighborhood that I used to play basketball with that have been killed, shot, or stabbed and in critical condition but that never get reported because of who it is. And people use the excuse well if its thugs killing thugs then i have no problem with it but again thats flawed logic seeing as how recruitment for gangs is bigger than ever in NYC. One may die but another ten join. How does that contribute to safety???

Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Its also interesting how you say "Would you worry if we had 1 murder last year, but end up with 2 this year? The headlines would read "Murder up 100%, NYers are worried." The reality though is much different..." when the percentages are the only thing that make NYC to appear safe in the first place. With the high population that NYC has, in order to match the murder rate in percentages of other high crime areas in the country the murders would have to occur at a ridiculous rate. Granted there are many nice places in NYC to live which make the city overall seem safe but to say that crime is only happening in 6 or 7 areas in NYC like people claim is simply wishful thinking or ignoring logic.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The fundamental issue is this: 1 year does not a trend make...and even less so for 6 months. Yes some areas are experiencing increases, and it is important to nip it in the bud, and from what I see the NYPD is trying to do that. However, we also have to understand that crime does not go down every year for infinity..if you look at the last 20 years you will note some ups but mostly down, and the overall trend is downward..and that is what is most important. Sometimes up, sometimes down..but you cannot believe that crime is now "out of control" or "we are worried" because of 6 months of data...let's be real here.

It's normal for these rates to fluctuate daily/monthly/yearly...and there isn't anything to worry about or fear. If the NYPD were taking a laissez-fare/hands off approach I would be concerned, but I live in a higher crime community and I see first hand the increased presence/strategies so I know they are actively attacking the situation. This doesn't mean we are crime free or "safe" (where is?), but it does mean that there is NO evidence to believe we are "spiraling to the 70s" ...it is a blip thus far..nothing more.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Very few people aside from extreme pessimists would say that the crime is reverting back to the old days but my problem is not so much with the recent trend but rather with the misrepresentation of facts to make a city seem more appealing than it really is. Here we are attracting young rich hipsters to locations that are nowhere near safe and yet they are coming in bunches because all they here is that "NYC is the safest place to live." Sorry if im a realist but thats crap. Thankfully, the hipsters have been fortunate so far and we dont hear too many stories about them because apparently they've read up about where they live at and are smart about coming and leaving their home but dont tell me its safe. I'll tell you one thing, I live in Ridgewood but i spend alot of time in Bushwick seeing as how alot of my friends live there and from Starr to Cooper (about 40 blocks) between Wyckoff and Bushwick man they must be hiding cause I definitely dont see them anywhere. The only place where they feel comfortable walking because they are a few moving in is by the Jefferson Stop and maybe 5 or 6 by Dekalb but past that is extremely rare. The reason, their not blind to the crime that is occuring. So the point of all this is that sure crime has been decreasing since the 90s but who is telling us this? The cops that have willingly admitted to lying to make the city seem safer? I mean, why not blindly trust the facts and convince ourselves that crime is low...

Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 AM

And again im not saying that this is NYC 1993 all over again or has been for the past few years but things aren't as nice as the statistics make them seem to be. And just to show how crime doesn't get reported. We were driving home through Myrtle Ave by Cornelia, Madison in Ridgewood yesterday and as we're going we see two guys with guns chasing down a group of people shooting at them and you know whats the most amazing thing about this story... No cops to be found anywhere. Theres one that didnt get reported. Two blocks down another crew of 10 people beating up mercilessly on three adults that just happened to be walking on thier block. No this is not Bushwick, East NY, Flatbush or the Bronx, this is Queens. Not Jamaica Queens but the relatively good part of Queens where me and my family moved to from East NY to escape crap like this. By the way in both occasions we saw the guys run-off completely free without any repercussions cause the supposed increased police presence was nowhere to be found. You cant tell me that this is just a blip when NYC has to cut back on the police force. This is not a recent trend that is going away this is something that is going to continue to happen until they make a law that anyone whose in a gang goes to jail automatically. If they're caught throwing up a sign, wearing black and gold beads or have a red bandana coming out their pockets arrest them on the spot. That sounds harsh and probably wont happen but im just tired of this crap happening already. Theres no inexpensive safe place to move anymore...

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM

157 posts, read 394,858 times
Been alot of 4 murders in one day articles recently its that deadly weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City