Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

It's a shame you see it as a job and not discussing reality in NYC. If the city is silent for a few days/weeks, you say nothing. But when something happens you post. A person with more credibility would be around those quiet days to acknowledge how the city has been quiet, and not pop up simply when something happens.

We know murders happen in NYC..and yeah 8 times out of 10 it is drug related. Is there anything analytical you can contribute? Any insight? An interesting fact or statistic that will spur conversation, or help us understand crime better? Or you can simply do your job and keep posting random crimes and make sinister statements like "rough start to the week" or "brutal day". (this applies to everyone!)

This thread is at its best when we are analyzing the causes of crime, stats, trends, predictions, and not just "Man shot while smoking on toilet."

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,750 times
Actually I've noted more than once when neighborhoods have been quiet or whatnot. Don't believe me, check my past posts. I have recognized when parts of the city improved or if crime has been very low. And at the same token, there's been numerous times when the city experience high crime and I say nothing. I don't even post everyday so trying to shoot my credibility is a lost on your part. You are very quick to pat your back in condescension when I've posted articles, not just daily news articles, and asked other posters whether they agree or not & try to spark some debate. Maybe you're confused but you are NOT the only one who contributes to this thread and you are not the only one who tries to analyze things or look at them in a logical view. The only difference is that you're on the opposite side of an opinion from most posters.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 AM

That was not necessarily posted to you..it was for everyone. You live in Newark, NJ right? I suspect there is alot more to talk about there...some interesting happenings. I believe they have demolished a significant number of housing projects also.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That was not necessarily posted to you..it was for everyone.
The first paragraph was definitely addressed to me.

Quote:
You live in Newark, NJ right? I suspect there is alot more to talk about there...some interesting happenings. I believe they have demolished a significant number of housing projects also.
Yep, the projects right by Rutgers are being torn down as we speak. There's another set of projects in the Central Ward by Muhammad Ali Ave are being prepared to be torn down. But most of the PJs were knocked down in the 90s and replaced by town housing particularly in Springfield-Belmont neighborhood where a good number of projects were. Like NYC, Newark is also experiencing an uptick in crimes this year, even though we had a full month of no homicides earlier this year.

There's another article on the NYPD and quotas, this time the 77th precinct: Cops at Brooklyn's crime-ridden 77th Precinct told to meet quotas for moving violations, memos say

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Where are they housing the displaced residents? Or are they all applying now for NYC housing? Just so you know, anyone in the country can simply pick up and go to a NYC homeless shelter, and the city by law must provide them housing by saying they are 'homeless." I wonder if all those cities that are demolishing housing projects are causing an increasing in NYC homeless shelter residents? I know of several people from other states who have found virtually free housing in NYC this way within a few months. If you are willing to stick it out in the shelters for a few months, NYC will reward you with virtually free housing for life. Not a bad deal.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Where are they housing the displaced residents? Or are they all applying now for NYC housing? Just so you know, anyone in the country can simply pick up and go to a NYC homeless shelter, and the city by law must provide them housing by saying they are 'homeless." I wonder if all those cities that are demolishing housing projects are causing an increasing in NYC homeless shelter residents? I know of several people from other states who have found virtually free housing in NYC this way within a few months. If you are willing to stick it out in the shelters for a few months, NYC will reward you with virtually free housing for life. Not a bad deal.
Funny thing is for my Race & Ethnicity class, we were watching Street Fight which showed the 2002 campaign between Cory Booker and Sharpe James & one of Cory's points were Sharpe tore down the PJs but where do they go. The small townhousing he replaced them with can't possibly provide the number of people who were displaced. In fact Cory Booker was living at the Brick Towers on Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd at the time (they were also tore down in 2006). Honestly, I don't know what happens to the people displaced. They might be homeless, apply for Section 8 in Newark or other cities. The thing for me is despite the improvements, Newark still has a lot of vacant lots and abandoned buildings around the city & those can be used to help the people who are displaced.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Interesting news: NYPD: Police-Related Shootings Hit All Time Low - Gothamist

Any thoughts?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM

I cannot say whether this is good or bad. The articles suggests it may be because cops are more afraid to shoot their guns for fear of losing their jobs, lawsuits, loss of pension/benefits, etc. Not sure that we should have a police force who, instead of using their guns, thinks about their pension first.

In theory less shootings by cops are better, but in the end, if the shootings are warranted and don't happen because they don't want to deal with the inevitable lawsuit and their names/families dragged thru the mud, I don't think that is better. I am torn on this.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:15 AM

810 posts, read 837,576 times
Quote:
I cannot say whether this is good or bad. The articles suggests it may be because cops are more afraid to shoot their guns for fear of losing their jobs, lawsuits, loss of pension/benefits, etc. Not sure that we should have a police force who, instead of using their guns, thinks about their pension first.

In theory less shootings by cops are better, but in the end, if the shootings are warranted and don't happen because they don't want to deal with the inevitable lawsuit and their names/families dragged thru the mud, I don't think that is better. I am torn on this.
Isn't less blacks dead good? Regardless of their status.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:49 AM

Allen: In theory less dead everyone is good, regardless of color. If you want less blacks dead though, look to other blacks, not the police. Blacks are murdered by other blacks 90% of the time (I believe that's the stat, but I could be off slightly), not by cops.

At the end of the day I am happy to not have anyone dead ever. However we live in a society where criminals are busy shooting/killing people, and I want a police force that can handle the situation, and not second guess whether they want to deal with the "hassle" for fear of losing their pension. And unfortunately, it seems as though that's what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City