Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,773,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually,supermario gets bothered when people imply that Brooklyn is more dangerous than The Bx.He wants the Bx to be top dog in the crime stat battle.......although he grudgingly admits the Brooklyn has the worst neighborhoods.
The whole thing is funny. Both boroughs have their hoods. I still stick by the fact that LI is more dangerous. I was jumped, robbed and left for dead in Wantagh.
At the marcy houses I was helped to the LIRR by several people despite being obviously inebriated. They could have easily sliced my throat and used by head as a prize for killing the stupid white guy lost in the projects. So stats. mean nothing to me, it's all about experience

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,581 times
@ 1nevets im telling you bro, generally hood people dont mess with drunks. They leave them be.

In regards of the PR/DR issue im half puerto Rican and Dominican and I get confused myself sometimes. Many times you can tell though by accent, color, and even the style of dress. For example, I find for the most part that Puerto Rican guys and girls tend to dress more ghetto in the hood than dominican guys and girls. Puerto Ricans also tend to be lighter and have slower accents. However, many would be surprised if they actually went to Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic and see the way they speak spanish over there. Over here, the Caribbean hispanics that were born here or came from the hoods of those countries are a joke compared to the way its really spoken over there. Thats why we get a bum rap most of the time for not knowing how to speak proper spanish when the reality couldn't be further from the truth...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ 1nevets im telling you bro, generally hood people dont mess with drunks. They leave them be.

In regards of the PR/DR issue im half puerto Rican and Dominican and I get confused myself sometimes. Many times you can tell though by accent, color, and even the style of dress. For example, I find for the most part that Puerto Rican guys and girls tend to dress more ghetto in the hood than dominican guys and girls. Puerto Ricans also tend to be lighter and have slower accents. However, many would be surprised if they actually went to Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic and see the way they speak spanish over there. Over here, the Caribbean hispanics that were born here or came from the hoods of those countries are a joke compared to the way its really spoken over there. Thats why we get a bum rap most of the time for not knowing how to speak proper spanish when the reality couldn't be further from the truth...
I figured the accent would be a way of telling the difference. My GF is Dominican and her family is dark, some even black( but don't tell them that) Ricans seem to be lighter but I have known some that are very dark. Look at Tego Calderone.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Definitely, there are some parts in Puerto Rico where majority is dark-skinned/black like in Loaiza, La Perla, some parts of Old San Juan and some parts of Fajardo that I've seen too. Unfortunately, these areas are some of the worst parts in Puerto Rico though and I think its because even though we're all the same race, prejudice of color still plays a major role over there as well and the neighborhoods that are predominantly darker skin color do not get the resources or money invested in them the way the lighter skin neighborhoods do, similar to over here in most parts...

Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,058,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Actually,supermario gets bothered when people imply that Brooklyn is more dangerous than The Bx.He wants the Bx to be top dog in the crime stat battle.......although he grudgingly admits that Brooklyn has the worst neighborhoods.
Yeah exactly.

I hate when people make out BK to be the worst thing ever. It's worst hoods are more murderous and rape occurs more frequently but in the Bronx, robbery and felony assaults occur more. Violent crime rates are just about equal though.

They both have problems.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,058,639 times
There are alot of light dominicans though. I can show you pictures for days but in general, Dominicans are Puerto Ricans with slightly higher African genes.

Light dominicans I can tell apart from Ricans because Ricans tend to have asian eyes, meaning the native blood is higher in them.

But some you can't tell apart.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
There are alot of light dominicans though. I can show you pictures for days but in general, Dominicans are Puerto Ricans with slightly higher African genes.

Light dominicans I can tell apart from Ricans because Ricans tend to have asian eyes, meaning the native blood is higher in them.

But some you can't tell apart.
I agree my gf's family is a rainbow. She has one cousin that would make me look mixed and I have brown hair and blue eyes. It's evident that in their early history they had no hangups about mixing the races. However I see no Indian features in her family with maybe a few with high cheekbones. But that could be an African feature.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,951 times
The NY Times article was interesting, and further supports the idea that crime in NYC isn't random and is based mostly on associating with the wrong people. Murders are overwhelmingly committed by the drug trade, 90% of rapes are from an acquaintance or friend, robberies are predominantly teen-on-teen (probably rivals/blocks/buildings/etc), etc.

If you simply keep your nose clean, you would see why many people consider NYC "safe." That being said, these hardcore crime precincts in Brooklyn are somewhat of an anomaly and are leaving the rest of the precincts across NYC in the dust. Can anyone attribute this to anything? I don't see how these Brooklyn neighborhoods are any different than any other low-income community.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The NY Times article was interesting, and further supports the idea that crime in NYC isn't random and is based mostly on associating with the wrong people. Murders are overwhelmingly committed by the drug trade, 90% of rapes are from an acquaintance or friend, robberies are predominantly teen-on-teen (probably rivals/blocks/buildings/etc), etc.

If you simply keep your nose clean, you would see why many people consider NYC "safe." That being said, these hardcore crime precincts in Brooklyn are somewhat of an anomaly and are leaving the rest of the precincts across NYC in the dust. Can anyone attribute this to anything? I don't see how these Brooklyn neighborhoods are any different than any other low-income community.
I agree, that's why I defend low income areas on the LI forum. Whites out there generally feel they will be the victim of crimes when they enter "diverse" areas. And that's simply not the case.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM

@ sobroguy can you post the precints that you are referring to? and then if you could post the crime rate of a precint that usually is on pace with these brooklyn precints but now lags behind this year. Just curious to see for myself. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City