Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
First I would like to see the population of Brookly north as compared to the Bronx. The fact that they had always had similar number of homicides, leads me to believe that the population is about the same.

Second, Brooklyn north encompasses the worst areas of Brooklyn. Literally, every precinct there is either in the hood or in the vicinity. You take the entire Bronx, and include precincts like 45th, 49th, and 50th, which are among the safest in the entire city, and your numbers are going to get skewed.

In terms of violent crime rate, we know that the 40th and 41st precinct in the south Bronx are the two worst in the entire city(sans Brownsville). We also know that the 48th precinct has the 4th highest violent crime rate in the city. The 42nd precinct is also in the top 10. So I'd be interested in taking the Bronx's worst hoods, and prorating the numbers to Brooklyn's north pop, to compare the two behemoths head on.

Any one know the pop for northen Brooklyn? And also can someone with more knowledge of Brooklyn's northern precinct tell me if ALL of those precincts are in the hood? I'm assuming they are, but I know the 67th is one in southern Brooklyn which is hot fire (East Flatbush)...just want to make sure.

My prediction would be that Brooklyn would have a higher murder rate, but the Bronx would have higher robbery, assault, and rape rates.
Lol damn, went in a little there.

My precinct (113th) has seen a 70% increase in murders. This certainly sucks.

In fact everything is up across the board except Grand Larceny (not a violent crime).

Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
First I would like to see the population of Brookly north as compared to the Bronx. The fact that they had always had similar number of homicides, leads me to believe that the population is about the same.

Second, Brooklyn north encompasses the worst areas of Brooklyn. Literally, every precinct there is either in the hood or in the vicinity. You take the entire Bronx, and include precincts like 45th, 49th, and 50th, which are among the safest in the entire city, and your numbers are going to get skewed.

In terms of violent crime rate, we know that the 40th and 41st precinct in the south Bronx are the two worst in the entire city(sans Brownsville). We also know that the 48th precinct has the 4th highest violent crime rate in the city. The 42nd precinct is also in the top 10. So I'd be interested in taking the Bronx's worst hoods, and prorating the numbers to Brooklyn's north pop, to compare the two behemoths head on.

Any one know the pop for northen Brooklyn? And also can someone with more knowledge of Brooklyn's northern precinct tell me if ALL of those precincts are in the hood? I'm assuming they are, but I know the 67th is one in southern Brooklyn which is hot fire (East Flatbush)...just want to make sure.

My prediction would be that Brooklyn would have a higher murder rate, but the Bronx would have higher robbery, assault, and rape rates.
Ok. I live in Brooklyn north. BK north I think has a similar amount to bx, considering it has pretty much 1/2 the pop of bk. not all the neighborhoods are the hood. Actually, a good set of the neighborhoods are really good. th precincts play games with you and put good neighborhoods up with the bad. Example : prospect heights and north crown heights. Other good neighborhoods are Williamsburg, bk heights, downtown bk, Clinton hill (don't let people lie to you.) cobble hill, etc.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Ok. I live in Brooklyn north. BK north I think has a similar amount to bx, considering it has pretty much 1/2 the pop of bk. not all the neighborhoods are the hood. Actually, a good set of the neighborhoods are really good. th precincts play games with you and put good neighborhoods up with the bad. Example : prospect heights and north crown heights. Other good neighborhoods are Williamsburg, bk heights, downtown bk, Clinton hill (don't let people lie to you.) cobble hill, etc.

clinton is nice. the only part that can be sketchy at times is fulton street.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
I think Fort Greene/Clinton Hill are okay (some of the blocks are beautiful), but some people might still look at those neighborhoods as dangerous.

New article: New York City suffers frightening 15% jump in homicides as murder makes deadly comeback

I find the part where one citizen of East Harlem says "It's not what it used to be" referring to the past couple of years of gentrification kinda funny. As if crime decreased in East Harlem THAT much.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,204 times
hmm... my hood was meantioned...

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
I think the increase in the murder rate vs 2009 is more a story of 2009 being an anomoly, an unusually low murder rate, than 2010 being "out of control" or that we are returning to the old days. We are just about at the murder rate for 2008 and -11% below 2008 for overall crime.

So the story for 2010 is that we are at 2008's murder rate, and -11% below 2008 in overall crime. Did anyone feel we were spiraling out of control in 2008? We were in a crime spree? Things were getting worse? NYC was collapsing? In that case, why would you think that for 2010? If you compare against the anomoly that was 2009, things look bad, but if you compare against 2008 and prior, things look normal and the decreasing crime trend continues.

The news likes to spin and scare people..that's what they do like many on this board, but the reality is 2010 is just like 2008, but with lower overall crime. So what exactly is the problem here?

Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
Lower overall crime not necesarily a lower violent crime rate. Also we leave the NYC crime reports in the good honest hands of our NYPD who thanks to Bloomberg feel no need to lower the crime rate whatsoever... I think we all understand that those are not really the numbers and id rather have more GLA crimes where we have a higher overall crime rate than headstones any day... but again to each his own. One thing I could say about my neighborhood specifically walking around is that I have never seen it this bad. This is becoming more and more like what happened to Woodhaven except for the working class. Woodhaven was a once upper middle class neighborhood and over the last ten years has experienced a shift that no one could have imagined. The hispanic people that have moved in are not the good kind but rather the hood kind and they have completely damaged that neighborhood to the point where some blocks you cant tell the difference from a Cypress Hills, Jamaica, South Jamaica and Woodhaven. Ridgewoods turning the same way except its working class/poor and the Bloods now, Latin Kings and Trinitarios are going crazy. Fights all over the place, stabbings, dealing, etc. Its amazing whats happened to this place...

Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
My hood has been heaven compared to what it was in 2007 or before. My block is really dead, most of the cats here are locked up.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
I think your hood is one of the few that has gone down in crime... maybe thats why you dont feel the sting of the down economy as much creeping into your neighborhood. I can tell you without any qualms that the yuppy movement has officially come to a halt in Bushwick because the violent crime rate has increased substantially over here. East NY and Brownsville is a war zone last time I went to visit about a week ago and alot of neighborhoods in brooklyn have gone up in crime this year. Obviously, the NYPD wants to portray NYC as still being safe so they'll do what they have to, to keep the records at a point where it doesnt raise too much suspicion but doesnt exactly paint the whole picture either...

And in regards to your comment on being much safer than 2007, 07 was actually the 2nd lowest murder rate in NYC at 491 I believe... 2008 was where the spike came in similar to this year. And between the two years (08' and 10') living in NYC 2010 has been far worse violence wise than 08'. Numbers wont tell you that, but any unbiased person living here will...

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I think your hood is one of the few that has gone down in crime... maybe thats why you dont feel the sting of the down economy as much creeping into your neighborhood. I can tell you without any qualms that the yuppy movement has officially come to a halt in Bushwick because the violent crime rate has increased substantially over here. East NY and Brownsville is a war zone last time I went to visit about a week ago and alot of neighborhoods in brooklyn have gone up in crime this year. Obviously, the NYPD wants to portray NYC as still being safe so they'll do what they have to, to keep the records at a point where it doesnt raise too much suspicion but doesnt exactly paint the whole picture either...

And in regards to your comment on being much safer than 2007, 07 was actually the 2nd lowest murder rate in NYC at 491 I believe... 2008 was where the spike came in similar to this year. And between the two years (08' and 10') living in NYC 2010 has been far worse violence wise than 08'. Numbers wont tell you that, but any unbiased person living here will...
Well I remember a few years back, my neighborhood was IMO as worst as you could find in the city. It was a drug den, drug fortresses on every block. Now I don't see a soul. Maybe the dealers are working somewhere else, IDK.

As to crime going down here...it's actually been the opposite. I live in the 52nd precinct but I am sorrounded to the south by the 46th. So far this year the 46th has been calm but has seen an 10.5% increase in rapes and 3.5% increase in robberies while the 52nd has seen a huge 33.3% increase in homicides, 18.2% increase in rapes, and a 15.2% increase in felony assaults. These are all very large increases...so according to the stats, my hood has suffered like everywhere else. But I just don't see it. Years back, you literally saw drugs everywhere now it looks dead. But to be fair, the cops have gone at 183rd st hard in recent years...I would say most of the people I know are locked up.

Back a few years...I'd have put University Heights up there with anything in Brooklyn. But now, I'll enjoy the peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City