Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

If murders are 2.4% above 2008...I think that is negligible. It amounts to a few murders, with is well within the statistical range of indifference.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:15 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,504 times
@ Supermario and jordandubriel I honestly dont know where youre looking but first off they only separating those districts as of recently but Cypress Hills and all those little sub-sections where they designate 5 people to an area, is still considered East NY. And Dominicans have their presence in the projects alot more. Pink Houses is filled with Dominicans and others as well. By atlantic ave, pitkin ave and pennsylvania ave. there's alot of them. Maybe there are some Dominicans that you confuse for PuertoRicans over there but the majority over there is Black, Dominican, then PuertoRican.

In Bushwick PuertoRicans used to outweigh any other race by far but in the late 80s early 90s Dominicans started moving into that area like crazy. They easily outweigh PuertoRicans in that area. The PuertoRicans that used to live there moved to other neighborhoods like Ridgewood/Glendale or down South.

In Corona there are parts where theres a good group of Mexicans, Blacks, and other Hispanic races but the dominating nationality over there is Dominican. Certain blocks remind you so much of DR over there its not even funny...

What you said about inwood dykeman and wash. heights is true i was shocked at the diversity in wash. heights when i passed over there recently. Dominicans still dominate but theres more of a mix now... Basically my point about it all though was that although their presence is probably felt more in Manhattan and the Bronx they really are all over the place in NYC.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 AM

To the new updated crime results I think taking NYPD's wonderful crime statistics into account that we are really around probably 500 murders for the year and will end up around 570-580 in reality though the numbers will probably tell us 540-550. Still, much better than 2290 in 1990. Man that was a warzone... I wish those people that talk about things spiraling out of control either would remember or would have seen the crap that went on back then... Honestly, given how the papers talk about 2010 like we're in a hellhole I cant imagine what they would write if 1990 would have duplicated itself in 2010... The city would probably declare a state of emergency and declare a militia... lol

Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Maybe we should refocus this crime thread to the real criminals in NYC:

Coke head, former union big Michael Forde gave his drug dealer union job, lavish trips and meals

Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,750 times
Rising Crime in East Harlem: Inhabitants and Police Do Not Agree on Facts | NYU News & Doc

Found this, it's a usual article about the crime increase (East Harlem specifically) but the interesting thing is that the police are saying how shootings happen all the time, yet the residents are arguing that while it's still bad, it's safer. I just thought of putting this up cause it's usually the other way around. Wonder why it's reverse in this article?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ Supermario and jordandubriel I honestly dont know where youre looking but first off they only separating those districts as of recently but Cypress Hills and all those little sub-sections where they designate 5 people to an area, is still considered East NY. And Dominicans have their presence in the projects alot more. Pink Houses is filled with Dominicans and others as well. By atlantic ave, pitkin ave and pennsylvania ave. there's alot of them. Maybe there are some Dominicans that you confuse for PuertoRicans over there but the majority over there is Black, Dominican, then PuertoRican.

In Bushwick PuertoRicans used to outweigh any other race by far but in the late 80s early 90s Dominicans started moving into that area like crazy. They easily outweigh PuertoRicans in that area. The PuertoRicans that used to live there moved to other neighborhoods like Ridgewood/Glendale or down South.

In Corona there are parts where theres a good group of Mexicans, Blacks, and other Hispanic races but the dominating nationality over there is Dominican. Certain blocks remind you so much of DR over there its not even funny...

What you said about inwood dykeman and wash. heights is true i was shocked at the diversity in wash. heights when i passed over there recently. Dominicans still dominate but theres more of a mix now... Basically my point about it all though was that although their presence is probably felt more in Manhattan and the Bronx they really are all over the place in NYC.
HELL NO i know the part of louis h pink very well , and i have a close friend who lives in boulevard projects.

The only reason why Dominicans are the largest immigrant group in east new york is because they include cypress/highland park/city line which is pretty much almost all Hispanic(also a good indo-guyanese presence) and filled with Dominicans.

Once you go to new lots, spring creek , and starret city and any part of east new york under south of pitkin ave Dominicans are present but no where near as much as puerto ricans and black americans.

As far as i know i have never seen a dominican in boulavard, or linden , or penn wortmen jects, and lhp jects.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:20 PM

@ Jordandubriel if we're not considering cypress/ highland park/city line part of east ny then we gotta do the same for New Lots and Starrett City cause ppl considered the Starrett city PJs a separate town and New lots is considered Brownsville... Just saying... East NY is all of it and its alot bigger than what people separate it out to be.

And im telling you for a fact I seriously dont think you realize how many Dominicans are in Pink Houses especially. I used to chill there all the time. Theres alot of people that come from "La Capital" in DR that they look Haitian/Jamaican/African. Maybe theres where the confusion is but trust me when I tell you theres alot of Dominicans in Pink Houses. Notice I only mentioned Pink cause I dont know too much about the other PJ's like that, but Pink especially got Dominicans. Again, its majority Black but Dominicans are #2 in there.

And at njnyckid most likely the people that have been there for awhile are the ones that are talking cause comparing to 80s and 90s its a big difference but I do think that those that have only been there for 5-10 years will feel as if theres a rise of crime.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ Jordandubriel if we're not considering cypress/ highland park/city line part of east ny then we gotta do the same for New Lots and Starrett City cause ppl considered the Starrett city PJs a separate town and New lots is considered Brownsville... Just saying... East NY is all of it and its alot bigger than what people separate it out to be.

And im telling you for a fact I seriously dont think you realize how many Dominicans are in Pink Houses especially. I used to chill there all the time. Theres alot of people that come from "La Capital" in DR that they look Haitian/Jamaican/African. Maybe theres where the confusion is but trust me when I tell you theres alot of Dominicans in Pink Houses. Notice I only mentioned Pink cause I dont know too much about the other PJ's like that, but Pink especially got Dominicans. Again, its majority Black but Dominicans are #2 in there.

And at njnyckid most likely the people that have been there for awhile are the ones that are talking cause comparing to 80s and 90s its a big difference but I do think that those that have only been there for 5-10 years will feel as if theres a rise of crime.

whoa new lots considered a part of Brownsville??? are you talking about the ave , or the area new lots????

also you a right cause one of my home girls is dominican but if you saw here you probably believe she was haitian then dominican since she looks pure african american.

But usually if i hang out in a spot i will know the faces and backgrounds of most people now im not in LHP projects like you but i never seen a dominican in boulevard, linden , or penn wortman jects straight up black and rican with west indians in btwn.

but i want to know if how much haitians exist in east new york is it a lot of or a tiny bit. THANK YOU LOL.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Interesting article in today's Times about 2010 NYC crime,crime stats,crime trends,crime pockets,where the increase in certain crimes is occurring,etc:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/26/ny...e.html?_r=1&hp

Highlights:
Teen on teen robberies accounts for the big citywide increase in robberies,most evident in The Bronx but biggest robbery increases overall are in E New York,Jamaica and Bed Stuy.

The big increase in rapes is centered in Harlem( Manhattan) and Brooklyn(Bed Stuy -Brownsville-E New York).

Homicides up sharply in Eastern Queens,a new homicide hot zone.

The 75th precinct in Brooklyn will have the highest actual number of homicides, the 73rd precinct in Brooklyn will get the title for the highest homicide rate per capita and the 25th precinct( Harlem) has had the biggest % increase in homicides.

90% of the rapes involve relatives or acquaintances.

Although homicides are up it will probably be the 3rd lowest homicide year on record.

Overall crime rate will be down even though the violent crime rate will be up.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-25-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 AM

At Bluedog thanks for providing the information. Quick thing though, since 2007 had 491 murders and 2009 had i believe 467 (i know its something around there and we're also set to surpass 2008's homicide total, that would make 2010 the 4th lowest on record. Still, a soft year though just trying to get the numbers right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City