Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM

99 posts, read 172,074 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that the NYFD has a bunch of hiring booths/tables around the subway stations. Have you seen them in your area? If so, what gives? I thought that it was extremely difficult to land a position in the NYFD and they only did their "real" hiring once every few years. I thought we were also in the middle of the great depression...so are they toying with us or are there really a need for fire fighters? I know it's not the easiest job, but from what I have heard/seen, many people would love to join.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Yes I have seen this pathetic attempt at "recruiting" at St. Mary's Park in the Bronx. It is usually one guy, who clearly does not want to be there, with a bunch of flyers on the table. He looks at you pathetically and says "you wanna apply to the fire department." And then goes back to reading his book or sleeping. It is ridiculous....that is not a good faith attempt at hiring locally..it is a total joke and shows they could care less about bringing in local people. The occupation by outsiders will remain.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes I have seen this pathetic attempt at "recruiting" at St. Mary's Park in the Bronx. It is usually one guy, who clearly does not want to be there, with a bunch of flyers on the table. He looks at you pathetically and says "you wanna apply to the fire department." And then goes back to reading his book or sleeping. It is ridiculous....that is not a good faith attempt at hiring locally..it is a total joke and shows they could care less about bringing in local people. The occupation by outsiders will remain.
I think SobroGuy is right. The FDNY has been under fire( no pun intended) for not being diverse enough. At least now they will be able to claim that they are trying.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 AM

To me it isn't just the fact that the Fire Department's demographics are laughably out of line with the population they serve (91% white..really?), but moreso that they don't live here, don't want to interact with the local population, and don't ever care to. What do you think local residents would be saying/doing if out in Cold Springs Harbor, LI, or Rye in Westchester, 91% of the Fire Department were Black/Hispanic and lived in the Bronx or Brooklyn?

It would be just fine and dandy for everyone? Hardly....yet this is what happens in NYC and when we have the nerve to ask ''why" we get dismissed. It is an old boys network, and it continues to be so. It's NYC in 2010...how do we allow this?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
To me it isn't just the fact that the Fire Department's demographics are laughably out of line with the population they serve (91% white..really?), but moreso that they don't live here, don't want to interact with the local population, and don't ever care to. What do you think local residents would be saying/doing if out in Cold Springs Harbor, LI, or Rye in Westchester, 91% of the Fire Department were Black/Hispanic and lived in the Bronx or Brooklyn?

It would be just fine and dandy for everyone? Hardly....yet this is what happens in NYC and when we have the nerve to ask ''why" we get dismissed. It is an old boys network, and it continues to be so. It's NYC in 2010...how do we allow this?
They should reinstate the old city residency rules for public service employees. It would be a lot better for the city's economy and social fabric too.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM

172 posts, read 447,969 times
SobroGuy, have you ever took the test? It's given approximately ever 4 years, get the Chief newspaper. It is that easy.

Maybe there isn't more minorities because it is just not that appealing. Kind of like Corrections or MTA is not appealing to caucasians.

You guys clearly don't know what you are talking about!
Im the first in my family to join the FDNY so dont tell me you need family to get on the job.
What I did was ask around and found out when the test was given, it is listed in the Chief news paper. I took the test ( which a 5th grader can easily pass). took the physical, waited to be called, stayed out of trouble and that was it!

Fireman dont just decide one day that they want to be fireman, you feel it inside of you.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They should reinstate the old city residency rules for public service employees. It would be a lot better for the city's economy and social fabric too.
I agree w/ this in regards to city agencies that have no shortage of candidates who live in NYC. Agencies such as the FDNY, Sanitation, MTA NYCT, etc. For those that do have recruitment problems, they'll have to look at the surround counties for applicants.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Bombero...I don't doubt it is possible to get a job with the Fire Dept if you are not connected, it is just that much harder. And I don't doubt that the test can be passed by 5th graders..the better question is..why do we have a test that can be passed by 5th graders! Are you then surprised that you have a Fire Dept filled with 6th graders?

I would like to know who is taking the test i.e. where do they live? Why are we allocating slots to people who do NOT live in NYC and don't ever want to for that matter? We should have a Fire Department and Police Force, of the people, by the people, not what is essentially an occupying force of Long Island and Westchester residents who could care less about NYC, think it's a dump, and are just biding their time/milking the system.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Bombero...I don't doubt it is possible to get a job with the Fire Dept if you are not connected, it is just that much harder. And I don't doubt that the test can be passed by 5th graders..the better question is..why do we have a test that can be passed by 5th graders! Are you then surprised that you have a Fire Dept filled with 6th graders?

I would like to know who is taking the test i.e. where do they live? Why are we allocating slots to people who do NOT live in NYC and don't ever want to for that matter? We should have a Fire Department and Police Force, of the people, by the people, not what is essentially an occupying force of Long Island and Westchester residents who could care less about NYC, think it's a dump, and are just biding their time/milking the system.
Add teachers to the list.
Am really getting tired of fellow teachers from Westchester who have nothing but contempt for their students,are counting the days to retirement and who can't seem to get to work if there is an inch of snow.
They take their paychecks and spend them in Nyack.They do nothing for the system or the city.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Very true Bluedog....these are easy fixes to really improve broken systems..but they are met with alot of opposition from entrenched, heavily financed groups that are quick to shout all sorts of things should you try to actually make things better (at their expense of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City