Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 AM

28 posts, read 97,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenewyork. View Post
KIDS are the problem?

The only disturbances I have in this city are with old homeless dudes begging me for money. And urinating on the streets. And polluting the air with their stench.

The new constant influx of people is what makes NY NY. It's not a recent phenomenon.

I can't believe people still yearn for NYC back when it was a godforsaken pit in the 70s.

Well then if those are the only disturbances YOU'VE seen, I guess we can just blindly apply that across the majority.

You're ONE person in Manhattan (I'm assuming.) Let's, for the sake of argument, say the population is 1.6 million 1/1.6mill = .000000625. That's over one millionth of one percent. .15% of Americans have AIDS or HIV, That's just over 1 tenth of one percent... Does that mean all people have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
What's the rush?
I just finished working for about two years at a job in New Jersey about 20 miles from NYC.I went there numerous times and I enjoyed myself most of the time when I did.

IMHO you need to:

1) Decide if it makes economic sense for you to move to NYC. The economy is bad up there and jobs,good and bad, are scarce. If you can get a company to relocate you, that may be a good idea.
2) Thinking about where you want to live BEFORE you move up that way. Manhattan is insanely expensive and very crowded. There are areas in New Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island and Upstate that relatively near to the city but that would be somewhat cheaper than the city itself.
3) Take a long sober look at what living in a big city will mean. Crime,traffic,high cost of living,unfriendly people,etc are all negatives that will confront you on a daily basis. Also,if you don't know anybody, the city can be a lonely place.
4) Find somebody that you trust who lives or lived in NYC and see what they have to say. Don't let them make your decision...but you should listen to their input.

New York City is a great place w/ a lot to see and do. It's also a cold place where many people have moved to fulfill their hopes and dreams and have had those hopes and dreams dashed.
Before you move there,you need to take a realistic look at the city and see if it will be a fit for you.
And this guy "gets it." WAY more practical advice than "Do it! It's the land of wealth and privilege up there!" (I'm guessing you're older than 19.)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
I don't think anyone is saying - Do it! It's the land of wealth and privilege! I think we are saying - Do it! It is your dream! See how it goes!
I think that we need to get back to the original poster. Whatever our individual opinions are on NYC and how it is or how it was - the OP was asking for advice. I don't think any of this is helping.
I don't think that anyone would suggest moving to New York with out a plan - and it sounds like she isn't going to do that anyway. She already said that she was going to stay where she was for another year and work to save money. New York is a competitive place - and it's not for everybody. But I think people need to make up their own minds about that. And the areas that I have lived in and spent most of my time in have been wonderful - not riddled with crime with people just peeing and puking all over the place in a constant stream! Trust me - I have seen cities that are much worse in that respect. I think if it's something that you want to do, and you are taking the necessary steps to prepare yourself for the move, then you should do it!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 AM
TT1

148 posts, read 439,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonUptown View Post
You mention more HNWI in NY than elsewhere... Really? No kidding... Thanks for seeing that one Stevie Wonder. That would be due to the overwhelming size of the economy...fantastic! (There's also more rats! But it doesn't mean that each individual Tri-State area rat is "better off" than his countrywide counterparts.) It comes down to simple arithmetic
Oy, not this again....

One would think simple mathematics would be a required for this alleged 22 year stint at Stern School of Business.

Reverting back to our lovely (and dreaded, if we ask you) chart again and pull out a basic calculator....

Metros by % of Adults who are High Net Worth Individuals

New York City 3.6%
San Francisco 3.4%
Boston 2.9%
Washington 2.9%
Chicago 2.2%
Detroit 2.2%
Los Angeles 2.0%
Philadelphia 1.8%
Houston 1.5%

So no, calculations say population has no correlation to wealth. San Francisco isn't the second largest city in the US. Boston isn't the third largest city in the US. Washington isn't the fourth largest city in the US, Houston is and is at the very bottom, again. And look at how they rank.

Makes me happy I went with Columbia instead of Stern!

But of course, that's the metropolitan area as a whole. Yes, your chances of running into a millionaire is smaller in smaller communities. But here's the thing, "bransonUptown" look where the highest % of these small towns are located....in the New York City metropolitan area. Followed by DC/SF. Not in Podunk, Missouri.

Quote:
"nowhere on the PLANET with as many million dollar earners as NY," - I'm still waiting.
So we know that New York City is the city with the most billioniares on the planet. We know that New York City is the city with the most millionaires on the planet.

Well how do we know this, you ask?

World millionaire count:

United States … 3,000,000 (29.7% of world millionaires reside in the US)
Germany … 826,000 (8.2%)
United Kingdom … 495,000 (4.9%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire UK.
China … 415,000 (4.1%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire China.
Canada … 274,000 (2.7%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire Canada.
Australia … 172,000 (1.7%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire Australia.
Brazil … 143,000 (1.4%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire Brazil.
Russia … 136,000 (1.3%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire Russia.
India … 123,000 (1.2%) <---- NYC has more millionaires than the entire India.

Clearly, very progressive taxation (and lack of innovation) in Euro/Asia stagnates their wealth creation.

And with that, back to square one we go! If we use your prior and laughably inaccurate theory that "Of course NYC has the most millionaires! It's the biggest!", then theoretically "Of course NYC has the most million dollar jobs, it's the biggest!"....rightttt?

....or no? If you answer no, I'm just going to put you on ignore. Don't have time the silliness. You're contradicting yourself.

NYC apparently has the most millionaires of all cities. The most billioniares of all cities. By far the biggest economy in the wealthiest country in the world. Leads when it comes to housing the most powerful corporations/Fortune 500 companies on the planet. Leads the world when it comes to Global 500 companies. Yet it's just inconceivable that NYC could possibly have the most more million dollar jobs, right? Where does? Orlando Florida? Birmingham Alabama? Biloxi Mississippi? Las Vegas? Detroit? San Antonio? Kansas City LOL? Pleassseee use common sense here. How could there NOT be a logical answer to this one?

22 years at Stern. Really? Please just give it up.

Last edited by TT1; 05-28-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM

OH... MY... GOD... Like talking to a robot... You can bring as many fancy charts and emoticons (cool!) into this as you want, that doesn't make you more right with your advice... Who's disagreeing with statistics? NO ONE IS DISAGREEING WITH STATISTICS. It is the way you are interpreting the charts to toss out the blanketed notion that "New York is the land of milk and honey." Again, did you read the original post? Overall, the distribution of household income in New York City is characterized by tremendous disparities. This phenomenon is especially true of Manhattan, which in 2005 was home to the wealthiest U.S. census tract, with a household income of $188,697, as well as the poorest, where household income was $9,320... Period. NOW (and you may wanna sit down for this...) We can apply that to the original comment to answer a question!!! See how easy? The reciting of your daily lesson isn't even relevant to the topic, or impressing me. A monkey can cut and paste... It's how we interpret the data and apply it to real life situations that matters... But give me some more charts... They're fascinating.

Metros by % of Adults who are High Net Worth Individuals

New York City 3.6%
San Francisco 3.4%
Boston 2.9%
Washington 2.9%
Chicago 2.2%
Detroit 2.2%
Los Angeles 2.0%
Philadelphia 1.8%
Houston 1.5%

OK? And? This proves NOTHING, except people who are already wealthy, and can choose where they want to live (money opens doors, as I'm sure you learned on day one) choose to live in NY... What's the relevance to annawhat?

If you do not engage me on ANY of my questions, there really is no point to this. So, again, DID YOU EVEN READ THE OP? You comment on NOTHING related to taxes and how your whole argument is based on "Well, people are leaving NY at a slower rate than the rest of the country, so move here one and all... The times they are-a grand!" That's a fact (according to you.)

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
TT1

Quote:
OH... MY... GOD... Like talking to a robot... You can bring as many fancy charts into this as you want, that doesn't make you more right with your advice... Who's disagreeing with statistics? NO ONE IS DISAGREEING WITH STATISTICS. It is the way you are interpreting the charts to toss out the blanketed notion that "New York is the land of milk and honey." Again, did you read the original post? Overall, the distribution of household income in New York City is characterized by tremendous disparities. This phenomenon is especially true of Manhattan, which in 2005 was home to the wealthiest U.S. census tract, with a household income of $188,697, as well as the poorest, where household income was $9,320... Period. NOW (and you may wanna sit down for this...) We can apply that to the original comment to answer a question!!! See how easy? The reciting of your daily lesson isn't even relevant to the topic, or impressing me. A monkey can cut and paste... It's how we interpret the data and apply it to real life situations that matters... But give me some more charts... They're fascinating.

If you do not engage me on ANY of my questions, there really is no point to this. So, again, DID YOU EVEN READ THE OP? You comment on NOTHING related to taxes and how your whole argument is based on "Well, people are leaving NY at a slower rate than the rest of the country." That's a fact (according to you.)
Ughh.....

I never once said a ticket to New York City is a guaranteed way to strike it rich. It isn't. The vast majority of people who move to New York City will never be rich.

I was simply debunking your claim that New York City doesn't have the most wealth of all cities on the planet. NYC does most certainly does have the most wealth of all cities. The IRS and the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (and Forbes) back up that claim. Not to mention, Wall Street holds approx 40%+ of the World's wealth...

And I was also debunking your counterclaim that New York City doesn't have the most million dollar jobs on the planet, when obviously it does.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, the wealth disparity between rich/poor in New York City is shocking. But that has nothing to do with the argument. Let's not veer off subject.

Please just drop the subject and never bring it up again. mmmkay? Thanks.

Last edited by TT1; 05-28-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Wrong. You were trying to vomit dogmatic phrases and statistics from 2007 (DOW over 14,000!!) all over this page because it's (I'm sure) the only human interaction you have. When we were talking about percentage of millionaire households, you couldn't see this, because I'm sure "Does not compute... Does not compute" flashed across your motherboard.

Top 5 states by HNWIs (more than $1 million, in 2009)
Percentage of millionaire householdsNumber of millionaire households
Hawaii 6.41% 28,363
Maryland6.26%133,299
New Jersey6.22%197,694
Connecticut6.15%82,837
Virginia5.51%166,596

Now **** off, as I need to work to keep the millionaire lifestyle I'm so accustomed to. Any further discussion, we could meet in person. I'd love to take you out... Maybe we could even introduce you to your first woman?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
TT1

Quote:
Wrong. You were trying to vomit dogmatic phrases and statistics from 2007 (DOW over 14,000!!) all over this page because it's (I'm sure) the only human interaction you have. When we were talking about percentage of millionaire households, you couldn't see this, because I'm sure "Does not compute... Does not compute" flashed across your motherboard.

Top 5 states by HNWIs (more than $1 million, in 2009)
Percentage of millionaire householdsNumber of millionaire households
Hawaii 6.41% 28,363
Maryland6.26%133,299
New Jersey6.22%197,694
Connecticut6.15%82,837
Virginia5.51%166,596

Now **** off, as I need to work to keep the millionaire lifestyle I'm so accustomed to. Any further discussion, we could meet in person. I'd love to take you out... Maybe we could even introduce you to your first woman?
^^^^ That clearly reads***** MILLIONAIRE HOUSEHOLDS*************.

In the metro/city list, it clearly reads ******** MILLIONAIRE INDIVIDUALS*******.

Notice the difference?

And now back to the states list? What?! Back to square one, again?? Did already you forget what I taught you about the NYC metropolitan area and the states it spills into?

Shall I post that dreaded chart once more?

FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD.

You've already lost the argument and you know it.

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by TT1; 05-28-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Oh, there's no "argument." You're all over the place too! (See how much more effective and less obnoxious it is when you get "cutesy" to emphasize a point.)

We are going in circles, you believe what you want. You can pick and choose when you want to switch between GDP and GDP per capita , household and individual, etc. until your heart explodes.

"I never once said a ticket to New York City is a guaranteed way to strike it rich. It isn't. The vast majority of people who move to New York City will never be rich."

Thank you for at least giving ONE piece of relevant information. That was the most cognizant thing you said all day. And yes, you didn't physcially type "A-T-I-C-K-E-T-T-O-N-E-W-Y-O..." but your overinflated (dated) statistics might give someone the wrong idea... That's all I was implying. Man, for "book smarts," you lack elsewhere...

The only thing you taught me is how I successful I was as a parent. I'm sure when Glenn Hubbard... Errr, on second thought. Peace out! It's a holiday, office closes early!

Last edited by bransonUptown; 05-28-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 PM

39 posts, read 143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenewyork. View Post
Well to people like me (and most of my peers)...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (and a better life)

People don't move to cities like Orlando or Raleigh (or whatever budget-conscious middle-America town is en vogue now) to strike it rich and perhaps become a somebody. People that graduate and move to places like that are content with meager existence, aren't chasing wealth and the fine things that come along with it and could care less about "making it". There is nowhere on the planet with as much wealth/million dollar jobs/high net worth folks as NYC and its environs.

If you look at what cities attract the most grads from the top schools, it's NYC (also Silicon Valley, DC, Boston). Slackers usually end up in some Podunk cheap "family friendly" town, immediately have children and live a life of mediocrity. You go home (to Podunk) and see your friends/family who were all unambitious who are in their early/mid twenties with two kids, trapped in some low-class unsophisticated city with their crappy car, miserable low-class uninteresting job, lousy income, living a boring miserable and uninteresting life and thank God you had ambition (and taste) and didn't follow in that circle of mediocrity.

I would know...I'm one of them who had dreams escaped and achieved most of them

So glad to know that you've fulfilled your dreams and escaped a life of boredom and misery. Let's hope you never experience financial difficulties that may result in your returning to that circle of mediocrity! Better yet, let's hope that you stay forever healthy (both mentally and physically) so that you may never need to reply on Section 8 housing or any other public assistance funding that is available today - because if another one of your dreams is fulfilled, these services will no longer be around.

"Put a beggar on horseback and he'll ride to hell"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City