Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,681 times

Advertisements

I'm weird and always thought the younger you are when you move to NYC the better, and more opportunity...So first question (and it is a dumb one), Im 26, and need a year to save before I can go. Is 27 too old to go to NYC? haha Im impatient and I wannna move now before I'm too old!

But anyways, here is the real question. I don't have anyone to move with! One of my ex bfs offered his couch for ONE month, but come on...So how do I make the leap if I'm going alone? It's scary enough to move from Florida to NYC, but doing it alone discourages me and makes me doubt myself. Is it possible for me to do it alone, has anyone here known someone who pulled it off? I know anything is possible, but NYC is expensive and intimidating to leap too. My biggest fear is that come a years time, I will have the money to move out, and chicken out because I have to go alone. If I don't go before Im 30, I know I will regret it for the rest of my life. Even if I fail, I have to try. Any advice? Also, how do you get over the intimidation about making the leap? I have visited there 3 times and loved it. And when I'm there I'm not intimidated, but the thought of going there with only a few thousand dollars in my pocket, no job and no real family to fall back on freaks me out!!! Ahhh, I am setting myself up for a mid life crisis if I don't go....I need to grow a pair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM

20 posts, read 51,000 times
I just did it today.

I'm 22, just graduated, found a job and bought a plane ticket. I'm staying with a family friend while I look for a permanent place. She is the only person I know in the city.

I know once I start my job and find a place to live I will start meeting more people, but right now, its really weird. I had to do it though, it was an opportunity that I needed to take.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM

169 posts, read 489,902 times
Just do it.....check out this site for apartment info....and NO....living in the outer boroughs will not rob you of the NYC experience.....renting an apartment in Manhattan will rob you of that few thousand dollars you saved...hahaha

But really, maybe post your resume on monster.com....if you have no job skills....maybe enroll in classes/school over here...and wait tables or tend bar to pay the bills.

I'm from Queens, myself....have family out here, but have pretty much been on my own...in my own place...since I was 20. And I'm no CEO or anything.....but I'm doing good now...have a small condo and a couple of cars.....lol...and I eat on a regular basis...hahahaha

And ALSO...you are never too old to live in NYC.....lol

Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 AM

467 posts, read 1,866,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellewrong View Post
I just did it today.

I'm 22, just graduated, found a job and bought a plane ticket. I'm staying with a family friend while I look for a permanent place. She is the only person I know in the city.
Excuse moi? You found a job... where...? I graduated in January and had a PT job, but am looking for a FT one, which I cannot find. Haha.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 AM

20 posts, read 51,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Excuse moi? You found a job... where...? I graduated in January and had a PT job, but am looking for a FT one, which I cannot find. Haha.
I just graduated with a degree in textile design, my instructor hooked me up with someone who worked in the city, her company was hiring, it worked out really well for me.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Do some networking before you go. Also, put your plans on Facebook. You may find that you have a friend from high school who has a cousin with an apartment in Brooklyn, etc.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
You'll be fine. Take the ex up on the couch offer for a month, get situated, and make sure you have enough money saved up. EVERYTHING is available here. Know your niche and where you belong, frequent those places, you'll meet people.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
To be safe, you really want AT LEAST 6 months of living expenses saved up. I would suggest at least $10k. The UI rate is around 10% here. That's not to say that you won't find something in a month, but you want to be VERY prepared. It's a very expensive city.

Things to think about and to help you plan:

Budget: what do you expect to earn, how much rent can you afford, are you willing to room with other people. What marketable skills do you have and does NYC want them?

location, as in which borough.

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum. There is a lot of info there. There are also a lot of threads that may help you.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I did it at 22 and left the city at 26 - it was an amazing 4 years! I didn't know anyone, moved there with an internship & a 1-year lease with a fellow intern (who I met about 3 weeks before we moved in together) and ended up full-time with an amazing company doing my dream job after a 5-month internship.

As long as you have had a career in Florida (college education + 5 years experience doing something- sales, marketing, finance, teaching, etc), you should be able to find a job long distance in NYC. You need to be persistent, network like crazy, and NOT move until you have a job.

If you'll be making under $50k, you'll need to know how to budget like crazy in order to make ends meet and have leftover cash to save for your future. If you can make $50-80k, you'll have a nice life with a roomate. Over $80k, you'll be able to live alone and add "extras" like travel, investing, & shopping as you climb the income ladder.

You'll need at least $5-7k up front for moving costs, first month's rent and security deposit, and possibly a broker's fee...though you can find a place to live on your own without a broker (I did- 3 times).

If you do decide to move without a job, you'll need $5-7k for the above, plus a minimum of $1000-2000 per month of living expenses so you can eat, dry clean your interview suits, go home for Christmas, etc.

NYC is wonderful, whether you move there at 22, 32, or 62, there's something for everyone in the city!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annawhat123 View Post
My biggest fear is that come a years time, I will have the money to move out, and chicken out because I have to go alone. If I don't go before Im 30, I know I will regret it for the rest of my life. Even if I fail, I have to try. Any advice?
Live your life with as few regrets as possible. Work hard, save up, take the leap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City