Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,416 times

Advertisements

Ellenville is shaky. I find Ellenville to be full of recovering addicts of some sort. Most people in the area will not be truthful because they want to make it seem as if it's a good area. The drugs of past are not far gone. The area prisons make it easy to keep around considering they stay in the area once the leave prison and their families relocate there to be close to the incacerated family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,452 times
"FULL" of recovering addicts? I doubt the number comes to more than 1 or 2%, if even that, which is hardly "full." Where do you get your claim from? "MOST" people will not be truthful? Again, what is the basis for this canard? Are you just repeating rumors and myths and bigoted assumptions? Seems like it.

My wife is a former teacher here and the elementary and middle school has always had a stellar reputation for quality. In real numbers, crime is low, particularly violent crime; Ellenville is far more a Mayberry than a Baghdad!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,948 times
. Ellenville is not full of drug addicts! Ellenville is not the best town in the world, but I find it to be safe and a great place to raise children. It is a small country town, that still has the tiny bit of city excitement. Beautifull mountain views, and great school system. I know the school is great because my sister in law failed in many other school, and now she is to graduate this year. I honestly use to think ellenville was digusting by all the RUMORS that I heard. That was until I met my boyfriend and moved in with him. I came to love Ellenville and all the surrounding towns near it. Overall it is quiet, fun & sae for children.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,860 times
Kryo AKA Krulick. In constant consumption of Ellenville. You call everyone who responds to a question a bigot. You repeat the same statements over and over again. Mayberry/Baghdad, Strawslinger/name caller/Slinger, racist/bigot.. Stop calling names when you don't like to receive the name calling back.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martwall View Post
Ellenville is shaky. I find Ellenville to be full of recovering addicts of some sort. Most people in the area will not be truthful because they want to make it seem as if it's a good area. The drugs of past are not far gone. The area prisons make it easy to keep around considering they stay in the area once the leave prison and their families relocate there to be close to the incacerated family.
What is with these Smellenville threads ? It's loaded with ex cons recently released from nearby pens near Kerhonkson and Woodbourne. As is the case with Liberty and Montighetto. The armpit of the Catskill Region. You have to drive over a 2000 foot mountain or drive to Wartsboro, I mean Wurtsboro to climb over a more gradual grade to get to any real shopping in Middletown.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,377 times
To be fair to everyone you can assume that the tri county area of Ulster Sullivan and Orange counties all have serious drug issues. Prescription drugs have been given out by doctors like candy to their patients who have pain, and in many cases not properly monitored leading to addiction. When the prescriptions stopped and the cost of pills on the street exceeded that of heroin. Many people became addicts.

It doesn't matter whether you move to ellenville, newburgh, pine bush , new paltz, kingston etc. or where have you. You're going to to be introduced to the drug problem there. Some towns, police force and medical profession deals with the problem better than others. All the towns I've mentioned have positive and negative traits. All these towns are picturesque, and have an historical backgrounds. Their all surrounds by the Shawngunk mountains which has 1000,s of acres of hiking, biking and horseback riding trails. Beautiful cliffs and lakes. They also have drugs

I would not even attempt to advise you on where to go to raise your child. Perhaps think about the things that influenced you in a positive way as a child to help you decide, then see which community fits this best.

Good luck in your search

5 O'Clock World

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times
Here's a question for you all: are there any decent places in the Ulster/Sullivan/Monticello region?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 AM

390 posts, read 608,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Here's a question for you all: are there any decent places in the Ulster/Sullivan/Monticello region?
It depends on what your willing to spend for a place to live or rent? What is your budget?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM

23 posts, read 78,108 times
As with most cities big or small living near the heart of the city will bring some shady type elements..but as you venture outside..like in Ellenville it gets pretty rural pretty quickly. It has the Prison and if you are aware of "Prison towns" what they are like and the people who live near them enough said. back in the 60's Ellenville was nice. The surrounding areas around ellenville have suffered economically though over the past 12 years...so many small businesses tried and failed to make a go of it. if you like quiet the area is fine...but shopping is the dilemma ..They built a Walmart across from the Prison so that's close but your choices are limited..you will have to drive...and Rt 209 in the winter is a embarrassment unless you have 4 wheel drive and great snow tires for your long trek to work. I work with a Woman who doesn't even attempt to come to Kingston for work if the snow is going to be 5 inches or more for she has gone off the road too many times.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryo View Post
"FULL" of recovering addicts? I doubt the number comes to more than 1 or 2%, if even that, which is hardly "full." Where do you get your claim from? "MOST" people will not be truthful? Again, what is the basis for this canard? Are you just repeating rumors and myths and bigoted assumptions? Seems like it.

My wife is a former teacher here and the elementary and middle school has always had a stellar reputation for quality. In real numbers, crime is low, particularly violent crime; Ellenville is far more a Mayberry than a Baghdad!

Did you know the Reading proficiency of the local elementary school in Ellenville is less than 20%? That is not stellar. Here are the abyssal ratings for the school according to Greatschools.org
[url=http://www.greatschools.org/new-york/ellenville/793-Ellenville-Elementary-School/quality/#Test_scores]Ellenville Elementary School - Ellenville, New york - NY - School quality[/url]

Maybe compared to the surrounding area that is good, but, that is enough for our family to say NO to Ellenville. Sorry. FYI, do you know the literacy rate in Baghdad? Not Canard, just facts...

Just found your response distasteful, and overblown. Especially the mention of the schools being stellar.

And for such an incredibly small town, 10 nearby drug addiction rehab centers? And multiple support meetings for recovering addicts? It's great that Ellenville is working so hard to help it's addict population, but, spewing hatred for mentioning the addict population isn't going to help either. [url=http://www.recovery.org/browse/ellenville-ny/]Rehab: Ellenville Alcohol Treatment & Drug Addiction Recovery[/url]

I know, I know, those 10 facilities aren't all IN Ellenville, that would be shocking, because you would have to have one on every corner, and you don't even have that many traffic lights. Ok, you have a few traffic lights... but, seriously. Addiction is worth mentioning, and supporting them through the recovery process is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York