Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times

Advertisements

As an Upstate transplant I've learned in the past few years just how important gorcery and convenience stores are. ALL directions are given via Price Chopper, Hannaford's and Stewart's. "Go 2 miles till you get to the Hannaford then you bear left, go about 3 more miles until you see the Price Chopper on your right, keep going about another mile and you'll come up on a Stewarts, make a right and you're practiacally there . . .

Took some time since I was used to the Long Island method - directions are more - You get off at Exit . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
It beats "just follow this road about a mile to the first road to the right. You can't miss it. Gibbs' honey bee barn will be on your left. Drive on that road until you cross the railroad tracks: there'll be a white house on your right and a very large pond just beyond it on the left. Turn right there rather than going straight up the hill. Drive until the road ends, then turn left. Drive a half mile ..."

Old 07-27-2013, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 23,811 times
Loved #10. It's always so annoying when people just assume you're from the city when you say you're from New York. Oh, and the map showing the dividing line marking where upstate New York truly begins? Wonderful! I remember an old forum that I discovered back in the 90's about upstate NY and sure enough, the most recent thread was a huge argument over where exactly the dividing line was. I always tell people that NYS is made up of 3-4 very different regions: metro NYC (including close in Long Island towns); the Hudson Valley; the North Country; and then everything to the west of Albany (my apologies to folks who prefer that area to be called Central and Western--I stand corrected!). Being from the Mid-Hudson area, I didn't recognize a lot of the items on the list (but living in metro DC area and having a fabulous Wegmans, I certainly recognized that wonderful supermarket as well as the very nice Hannaford (that was in Raleigh NC for a few years--I think they moved back north).

Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
HAHA Love it.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I loved it, though I'd never heard of Stewart's.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's eastern NY's version of Wilson Farms or now, Seven Eleven.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Yeah .. I was unfamiliar with some of that as well

Some I just wouldn't agree with (Brueggers, North Face) .... but it is a large state, so you know........

9,10,11 are all on point

15 is amusing - it's like some people don't understand the difference between buffalo wings and hot wings

16 was true growing up ..... there was always one that had 2 hour delays while we were trudging in

17 & 18 are great as well .... although I was only lucky enough for #18 on very limited access

19 & 28 are true for me

All the getting drunk ones are classic .... because that is simply what is done

36 is probably my favorite though .... even in our little area there were some pretty intense rivalries, air of superiority, etc ..... looking back none of the towns were really that fantastic, but you just needed to dump on the other ones ..... I did this during the past month when I was back home .... I was talking with this girl at the bar who moved away but comes back frequently, which was perplexing .... I started off dumping on my own town, but then caught myself saying "well you are from X, so that could explain why Y would be worth visiting - about anything is better than X" - this came less than a week after spending time in "X" and having a conversation with my brother and people I know who live there on how it's exactly like my home town, just a little smaller .......... just something that cannot be helped

Bonfires and their cousin the pig roast do indeed rule

Community College nicknames are constant ..... for example Corning Community College is frequently called either "Harvard on the Hill" due to it's location on Spencer Hill ...... Also known as the "Spencer Hill Institute of Technology" ...... Tioga is TC3

45 is another one of my favorites - I really miss farm fresh items and was fortunate enough to hit some stands on my recent visit

We also had a drive in, so yes!

One that wasn't mentioned that my wife brought up is what we consider to be major routes ........ sure there is the thruway, the interstates and a couple other "major" roads .... however, a lot of time was always spent crossing on 2-3 lane "routes" that would occasionally drop you into a tiny village or put you in some pretty massive rural area where the next thing you know you're on top of some hill

Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

My town only has 2 traffic lights but has 3 Stewarts . . .

Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Yeah .. I was unfamiliar with some of that as well

Some I just wouldn't agree with (Brueggers, North Face) .... but it is a large state, so you know........

9,10,11 are all on point

15 is amusing - it's like some people don't understand the difference between buffalo wings and hot wings

16 was true growing up ..... there was always one that had 2 hour delays while we were trudging in

17 & 18 are great as well .... although I was only lucky enough for #18 on very limited access

19 & 28 are true for me

All the getting drunk ones are classic .... because that is simply what is done

36 is probably my favorite though .... even in our little area there were some pretty intense rivalries, air of superiority, etc ..... looking back none of the towns were really that fantastic, but you just needed to dump on the other ones ..... I did this during the past month when I was back home .... I was talking with this girl at the bar who moved away but comes back frequently, which was perplexing .... I started off dumping on my own town, but then caught myself saying "well you are from X, so that could explain why Y would be worth visiting - about anything is better than X" - this came less than a week after spending time in "X" and having a conversation with my brother and people I know who live there on how it's exactly like my home town, just a little smaller .......... just something that cannot be helped

Bonfires and their cousin the pig roast do indeed rule

Community College nicknames are constant ..... for example Corning Community College is frequently called either "Harvard on the Hill" due to it's location on Spencer Hill ...... Also known as the "Spencer Hill Institute of Technology" ...... Tioga is TC3

45 is another one of my favorites - I really miss farm fresh items and was fortunate enough to hit some stands on my recent visit

We also had a drive in, so yes!

One that wasn't mentioned that my wife brought up is what we consider to be major routes ........ sure there is the thruway, the interstates and a couple other "major" roads .... however, a lot of time was always spent crossing on 2-3 lane "routes" that would occasionally drop you into a tiny village or put you in some pretty massive rural area where the next thing you know you're on top of some hill
For all that NYC dominates the state, and that when most people think of our state, they think big cities, most Upstaters who live outside of those cities are basically hillbillies. Pig roasts, bonfires, drinking beer out in the woods or down by the "crik", deer season, pumpkin smashing ... all time honored traditions in Upstate New York.

Technically, open fires in the city of Jamestown are illegal but if you don't have a well-used fire pit in your backyard, your house is seriously ill-equipped -- like not having central heat or something.

All the original drive-ins in Chautauqua County bit the dust years ago, but about 8-10 years ago, somebody built a new double screen one out on Foot Avenue Extension. It's doin' well -- the lines are out on the road on Saturday nights.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM

137 posts, read 218,441 times
So when I leave, Im going to have to import my Birch Beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York