Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just like this Florida article, as it doesn't show who is moving there by age and that can have an effect on the economic situation there, as well as things such as school funding for an example. Retirees without children could care less about the schools, but they add to the population.

Here's some more info: Census data: Retirees flocking to Florida again - Tampa Bay Business Journal

Florida poised to overtake New York in population - Tampa Bay Business Journal

To say that retirees aren't fueling this doesn't make sense.

People also forget about the people that move to suburbs out of state in NJ, CT or out to PA. So, people could still be in the NYC metro, but live out of NY State.
If I may ask, ckh, you seem to defend NYS a lot on here, in fact one of the most ardent defenders of the Upstate region. You state that you are just presenting the facts, but a number of people, myself included, have shown cases where the facts are really nothing more than a straw man, and/or are skewed in some fashion to fit the premise that you are defending.

So my question is: given similar pay, similar house, similar job, is there a location in the United States that you would prefer over the Syracuse / Upstate NY region? In other words, if you could live anywhere and keep the same living standards, would you choose to live in Syracuse or choose to live in another region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
I'm just presenting information that people aren't going to look up and that takes the emotion out of it. I never said that Upstate NY was the best place ever or that if you leave, you are crazy for doing so. I could care less. My point is to show that you can find pros and cons about anywhere and I've done that in regards to Upstate NY, as well as other locations.

As for me, to be straight honest, I'm blessed to have what I have. Many people would trade with me and to blame an area, state, city or any other entity for not having more of something I can't take to the grave with me, doesn't bother me. That's not to say that a person should persue more either. I'm just a different dude that has spent too much time on here to help people I don't even know. So, it isn't about putting anything down or boosting anything up, but giving proper information to help and empower people. At the end of the day, people are going to do what they want to do with any information they get or see.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
I'm just presenting information that people aren't going to look up and that takes the emotion out of it. I never said that Upstate NY was the best place ever or that if you leave, you are crazy for doing so. I could care less. My point is to show that you can find pros and cons about anywhere and I've done that in regards to Upstate NY, as well as other locations.

As for me, to be straight honest, I'm blessed to have what I have. Many people would trade with me and to blame an area, state, city or any other entity for not having more of something I can't take to the grave with me, doesn't bother me. That's not to say that a person should persue more either. I'm just a different dude that has spent too much time on here to help people I don't even know. So, it isn't about putting anything down or boosting anything up, but giving proper information to help and empower people. At the end of the day, people are going to do what they want to do with any information they get or see.
This is a great ethic to live your life by, but respectfully, you didn't answer my question. For you, is Upstate the best place to live in the country? Or is there an area that you would prefer over Upstate NY (all things being equal in your standard of living)?

Of course, you don't have to answer me if you choose not to, but I think an answer would give many posters here a better perspective.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This is a great ethic to live your life by, but respectfully, you didn't answer my question. For you, is Upstate the best place to live in the country? Or is there an area that you would prefer over Upstate NY (all things being equal in your standard of living)?

Of course, you don't have to answer me if you choose not to, but I think an answer would give many posters here a better perspective.
Let me put it this way, I'm fine living up here and for my situation, I'd probably stay, as I have some flexibility here. With this said, I could live pretty much anywhere due to my upbringing in terms of the South and other regions, living in a mostly White community, a college town, a diverse setting, military towns, working class to affluent towns, big cities/metros, etc.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
New York can thank itself for this.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:

Well, take Florida for example.

Its actually irrelevant who is moving to Florida. The bottom line is Florida is going to soon have more people than NY, regardless of what pros and cons both NY and Florida may have.

You seem to want to only show the pros of upstate NY, to the point where it almost comes across as false advertising.

There's nothing wrong with preferring to live upstate, if that's your choice and preference. But there's no point is trying to deny the fact upstate NY is not a growth part of the country. It just isn't.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, take Florida for example.

Its actually irrelevant who is moving to Florida. The bottom line is Florida is going to soon have more people than NY, regardless of what pros and cons both NY and Florida may have.

You seem to want to only show the pros of upstate NY, to the point where it almost comes across as false advertising.

There's nothing wrong with preferring to live upstate, if that's your choice and preference. But there's no point is trying to deny the fact upstate NY is not a growth part of the country. It just isn't.
There isn't any false advertising. I posted information from media outlets and that is now false advertising. Stop it man.... I've been saying that parts of Upstate have grown and some haven't. Why that seems to go over your head, I don't know, but I've been saying that forever on here. I've mentioned pros and cons, if you have ever read my posts.

As for Florida, who cares, to be honest? Like I mentioned before, there are other metrics in which NY seems to be doing fine in, in comparison.

Lastly, how this thread has survived with the off topic conversation, I don't know.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
/\

Slow month....

Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
There isn't any false advertising. I posted information from media outlets and that is now false advertising. Stop it man.... I've been saying that parts of Upstate have grown and some haven't. Why that seems to go over your head, I don't know, but I've been saying that forever on here. I've mentioned pros and cons, if you have ever read my posts.

As for Florida, who cares, to be honest? Like I mentioned before, there are other metrics in which NY seems to be doing fine in, in comparison.

Lastly, how this thread has survived with the off topic conversation, I don't know.
Apparently the New York Times cared. Apparently, people on this thread cared. And apparently the federal government will care in 2020 when New York loses Congressional seats and federal funding due to going down to 4th place.

Now you're saying some parts of upstate NY haven't grown and some have. But you were making all sorts of exaggerated claims about upstate (the public transportation alone). But none of that is really relevant to the politics effects that continued decline across big parts of upstate NY are going to have on NY state politically and economically.

And Governor Cuomo cares. Unfortunately his initiatives haven't done much to stem decline in NY. Perhaps one day NY will be able to address some of these issues, top it from losing the 4th seat (where it will be this year) and going further downhill in population.

Btw, I loved upstate NY and don't regret going to school there and living there. But me liking a place doesn't mean I would gloss over an area's problems. There are good things about upstate. (Beautiful scenery, the schools, excellent bus service in some areas if something happens to your car, etc.) Unfortunately the economy is not one of those good things.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:43 PM

I understand the issues that Upstate faces and the public transportation was in comparison to similar areas in the South. With that said, there is no reason to not state positive aspects in Upstate either and given that it could be a state in and of itself, it is going to vary in the way states vary in regards to population and other aspects.

As for Florida, the dynamics will change with an increase in population, but it has also lost people in recent years and estimates have been shaky too. So, we'll see.

Also, the gap between 4th and 5th is wide enough that if NY drops, it should be no worse than that for a while. NY is also a victim of its own geography, as the CA, TX and FL has metros that are overwhelmingly self contained within those states, whereas NY does not. It isn't an excuse or anything, but that makes a big difference when making these comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York